March 28, 2024, 02:43:18 AM

News:

Spherical Swing Arm Bearings

Started by Deye76, May 07, 2019, 07:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

In all the years of riding and working on these bikes, I've never had to go inside a swing arm. I'm going to install a spherical bearing kit in a swing arm for my 1992 FXR. I'm starting with a swing arm given to me that has all the guts removed. What do I need in the way of special tools to install the kit? The directions that came with the kit doesn't tell me much, and neither does the service manual as far as this kit is concerned. Any help much appreciated.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

rredneckn2

Years ago I did a fxr with a kit from custom cycle engineering and it came with aluminum press plugs.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

TN

I just installed swingarm bearings in my 09 bagger, was straight forward and no special tools involved, except the press. I did it because I had the engine and tranny out for upgrades and thought since I was in that deep why not. Fixing to replace neck bearings too, while I'm at it.

It was a slippery slope that got me. Every bearing has been changed or new on build. I hope to have her up and running in a week er so.
Just Ride..........

Deye76

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on May 07, 2019, 07:11:14 AM
In all the years of riding and working on these bikes, I've never had to go inside a swing arm. I'm going to install a spherical bearing kit in a swing arm for my 1992 FXR. I'm starting with a swing arm given to me that has all the guts removed. What do I need in the way of special tools to install the kit? The directions that came with the kit doesn't tell me much, and neither does the service manual as far as this kit is concerned. Any help much appreciated.

I am close to swapping arms on one of my FXRs. I will be pulling an '02 bagger arm with CCE bearings. Let me know if you want my old arm.

Note to Admins - Keep your panties on, I am offering this to my friend John, Not selling anything. No need to delete this like you have done to similar posts of mine.   
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

May 10, 2019, 05:19:00 AM #5 Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:33:50 AM by Deye76
Very generous offer, many thanks, but I'm starting with a FXR swing arm, given to me by your friend David B. I'm having it modified by Kevin Verkest. Already have bearing kit.

apes

Quote from: Deye76 on May 10, 2019, 05:19:00 AM
Very generous offer, many thanks, but I'm starting with a FXR swing arm, given to me by your friend David B. I'm having it modified by Kevin Verkest. Already have bearing kit.

interesting modification, what is it designed to do,

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on May 10, 2019, 05:19:00 AM

Understood. I like the mod the Fab Kevin does to these arms.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.