March 29, 2024, 03:58:52 AM

News:

Sidecar wheel seals

Started by fleetmechanic, March 27, 2019, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

March 27, 2019, 07:08:28 PM Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:45:24 PM by fleetmechanic
On the HD sidecars from '83-'97 there is a drum brake and the inner wheel bearing is a larger Timken than is used on the bike wheels because of the larger axle diameter.  The HD # for the seal was 87114-83 and they are obsolete and Vintage Parts doesn't have any.  I have a list of dealers around the US that might have any but does anyone know where seals can be sourced by using the dimensions?  This is a plastic seal with steel outer face and outer rim.

14Frisco

Quote from: fleetmechanic on March 27, 2019, 07:08:28 PMThe HD # for the seal was 87114-83
Are you sure it is 87114-83 and not 87714-83?

kd

March 27, 2019, 08:26:32 PM #2 Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:56:31 PM by kd
I'll be following this post closely. I expect the 98 updisc brakes will be similar in that the inner brg is larger. They have a large axle too.  I have 2 98's and it may may be wise to stock up on a few.

I have seen NOS parts for the early drum style on eBay. Search Harley sidecar side car.  There was a couple guys that were sitting on big stashes that they were slowly unloading. 

I used to have a couple of those early drum style too but I didn't care for the caged bearing set up.  It would wear and cause brg slack that couldn't be adjusted out (and it would then damage the seals).
KD

FSG

fleetmechanic

87714-83 is correct.  That was a typo.  But the story remains the same.

Rusticwater

Support the Maine lobster industry

sfmichael

ask and you shall receive  :up:

this site is great  :SM:
Colorado Springs, CO.

PoorUB

Most any decent industrial bearing supply can match up seals and bearings, as long as they are a standard size. SKF  and Chicago Rawhide are two big names. They should have online catalogs.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fleetmechanic

March 28, 2019, 07:59:34 AM #8 Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:38:24 PM by fleetmechanic
KD,
The '98 and '99 sidecars with the first disc brakes have an axle that is 3/4" all the way across so the inner and outer seals and bearings are the same Timkens used on all the bike wheels up through '99 and are widely available.  The larger inner bearing last appeared on the '97s.
Then 2000-later use the 3/4" sealed bearings for the newer style wheels.
Poor UB,
I'll follow your tip.
Thanks
Update:  The seal is made by SKF and is a #12428 and they are available online.

kd

Thanks for that.  You know, I think I knew that too.  I think I remember when servicing the bearings noticing the fact they matched the brgs and seals on the bikes. (these are 95th Anniversary rigs)  I keep spare brg cup, cones, and seals. I haven't been using them much lately and I service them only at tire changes. At my age there isn't enough room left on the hard drive to keep that info on the top page so I do get a little confused.  :hyst: :hyst:
KD

skunk

John,
  Measure the axle and the bore diameters and take the  old seal over to Whisler bearing, Stapleton drive north (I-70 / Colo Blvd area) If they don't have it in stock they should be able to find them for you. Another option is Rocket seals, S. Lipan st. I have had very good luck with both of these vendors in the Denver area finding the seals/ bearings I have needed.

FSG

considering that the older head stem bearings were the same as the run of the mill househole trailer 1" stub axle bearing

I'd bet you could source the seal and bearing if needed at the local automotive/NAPA store

fleetmechanic

March 28, 2019, 05:56:48 PM #12 Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:18:52 PM by fleetmechanic
Quote from: skunk on March 28, 2019, 04:22:59 PM
John,
  Measure the axle and the bore diameters and take the  old seal over to Whisler bearing, Stapleton drive north (I-70 / Colo Blvd area) If they don't have it in stock they should be able to find them for you. Another option is Rocket seals, S. Lipan st. I have had very good luck with both of these vendors in the Denver area finding the seals/ bearings I have needed.
The larger Timken bearing is still available from HD even though the seals are not.  I ordered a couple from the dealer and I'll get the Timken # from one and then go out to see if I can find the seals and bearings locally.
Thanks

PoorUB

Any numbers on the old seal? Other than the HD P/N?

fleetmechanic

Yes.  The SKU # is 12428.  It's stamped on the metal face.

PoorUB

fleetmechanic

I know the photo is a sample of the style and not the exact seal.  But that is the part # from SKF, so that is the right one.

cbumdumb

And you can get them at most Napa parts stores