April 19, 2024, 03:56:18 PM

News:

progressive 440

Started by joepenoso, June 18, 2019, 02:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joepenoso

I bought brand new at least 10 years old progressive 440,s. They any good ? not listed on Progressive web site....must be out of production?
Thanks
joepenoso
:scratch:

boooby1744

These are 440's, circa2009

Ohio HD

If you're looking for a nice ride, no, they're stiff as hell. Compression dampening is really firm, rebound is a little slow. They're great if you have short suspension travel like a Street Glide, and ride hard on back roads. I run them, but I ride the bike hard. Your forks will feel wimpy as they're much softer.

I think 444 replaced them.

92flhtcu

As stated, replaced by the 444's, back to your question, they work good on some app's and not so good on others,.
What bike, riding style, what length shock, what is your expectations?
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

If you've got them already, put them on and you tell us how they work for you.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

cpiccarr

I bought the 444 for a 2010 Road Glide. The bike comes with 12" air shocks stock that suck. Spoke to the Progressive tech  a few time said to buy the 12" 444 would be great. I asked about buying the 13" want a better ride, he said 12 will be fine. Guess what , not a very good ride and not really good support from them. Bought Ohlins 13.25"huge improvement. Yes more money but they work. Goo
d luck.

PC_Hater

I've had 440's on the back of my Road Glide for many a year.
They have damping!
They top-out when riding fast on bumpy roads, as did the OE air shocks.

If they ever wear out enough to notice on a big tourer then perhaps Ohlins are in my future, but my ideal would be air shocks with damping.
Easy to adjust for differing loads.

(on-board air-compressors are NOT an option! I remove things to get the weight off... Unwanted things like radios and speakers)
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

guido4198

I dropped Progressive as an option that I would ever consider after I had a 412 on my 1985 FXR BREAK...actually break in two.. just above the lower bolt.
That shock was about 2 yrs old. I called Progressive to ask if they were aware of any "issues" with 412's around that time and the guy I spoke to told me if I wanted better service life I should have bought a more expensive shock to begin with.
ALLLrighty then...that response told me all I needed to know. 

chaos901

Quote(on-board air-compressors are NOT an option! I remove things to get the weight off... Unwanted things like radios and speakers)

FWIW, the on-board compressors are small and don't weigh much, they typically mount under the battery compartment.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

rbabos

I put 444s on my v rod. Splitting hairs to notice any difference over stock. Better shocks have a means to adjust compression and rebound damping and without that, it's just a dumb old cookie cutter shock. Spend the extra and you won't regret it.
Ron

tdrglide

I put a set of 440's on my 92 fxr about 5 years ago. First set, one shock right away started leaking. Sent them back and they replaced them right away. As for performance,  meh. Doubt they are much better than original stock. I'm sure I could do better.  I think the only real performance upgrade I got was from going to a 13" shock from the 12" beat up 412's previous owner had installed.

Langwilliams

I scored some 12" 444's for a hundred bucks. I popped them on my '14 street glide an IMO they are are better than the air/oil stock ones I took off. The biggest improvement to me was minor bumps an imperfections in the road. harsh stuff they get firm quick. My next set of shocks will be 13" with 1" lowering blocks or JNR air ride.