March 28, 2024, 12:54:02 PM

News:

Oil pump alignmennt pins

Started by flht1550, May 15, 2019, 08:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

I'm looking for a pair of the longer twin cam oil pump alignment pins. I think years ago they were needed for the fueling oil pumps. Also thought someone on this forum used to make them. Any help locating these would be great. Thanks

chaos901

I'm sure that CA PHIL can hook you up with what you need, GEORGES GARAGE sells them too.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

calif phil

KenR was the fine Chap that made them.   :up:

88b

kd

May 15, 2019, 12:00:17 PM #4 Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:02:44 PM by kd
I have a set too. In a pinch you can use brass 1/4" air line ferrule sleeves slipped onto 1/4 " bolts and wind them in to center the holes. They will do the same thing.  You will have to ensure the bolts are not too long that they bottom out or too short so as to pull the threads when snugged up.
KD

Norton Commando

Quote from: kd on May 15, 2019, 12:00:17 PM
I have a set too. In a pinch you can use brass 1/4" air line furrel sleeves slipped onto 1/4 " bolts and wind them in to center the holes. They will do the same thing.  You will have to ensure the bolts are not too long that they bottom out or too short so as to pull the threads when snugged up.

That sounds like what I used for aligning the lifter stools on EVO engines.  Perhaps, then, lifter stool alignment pins will work as as an alternative?
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

les

I've used the JIMS pins on EVO lifter blocks, and twin cam plates from Feuling, SE, S&S, and the OEM plates.

flht1550

yes I know that there are S&S & Jim's and other and other methods to perform what I'm doing but this question in for the long alignment pins. Thanks for the replies but only interested in trying to locate a set of two LONG alignment pins. Thanks

Coyote

MikeL

Bought a set from Amazon $6.49 for the pair shipped prime.

MIKE

les

Quote from: flht1550 on May 15, 2019, 02:48:06 PM
yes I know that there are S&S & Jim's and other and other methods to perform what I'm doing but this question in for the long alignment pins. Thanks for the replies but only interested in trying to locate a set of two LONG alignment pins. Thanks

I see.  It appears there is knowledge I'm lacking.  Please educate me on long alignment pins and what situations they are needed.  I'd like to learn.

flht1550

I believe the longer pins came into play years ago with the early fueling oil pumps as well ask a couple other aftermarket pumps.

FSG

Quote from: flht1550 on May 16, 2019, 06:25:14 PM
I believe the longer pins came into play years ago with the early fueling oil pumps as well ask a couple other aftermarket pumps.

very true

Note: the original pins were for the Lifter Block Alignment on Evos and earlier, they were just convenient for HD to use on the TC's Oil Pump

kenR made his own (pic below) and probably still sells them

mike jesse

jrgreene1968

Quote from: mike jesse on May 16, 2019, 07:36:34 PM
I find them unnecessary.

Me to, I've got a set of the regular ones from George's, but don't think I've ever used them

Coyote

flht1550

I understand that some feel that these are unnecessary and I will not argue with anybody about this but myself I'd like to have a set. To those wishing to choose to not use them I'm happy your good with the way you choose to do it. I happen to like the pin idea. Thanks to Coyote and FSG for the suggestion to contact Ken R. I did message him and he also said it had been a long time since making any of these but said he could make me a set. Good luck to everyone with there projects and safe riding.

les

I just went out in the garage and grabbed a Feuling plate and pump I had on the shelf for an upcoming build.  I was wrong.  Thank you for the education.  I'll be getting a set of long pins first chance I get.