March 28, 2024, 12:01:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Can an ECM be changed to avoid warranty refusal?

Started by Ken R, May 31, 2019, 08:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

I got a little off topic there. Having two ecms to cheat and try to keep warranty seems off putting in the ways mentioned, fraud, the constant changing of the unit, etc. You must travel with it and change it on the side of the road if you have a problem and need it towed in. Not worth it to me, if I modify it and tune it, that's how I want it to run. I do it with full knowledge of the consequences.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

jmorton10

LOL, I have purchased two new Harleys over the years (last time in 2002) & with both I made mods that would void the warranty in less than a week.

I have never once taken my bike to a dealer to be worked on for any reason so I could care less about a warranty..........

~John

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Ken R

I'm on my 4th Electra Glide Ultra since 2002.  We've tuned the 2002, 2010, 2013.  I'm afraid to do anything at all to the 2019 Limited.

2002, no warranty.  I had about $1,500 in out-of-warranty expense that would have been much more had I not made the repairs myself.  Maybe 3 times or more as much.
2010, 6 years total warranty.  The cost of the dealer-fixed warranty items exceeded the $1,350 cost of the ESP. 
2013, 6 years total warranty.  The cost of the dealer-fixed warranty items FAR EXCEEDED the $1,600 cost of the ESP.  New engine (minus the cases) a couple of months ago was $5,000 alone.  I also suffered a half dozen throttle by wire failures, a Harmon Kardon radio failure, a clutch pack failure, and several other covered failures totalling over $7,500! 

I bought the ESP for my 2019 Limited because of my experiences with the ESP on the prior two motorcycles.  It cost about $1,800. 
I can fix just about anything that breaks myself.  But the dealership searches for other items while it's in the shop and fixes everything whether it has totally failed or not. 

There are other reasons beyond warranty reimbursement for maintaining the ESP.  Namely, HOG Road-America has much better benefits should a covered motor break down  on a trip.   I travel maybe 10,000 miles a year more than 100 miles from home.  It's comforting to know that my out-of-pocket expense to get towed to a dealer and repaired so I can continue my trip will cover most expenses.  No esp after the initial 2 years and the rider gets no help.  Trips are expensive.  Being able to resume is a good thing.

Quite honestly, the M8 motor is as powerful as I need.  It's heads and shoulders over the TC-88 in my 2002 that couldn't climb a long Interstate hill without slowing down (WOT). 
The 2010 and 2013 tunes were simply to get the most efficiency out of my motor.  (103, CR575 cam, CVO mufflers with Fulsac baffles, and SE air cleaner).  When we compared gas mileage during trip fill-ups, I wanted to snicker at the others.  :wink: :wink:

I would like to try the Screamin' Eagle High Flow exhaust system.  But I won't spend that kind of money on a new kit without hearing it. Sound is important.  Not loud, but deep. 

So for now, I'm leaving it stock.  With the two major issues with the M8 (and maybe 3 issues if one includes the 3rd gear stripping thing), the warranty for this motorcycle could be more valuable than the rest. 

Ken

Ancient

Quote from: Ken R on May 31, 2019, 08:47:35 AM
I haven't had a bike that wasn't tuned using Power Vision in something like 10 years (3 motorcycles).  Now that the Motor Company voids warranties if they find that the ECM has been tuned by an unauthorized device, I'm afraid to have mine tuned.  It's under warranty for the next 5-1/2 years and my experience with the extended warranty has been fabulous on my previous two motors. 
Ken

So, if we look at it from a different perspective, your other 3 bikes should have been denied coverage also, correct? I realize you're trying to find a way around the new moco procedures but look at it this way, you porked them on the other 3 bikes repairs so your ahead for awhile yet. Congrats.
Greg

Txwezl

The only possible way is to use a Tmax which replaces the stock ecm and if a warranty issue arises then switch back to the original one.

JMHD

I would say the safest way and least amount of stress when traveling would be stock or the screaming eagle high flow exhaust with an air cleaner and the street tuner. The high flow exhaust has decibel killers that can be removed with three rivets exposing threaded inserts that you can screw the endplate back on with. It is by no means loud but it has a nice tone when riding, another bonus is it moves the cat to the mufflers so you don't cook your leg. Just my thoughts, because riding an m8 without warranty right now would be stressful enough. Hope that helps.