March 28, 2024, 11:03:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starter Ring Gear

Started by Deye76, November 22, 2018, 06:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

November 22, 2018, 06:23:28 PM Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:02:03 PM by Deye76
In the process of gathering parts to change the clutch in my 92' FXR to a clutch for 98' & later. So I have a clutch basket from a 2004, the 92' clutch has a 66T ring gear and a 9T starter pinion gear, when I look at 66T ring gears I see different part numbers for 90'-97' than 98'-07'. Not sure what ring gear I should order. When I caliper the ring gear mounting holes for both early & late clutch baskets the distance is the same. Do the teeth have a different pitch (if that's the correct term) on a 66T for a early and 66T for a late?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hbkeith

the one I got says 98-08 , clutch I got is 2002 , haven't tore my 92 apart yet but hoping I got correct one . and I didn't get a pinion with it  :scratch:

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on November 22, 2018, 06:23:28 PM
In the process of gathering parts to change the clutch in my 92' FXR to a clutch for 98' & later. So I have a clutch basket from a 2004, the 92' clutch has a 66T ring gear and a 9T starter pinion gear, when I look at 66T ring gears I see different part numbers for 90'-97' than 98'-07'. Not sure what ring gear I should order. When I caliper the ring gear mounting holes for both early & late clutch baskets the distance is the same. Do the teeth have a different pitch (if that's the correct term) on a 66T for a early and 66T for a late?

You cannot use any of the harley 66 tooth ring gears on the '98-'06 clutch basket. You must use an aftermarket 66 tooth ring gear that is made to go on that clutch basket. Pick a repackager that you like as they are all probably made on the same machine in China.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

hbkeith

I got this one       https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Bikers-Choice-148165-Starter-Ring-Gear/232986512215?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Deye76

The part numbers I'm referring to are the aftermarket Zippers, Barnett, Bikers Choice. I'm wondering if the 66T ring gears for 98' and later are meant to work with those years smaller pinion gear. Being it's a holiday weekend, I have to wait until tomorrow to try speak with a tech from one of aforementioned companies.

hbkeith

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on November 25, 2018, 04:15:53 PM
The part numbers I'm referring to are the aftermarket Zippers, Barnett, Bikers Choice. I'm wondering if the 66T ring gears for 98' and later are meant to work with those years smaller pinion gear. Being it's a holiday weekend, I have to wait until tomorrow to try speak with a tech from one of aforementioned companies.

The 66 tooth ring gears, regardless of what year group clutch basket they are on, are all designed to work with a 9 tooth pinion gear. I assume your FXR is using a '93 or earlier primary case. If that is accurate, the OEM 9-Tooth pinion gear will work with any clutch basket that has a 66-Tooth ring gear. If the primary drive case is '94 and newer, it will need the 9-Tooth Conversion pinion gear. If you have a '94 and up case, I have several of those pinion gears that you can have for free (Admins, no need to delete this post like you did the other post as nothing is being sold).
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

Thanks turboprop, my pinion is a 9T.  :up:

hbkeith, "let us know what they say"

the difference between the early and late (source: Barnett) ring gears is the inside diameter. You have the right one. If your bike has a 9T pinion gear your good to go.

Evojoe

I just installed a compu-fire Ring pinion gear set and it was a pos, gears banged together 50% of the time.. So I bought the Barnett Ring & pinion set and everything works perfect.  I had rather have to do it once and done so Barnett with both gears in kit is the ticket.

JW113

I know this is an old thread. Just wanted all to know I used the search function before posting.
:SM:

Like Deye, I'm converting the primary drive in my '92 to the later 25/36 ratio. Bought a primary drive set from ebay for a 2002 RK. But rather than trying to adapt the 9 tooth starter gear, I want to change to the 10T set up.

I just put a 70T rear pulley on the bike, and frankly, not so happy. Final drive ratio is 3.37:1, which when you get up to 80mph and beyond, is winding the motor into the not pleasant viby zone. A couple hundred RPM less would make a big difference. I think for how I use/ride the bike, the 3.15:1 ratio would be better.

My outer primary cover is crap, the chrome is very pitted and scratched up. I bought a cover from ebay, it is in very nice shape but turns out it's from a '95 and later. The bushing for the starter drive is much smaller than the one on my '92. So must be for the 10T start jackshaft setup?

To use the stock clutch basket from the '98+ set up, and use that same starter ring gear, is all I need to do is get a jackshaft from the same vintage? ('98-'06)

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber