March 28, 2024, 01:52:35 PM

News:

newer oil pan cleaning

Started by Hybredhog, February 09, 2019, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a '11 bagger engine after the owner lugged the chit out of it & hammered the rods. So I was kind of fretting about the newer oil pans with the fixed baffle (manual, &  on here say PIA). But after seeing it, Why can't I just mill off/ spot drill the retaining pin heads, flush & remount the plate with screws (Loctite of course). I was thinking I'd have to take it to a radiator shop for a flush, but it doesn't look like that big of deal. Any problems with the  theory?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

ecir50

Would like to see one with baffle removed.

choseneasy

I thought I read that is exactly what guys do on here? Sorry, not more specific but that is what I would do.

Chippitt68

Most believe that you cannot clean them thoroughly. When I had my trouble I bought a new one. There have been reports of brand new cam plates for Harley having junk inside them out of the package, who's to say that the new oil pan is clean when you get it? Jim at megaflo did my cylinders and I discussed this with him. I took my old pan up to him and he made the top removable. I'm not a machinist, not sure how exactly he did it, but, the top can be removed, pan cleaned and re used.

Hybredhog

I don't see why you can't get it clean once the top plate is removed, exposing the casted laborite ridges. There appears to be plenty of material for tapping new holes where the stock crimp pins were, so its a go in my book. HD just wanted to sell more pans, go figure.   
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Heinz

Let us know how the removal of the plate went and what size screws you are using after drilling and tapping. A bonus would be a picture of the oil pan without the top plate on it.

PoorUB

Someone posted the whole operation not long ago!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Heinz

Quote from: PoorUB on February 09, 2019, 03:07:53 PM
Someone posted the whole operation not long ago!

I tried several search terms and couldn't find it. I guess haven't mastered the search technique yet. The post by Ohio was helpful but it didn't include the information I was hoping to find.

JMHD

I pulled a new style pan off a bike to clean it for an engine swap and someone had already drilled the spots off and threaded the bosses for Allen screws because they polished the pan (custom bike). Who ever it was did a nice job, I unbolted the baffle, cleaned the pan and assembled with loctite. Good to go!

PoorUB

Pretty sure the answer was to machine off the rivets or pins, what ever you want to call them, drill and tap for 1/4"x20 screws and assemble with locktite.

It ain't rocket science!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!