Rockout Rocker Inserts

Started by Rockout Rocker Products, December 06, 2015, 02:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockout Rocker Products

Sorry Fidel, I did get your email.... thanks.

John
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

fidel

its for a twin cam payment send

Rockout Rocker Products

Got it, thanks. Packed up, will ship tomorrow.

John

Rockout Rocker Products

Still looking for volunteers to try Rockouts in Sportsters & Evos. All you have to lose is the tapping  :up:

Happy holidays from all of us at Rockout  :beer: :beer:

turboprop

Has anyone tried these in S&S billet or cast rocker boxes?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

joe_lyons

Just wanted to let others know that these worked in sportster rocker support plates.  I just did the front support plate(warranty job) and there is a noticeable difference between front and rear where both were noisy before.
2015 XL1200 1600 miles.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: joe_lyons on December 26, 2015, 04:32:55 PM
Just wanted to let others know that these worked in sportster rocker support plates.  I just did the front support plate(warranty job) and there is a noticeable difference between front and rear where both were noisy before.
2015 XL1200 1600 miles.

That's great to hear!

So school me on Sportsters a little.... are they like twin cam engines in that the rocker assemblies are all the same... 883, 1200, etc? All years or only some?

Would you change anything about the kit to make it work better in Sportsters?

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

John

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: turboprop on December 26, 2015, 08:28:57 AM
I don't know about the S&S assemblies. They do work in all twin cam, and SE forged. I have heard they are a little too small for Woods offset supports, but I'm working on that.

If you have the S&S assemblies & want to be a tester, let me know.

John

FSG

December 26, 2015, 05:26:02 PM #33 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:55:07 PM by FSG
QuoteSo school me on Sportsters a little.... are they like twin cam engines in that the rocker assemblies are all the same... 883, 1200, etc? All years or only some?

Sportsters with the Evo Engine use the same Rocker Shafts and Rocker Arms that all Big Twin Evo and TCs use.  But like the Big Twin Evo their support is built in to the Inner Rocker Cover and they use different bolts to a TC.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,87675.msg996752.html#msg996752

Rockout Rocker Products

December 26, 2015, 05:34:11 PM #34 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:59:27 PM by FSG
Quote from: FSG on December 26, 2015, 05:26:02 PM
QuoteSo school me on Sportsters a little.... are they like twin cam engines in that the rocker assemblies are all the same... 883, 1200, etc? All years or only some?

Sportsters with the Evo Engine use the same Rocker Shafts and Rocker Arms that all Big Twin Evo and TCs use.  But like the Big Twin Evo their support is built in to the Inner Rocker Cover and they use different bolts to a TC.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,87675.msg996752.html#msg996752

Great information, thank you.

Since Joe said my inserts worked on his Sporster, I have to assume at least the bolt diameter is the same?

FSG

QuoteSince Joe said my inserts worked on his Sporster, I have to assume at least the bolt diameter is the same?

Yes the Sportsters started using the same bolts as the TCs in 2001 or 2002, but I'd still like someone to put a P/N 3500A (Evo) alongside a P/N 1039 (TC) and measure the diameter of the bolt where it passes through the notch.

turboprop

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on December 26, 2015, 04:45:29 PM
I don't know about the S&S assemblies. They do work in all twin cam, and SE forged. I have heard they are a little too small for Woods offset supports, but I'm working on that.

John

I have the both types of rocker boxes and will try them on the next build using the case boxes. Will post the results here and if needed any adjustments. My knee jerk reaction is to hope the bolt holes in the S&S supports are slightly smaller than the harley supports and can have enough material to allow them to be reamed to the proper size to use these.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: turboprop on December 26, 2015, 07:25:21 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on December 26, 2015, 04:45:29 PM

John

I have the both types of rocker boxes and will try them on the next build using the case boxes. Will post the results here and if needed any adjustments. My knee jerk reaction is to hope the bolt holes in the S&S supports are slightly smaller than the harley supports and can have enough material to allow them to be reamed to the proper size to use these.

Please PM me your name & shipping address & I'll send some your way.

Thanks,

John

Valley

Great fix. Do they remove easily if you have to replace shafts?

Rockout Rocker Products

They tap out from the bottom. Since they're tapered they push right out once you move them a short distance. You need a sharp round punch so it catches the edge of the insert rather than slipping past it.

Most times you can reuse them, sometimes not if the edges get buggered.

VIN1800

Installed them on my 2012 Street Bob, nice and quit now.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: VIN1800 on December 27, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
Installed them on my 2012 Street Bob, nice and quit now.

That's great to hear!

Thank you for your purchase and your feedback.

John

Rockout Rocker Products

January 03, 2016, 08:30:47 AM #42 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:01:37 PM by FSG
Hey all,

Just  quick update in the Rockout world...

Been kinda out of it, taking a break for the holidays. My day job gets pretty hectic this time of year. Still, I haven't been slacking (much) :)

Had a request to make some inserts for Woods offset supports. Initially not something I plan to offer as I have to figure the volume would be pretty low. But a couple of brothers were in a bind so I made a few up...

Then I noticed an old Sportster rocker box I had laying around and...

.... we'll see... :)

I make the regular Twin Cam inserts at about 1000/hour, these .... um... slower than that. lol But if they are a universal fit then that opens up possibilities.

Speaking of Sportsters, anyone wanting to test out some Rockouts in theirs just let me know.... I'll be offering these soon & woud like to get some feedback.

I've got some exciting new stuff in the works, including a completely new design. Have to keep quiet for now until patent approval... my ideas seem to migrate to other's products.

Speaking of which...

There seems to be some confusion about the origins of my installation method, let me clear that up...

One of the great things about the internet is it provides a historical record. Things that can't be argued or changed. Here's some data...

It's no secret that the original rocker inserts were a joint venture of myself and another party. That joint venture ended here... 8-26-15 post #152 http://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-rushmore-models/1058869-the-tapping-the-quest-is-over-16.html The post directly above that shows the product at that time. I was (and am) 50% owner of that product as marketed, including the patent rights to it. Notice the contents of the kit. The installation method at that time was to loosen all the support bolts while still on the bike, let the plate rise up and install the inserts there. I still have one of those kits and the instructions here in front of me. There was also a video at the time showing hammering them in with a ball peen hammer on the bench.

I announced my own Rockout kit on 9-4-15 in post #176 here...

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-rushmore-models/1058869-the-tapping-the-quest-is-over-18.html post #176. (BTW, my username there at the time was Bikerscum). Notice the contents listed in my kit...

"The kit includes the inserts, 2 Viton O-rings, simple installation hardware, & complete instructions."

Here is a picture of my kit as introduced and the other kit at that time...

In fact, my kit was so different I started a whole new thread about the installation method here... http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1074778-a-word-about-installing-rockout-rocker-shaft-inserts.html

As I said, this is all verifiable history, nothing to argue about. If you see another kit with the 2 o-rings, a nut & a washer in it the method was copied from me, plain & simple.

It is easy to say you're the first, a lot harder to be the first.

Fact... I found & cured the Harley top end tapping problem, first.

Fact... I was 50% responsible for bringing the first commercial product to market to solve that problem.

Fact... I developed the installation method in widespread use today.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Now off to the shop....

Durwood

I just used your product in my last customer build and ordered an extra set for the shop mule.

Hat's off to "tapping" into a long existing but never commercially addressed issue. Pardon the pun. :teeth:

BTW nice product.

Daren

Rockout Rocker Products

Thanks Daren, your support is very much appreciated.

John

Rockout Rocker Products

Just a quick spy photo from the Rockout R&D dept....

While it's fun to theorize about things, I have a pretty good grasp of what is, and just as importantly what IS NOT going on in there :)

Back to work...

Tattoo

will they work with The Screaming Eagle rocker support?
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Tattoo on January 06, 2016, 05:11:44 PM
will they work with The Screaming Eagle rocker support?

Yessir, just like the stock supports.

John @ Rockout.

Tattoo

I just bought a set from E-bay. thanks....

WES
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Rockout Rocker Products

Thanks, they'll be in the mail tomorrow.

John