96" S&S sidewinder kit in early delkron cases. Blow by & pinion questions

Started by scootertramp, March 08, 2019, 10:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

I just picked up a 91 FXRS with the above mentioned set up. It is set up with the later rockers and breathers but is just spooging oil out of the lower and upper breathers! Using a Jims oil pump also. We pulled the cam cover to take a looksee and the pinion shaft is scored only on one side where it rides in the bushing. What might cause that and should I just roll the dice and run it? Engine ks strong! The blowby issue is killing me. The guy I bought it from disconnected alm thwines going to the air filter because of the blowby. When I got it home the lower breather was spitting oil out whenever I revved it. Here I thought I was breaking the tire loose on the way home and all it was really was an oil saturated tire...lol
Been a tramp for over 40 years...

xlfan

Was it running early or late cam cover gasket?

I would check pinion shaft runout.

turboprop

Should probably start by doing compression and leak down tests. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

JW113

Agree with Xlfan, if the pinion shaft is scored it soulds like the flywheels are tweeked.

When you say set up with late rockers & breathers, what does that mean? You can't just put the late boxes on and make it a head breather. The heads are different. Did somebody machine them out to convert them to head breathers?

What timing cover is being used?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Show stopper clue, pinion shaft worn on one side!

Spin the crank with the cam cover off, if the pinion wobbles it's game over for the crank.

Check the cases carefully, as this kind of damage is really hard on the bearing inserts in the cases.
As well as the big end bearings and pin bushing.

Is there any metal mud in the bottom of the cam chest?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

even if the lower end is out of true,that still wouldn't be a cause or effect for the blow by,if your only running head beathers,the delkron cases are set up to run both top & bottom breathers.like stated,do a leak down & indicate pinion,probably time time for a rebuild

Hillside Motorcycle

One thing in regards to those early Delkron cases, is that the left side cast-in bearing area has had a notoriety of coming loose, as we have repaired those in the past.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

Quote from: prodrag1320 on March 15, 2019, 04:48:50 AM
even if the lower end is out of true,that still wouldn't be a cause or effect for the blow by,if your only running head beathers,the delkron cases are set up to run both top & bottom breathers.like stated,do a leak down & indicate pinion,probably time time for a rebuild

Fixing any top end issues would become a "while you're in there" thing if the crank is doing the Watusi
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hillside Motorcycle