March 28, 2024, 09:56:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

120r with new cams

Started by Chicagoguy, February 05, 2019, 09:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicagoguy

Ok i am thinking about.  Changing  My cams to get some more low end power.
The stock se266 and very good cams top end but i want something more low end too so people i am talking to are telling me to go with the redshift 657 or woods 408 i really don't know a lot about this stuff  i know from reading up that the woods cams is a  little bit more  noisy   then  redshift  maybe you guys can help me out    I running  stock 120r. With 58  stock bottle body  And d&d. Boarzilla  pipe with  Thunder max tune

TorQuePimp

The 657 is a great cam.....you do not have enough compression to make use of it
Get the heads down to about 90 CC ,.030 head gasket
Then you'll be in business

prodrag1320

llok at the 625 t man cams,set them between 10.25-10.5-1

Chicagoguy

Thanks guys what about woods cams ??

Hillside Motorcycle

February 06, 2019, 09:24:37 AM #4 Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:27:39 PM by Hillside Motorcycle
Our go-to Wood cam in those, is a 9B.
Hands-on facts.
Plug and play only with outstanding results from first hand experience, not regurgitated info.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

itsafatboy

maybe the TMAN 660ps ,  I run the TW9BG in a 116"  with a +2 advance ,at 11.3 comp. and its a beast ,  the TW9F with a +4 advance was also a beast if your setup for it , compression wise ,  but the lower TDC of the 9BG works well ,  I also ran the TW8G and if you want the best low end it is the best cam I got 132hp 140tq  but a little noisy on the ramps mine is gear drive though , but unless your running a higher compression it really does well at 10.5 to 10.8 and in a 120 maybe even less comp,  it also has the lowest overlap of the cams listed and for EFI I like less overlap just me but I like getting the fuel in then shut the valve , and the TW8 does that it is only 590 lift but in the 116 it was a beast did make for a touchy throttle being such a short cam.  I also run the TMAX and love it ,  these are just my opinions on what I have tried .  ive gone through a lot of cams the one I would like to try is the 660PS but not sure worth the change for the $$ from the 9BG, 

funny but when I had the lightweight lifters in, the bike spooled up so fast they were aluminum floating lifters a new design didn't go to well though, and I used light pushrods it revved crazy fast the guy at shop said he never rod a bike that spooled up that fast , and that was with the TW8G , funny how lightening the rods and lifters could make that much difference,  sorry for rambling     

Ohio HD

Overhead cams give the same advantage to a valve train, less mass moving around.

Chicagoguy

It's OK for rambling   It's good to know  about all this stuff guys 👍

TorQuePimp

If you like valve train noise.....bolt a 9B in with the stock springs
At 10.4 ish compression....that's all you'll have

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Rsw

Quote from: TorQuePimp on February 07, 2019, 05:06:21 AM
If you like valve train noise.....bolt a 9B in with the stock springs
At 10.4 ish compression....that's all you'll have
Bout the same thing I experienced with it. But I'm not a professional

Barrett

What springs would be needed going from .658 to .630 lift? 

Hillside Motorcycle

capn

Dave Mackie 598. Quiet better, low end than 266.

Timinator

I tried the 657s and now the 627s (slightly less lift but more duration), and as of late I have retarded the 627s 4 degrees (the 627s are advanced 5 degrees from the factory) to get more top end. The 266s have a bit more duration and a wider lobe center. P.S. my engine is a 117 w/MVA heads (slightly worked) and makes 135.86 HP at 5930 RPM. Looking for more top end, as I have more torque than I need in my CVO Breakout. 
Anybody have any experience with the 266s and 627s?  TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR THE INCOMPETENT!!!

Hillside Motorcycle

S&S .640 as an example, or the .675, if wanting more hp.