March 29, 2024, 05:31:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Riding Boots

Started by hd06, December 24, 2018, 05:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06

Time for some riding boots what is a good all season boot.  Thanks

Coff 06

For me it's just my Danner hunting boots.Wear them year round so its natural to wear them on the bike also.When I get somewhere I have no trouble with my boots hurting my feet when I'm walking around.Their waterproof and have thinsinate insulation.Been wearing them for 30+yrs
            Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

PoorUB

Danner Striker uniform boots, Goretex lining very waterproof. Only downside is they are a bit warm in the summer, but not too bad.

I am looking for a light weight hiking boot, but something that covers the ankles, I can't find anything so probably stick with the Danners.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on December 24, 2018, 07:30:38 PM
Danner Striker uniform boots, Goretex lining very waterproof. Only downside is they are a bit warm in the summer, but not too bad.

I am looking for a light weight hiking boot, but something that covers the ankles, I can't find anything so probably stick with the Danners.

:agree:

The only ones I wear anymore.

Paniolo

How about Corcoran boots?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

92flhtcu

Poor UB----Bates make a Summer Duty boot that is really comfy and light, 8"
Model #E02260, I but right off Bates site, $105, not waterproof

I ride with those sometimes, but my most used riding boots are Red Wing Engineer boots, however, when it is truly hot out, I wear the Bates, the airflow thru them is pretty nice
Need a bigger garage

PoorUB

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 25, 2018, 05:30:32 AM

I ride with those sometimes, but my most used riding boots are Red Wing Engineer boots, however, when it is truly hot out, I wear the Bates, the airflow thru them is pretty nice

I will look into them. I would like to find something with Goretex lining for wet weather.

ndmp40

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 25, 2018, 05:30:32 AM

The Bates is a nice three season boot.

1workinman

Quote from: Coff 06 on December 24, 2018, 07:11:47 PM
For me it's just my Danner hunting boots.Wear them year round so its natural to wear them on the bike also.When I get somewhere I have no trouble with my boots hurting my feet when I'm walking around.Their waterproof and have thinsinate insulation.Been wearing them for 30+yrs
            Coff 06
I ordered  for the GF a pair of the Danner boots , she likes them for ridding when its cold. I was going to order me some and use my boot alliance so it must have the protective toe , there are two styles that seem to be what I want insulted and water proof , one has the protective outer cover one does not . My work boots has the outer protection but I don't know if that is necessary for a ridding boot . I never realized that so many liked Danner boots. My father used those 30 plus years ago but I did not want to spend the money then , not a problem now lol 

76shuvlinoff

Not a traditional old school boot but Merrill hikers work great for me, they cover the ankles with a padded collar, "water proof", and light as sneakers when you get there.  Good for just about any terrain.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Chippitt68

Quote from: 1workinman on December 25, 2018, 06:00:00 AM
            Coff 06
I ordered  for the GF a pair of the Danner boots , she likes them for ridding when its cold. I was going to order me some and use my boot alliance so it must have the protective toe , there are two styles that seem to be what I want insulted and water proof , one has the protective outer cover one does not . My work boots has the outer protection but I don't know if that is necessary for a ridding boot . I never realized that so many liked Danner boots. My father used those 30 plus years ago but I did not want to spend the money then , not a problem now lol
Just make sure you get the made in USA Danners. They have a line made overseas as well.

Coff 06

Quote from: Chippitt68 on December 25, 2018, 09:38:17 AM
            Coff 06
Just make sure you get the made in USA Danners. They have a line made overseas as well.

I always buy directly from Danner :wink:            Coff 06

tommy g

Several years ago at an MC show Wesco outa Oregon was there and built a pair to fit me.
Sturdy and comfy riding boots for certain.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

tommy g

Wearing "thinsulate" is like wearing a plastic bag to me, I wonder if goretex would be superior?
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Moparnut72

I also wear a pair of Danners. Best boots I have ever owned. I wear them when I am awake. I have worn Redwings, Carolinas, Wolverines, Hawthorns and Whites but the Danners have been the best. The ones I have were made in Viet Nam and are of excellent construction and quality. I was told that Danners were made in the US when I ordered the ones I wanted. They weren't but I felt obligated to take them since I had the shop order them. I have no complaints though.and would recommend them whole heartedly.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

dirty jim

Quote from: tommy g on December 25, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

Wearing "thinsulate" is like wearing a plastic bag to me, I wonder if goretex would be superior?

Gortex is waterproof, Thinsulate is an insulation. I have warm feet so Thinsulate just cooks my feet, of course trying to find boots with just Gortex is almost impossible.

Moparnut72

I have a terrible problem with my feet. I have suffered from compression ulcers on the balls of my feet. Thinsulate was a major factor in selecting these boots. Hoping the prevent the problem this winter with no happiness. I have since figured that a blood thinner along with some other medications I take has caused the problem along with cold weather. Limping for most of the winter is no fun and good boots help a lot. I also have some custom fitted arch supports.
kk

mrmike

I've been wearing my duty boots from work (firefighter) for years now, I get waterproof insulated, steel toe with a side zip. Danner's  and Bates are both good as are 5.11's. I just got another pair and couldn't find the same combo with steel toe this time around so I'm wearing a pair of Rocky jump boots, waterproof, insulated with the side zip.

If you go to the website for Gall's you can check out a ton of duty boots.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

1workinman

Quote from: Coff 06 on December 25, 2018, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: Chippitt68 on December 25, 2018, 09:38:17 AM
            Coff 06

I always buy directly from Danner :wink:            Coff 06
Yea I did before and tomorrow I will buy me a pair thanks Jim

JW113

If you like old school, cannot beat Wesco. I bought a pair of the custom fitted engineer boots in 2001, and wear them whenever I'm on a bike. Many many miles, and waterproof. Earlier this year the stitching in the foxing let go, and I sent them back to the factory. What came back was essentially a brand new pair, they replaced almost everythign. Real happy!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

ViseGrips

I use Dakota 8 inch work boots with composite toes and comp shanks with thinsulate and they are water proof...I also wear thick socks...even in my sneakers during the summer..my feet don't seem to sweat as much even when our temps here reach our max of about 80 degrees..they give me the protection and comfort I need while riding or working around outdoors.. I prefer the higher boots to protect my ankle bones...had the skin rubbed off to the bone on a road slide years ago and learned a little lesson......so ; like the ol' saying goes ..'' if the shoe fits wear it'' eh... :wink:

chaos901

I wear tactical boots, sometimes by Bates, sometimes by others.  Good support and comfortable, get them insulated with GoreTex.  Often wear them when not riding too.  I buy them from the LA POLICE GEAR website, dozens of options from which to choose. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

calif phil

Quote from: JW113 on December 25, 2018, 06:50:34 PM
If you like old school, cannot beat Wesco. I bought a pair of the custom fitted engineer boots in 2001, and wear them whenever I'm on a bike. Many many miles, and waterproof. Earlier this year the stitching in the foxing let go, and I sent them back to the factory. What came back was essentially a brand new pair, they replaced almost everythign. Real happy!

-JW

I also bought a custom made pair of Weso's around that time.   I wear them whenever I ride and they are still doing great.  I think they were $650 back then, but still cheaper than buying Chinese Harley boots that only last a year or so. 

Snowyone

I bought a pair of Tony Murga western boots at Sturgis years ago.  They are made of Alligator skin and the most comfortable boots I have owned.  On their second sole and still feel great.  Also a bit more class that hiking boots.  They've been through rain, sleet, and hail(or is that hell) and still holding up.

spdrcr

Red Wing #4420. One pair for work and another for riding.

PC_Hater

Army boots, bought used from the shops that sell used military gear.
Over the years I have had ex-US Army boots leather lined and very nice indeed. Whoever broke then in for me did a very nice job!
Ex-German Army Paratroop boots lasted about 10 years.
British Army ProBoots are excellent, I am using those now, and you can get them fully waterproof with a Goretex lining.

Steel-toe Doc Martens are good too.
I never did get on with engineer boots but I do have a nice pair of Spanish made cowboy boots for tootling around on nice summer days.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Bladesmith

I hate boots with laces..I wear Ariats all  the time on and off the bike; there good looking, extremely comfortable, relatively inexpensive, and last a long time.....The only trouble is their made in China [just like Harley jackets]
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

PoorUB

Quote from: Bladesmith on December 27, 2018, 02:01:24 PM
I hate boots with laces..I wear Ariats all  the time on and off the bike; there good looking, extremely comfortable, relatively inexpensive, and last a long time.....The only trouble is their made in China [just like Harley jackets]

I like lace up boots. Slip boots may slip off at the wrong time. I have seen videos of guys crashing and before they hit the ground their boots go flying off.

hd06

Thanks for the output on boots I am checking on Danner Striker they look like a good riding boot.

1workinman

Quote from: PoorUB on December 27, 2018, 02:08:04 PM

I like lace up boots. Slip boots may slip off at the wrong time. I have seen videos of guys crashing and before they hit the ground their boots go flying off.
Well I have both but my work or lace up , but I like my western style boots also  ,

1workinman

Quote from: hd06 on December 27, 2018, 04:19:32 PM
Thanks for the output on boots I am checking on Danner Striker they look like a good riding boot.
Ordered a pair of Danner yesterday lace up around 250 I think , I have a pair of red wing I had for a few years and wore them twice I guess there ok

build it

Custom Wesco Harness, nice boot but break in was months; mine are leather lined, I don't think I'd do that again. A pair of redwings full lace up with a safety toe works well too. If and whn I need a new pair it'll be a set of tactical boots for sure.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

moose

these are what I use with the gortex and they are super light
https://lapolicegear.com/nsearch/?q=bates+gortex
Moose aka Glenn-

Paniolo

I know I asked earlier, but has anyone tried Corcoran boots? They make a set that is military and LEO grade. I'm looking for something that is long day wear with support and traction.  When riding cross country I like to stop at national parks and hike a bit. I'm not a big fan of the mesh outer and soft rubber soles. I prefer leather with a Vibram sole.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

PoorUB

We do quite a bit of hiking and my Danner Strikers work well for that too. The sole is not that soft, but not as firm as a vibram sole either. I have hiked miles in them over some pretty rugged terrain.

Coff 06

I use the Danner Canadian,their 10" tall and quite pricey. I can walk all day in them,their as comfortable as an old pair of tennis shoes.          Coff 06

1workinman

Quote from: Coff 06 on December 28, 2018, 10:24:14 AM
I use the Danner Canadian,their 10" tall and quite pricey. I can walk all day in them,their as comfortable as an old pair of tennis shoes.          Coff 06
i remembered a long time ago my father bought danner boots , i bought red wing my feet froze in Colorado when we went hunting he was nice and warm . He  has sleeping bag made the same way , i had  the cheap pos bag . He was nice and warm me i froze me butt off . So i ok with spending money now , i done with being cold and frozen wet

No Cents

I've been wearing Danner boots for years.

[attach=0]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

76shuvlinoff

I dunno, for some reason I have never been able to wear anything any kind of heel for very long after I get off the bike.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Don D

I got some very nice tactical boots from Amazon that zip up the side. They work great for riding and are waterproof, <$100

Coff 06

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 28, 2018, 01:03:05 PM
I dunno, for some reason I have never been able to wear anything any kind of heel for very long after I get off the bike.

[attach=0]

These are what I wear.No heel to speak of.Shoes with heels also hurt my feet.      Coff 06

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway

PoorUB

I think it is the 4" spike heel that is giving you trouble. Those in the pic shouldn't bother you! :hyst:

Coff 06

I have a narrow foot so I always buy the lace to toe style.        Coff 06

dynabagger

Just bought a pair of TCX Hero's. I also have their high top runners. Both with CE certified protection. Best boots I've owned and look totally casual for wearing anytime. I don't care for the big and clunky look.

[attach=0]

2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: PoorUB on December 28, 2018, 08:38:48 PM

I think it is the 4" spike heel that is giving you trouble. Those in the pic shouldn't bother you! :hyst:

Well played, well played.  :embarrassed:
 - Ernest Hemingway

bump

I have been wearing cheap boots from Walmart for 30 years. Can wear them 16 hrs a day, riding, hiking or working. I bought a pair of Red Wings for 4 times the cheap boots and they didn't last any longer and were not more comfortable. Have tried several different brands but am sticking to the ones that work for me.

92flhtcu

Bump-you are a lucky man
Need a bigger garage

BB Stacker

https://embed.widencdn.net/img/redwing/ly2qnu0t2d/640x640px/RW02408C_MUL_N1_0115.jpeg?position=s&crop=no&color=efece0&quality=75&u=lkbof4

I am a redwing guy. I learned about them when I was in the Navy and saw all of the pilots wearing the brown steel toes. When I got out my first employer gave me my first pair of red wings. Once they are broken in they are as comfortable as bedroom slippers. I have several pair as I get a safety shoe allowance at work.

IronMike113

I have had Wolverine Dura Shock,Very nice boot,it comes in a few varieties,and then there are those other type of boots they use with those jump suits,Just not my Style,,,,,,,,, :oops: revzilla has a big Selection
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

1workinman

Quote from: PoorUB on December 27, 2018, 02:08:04 PM

That a fact as a guy at work hit a deer on his way from work on his Road glide and his feet got messes up pretty bad because he lost his shoes not lace up

chaos901

With laced up boots, which I like because you really can adjust the fit, it is important to tuck the laces into the boot after you tie them to keep them from flopping around. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

TN

Redwing for me, I have multiple pairs of the same boot.
Just Ride..........

borno

Good boot! I have a pair of those and a pair of thorogood wellington steel toes also. I need a wedge sole for my bad foot.  :up:

lesguns

I have Redwing for Hunting and Bates side zip up for Riding!

rageglide

20 yr old Wescos... 3 resoles.   Worn almost everyday.

boooby1744

I flew out to wesco a few months ago,daughter works for jet blue. It was worth the time, nice folks and nice shop. I've always wanted a pair and so far seem to be breaking in ok.

FurryOne

I decided that if I was going to spend good money for a good boot it wasn't going to be made in some sweatshop in Asia, so I went with Chippewa 6" Chocolate Apache Steel Toe lace-ups.  They have Vibram soles, but not the chunky style.  I've had them for 5 years now, and they're comfortable to wear anywhere.

Flhfxd

Justin Boots. Have 2 pair, black and brown. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Hand made in USA since the late 19th century. A little pricey (and a little C&W) but when they're this good you just don't care about the price.

https://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/footwear/men?_ga=2.168464737.1717275161.1550888844-1207414248.1550888844
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

cmashark

My 2 favorites are my brown Belleville Fight Deck boots and 511 Persuit boots.  For wet weather, I have a pair of hiking boots that are waterproof.
2021 FLHXSE

rhuff

Wesco if it hasn't been said.  Rather expensive but supreme quality.  I also like my Red Wings, Sidi, and HD boots to a lesser extent. 

Inda Win

Quote from: rhuff on February 22, 2019, 09:50:57 PM
Wesco if it hasn't been said.  Rather expensive but supreme quality.  I also like my Red Wings, Sidi, and HD boots to a lesser extent.

Sidi....the first mention of motorcycle specific boots.

Hossamania

Quote from: INDA WIN on February 23, 2019, 05:41:47 AM
Quote from: rhuff on February 22, 2019, 09:50:57 PM

Sidi....the first mention of motorcycle specific boots.

My wife has a pair of Sidi boots, and she loves them. She doesn't normally wear boots except for riding, over the years she has tried different styles and brands. She likes the Sidi the best, most comfortable and best fitting boot she's had, light, and very protective, easy to walk in.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ironheadmike

Do people really have riding boots ? That is crazy ... I ride with what I have on my feet at the time . Why would you have riding boots ? It don't make sense to me .

rhuff

Quote from: Ironheadmike on February 23, 2019, 07:09:22 AM
Do people really have riding boots ? That is crazy ... I ride with what I have on my feet at the time . Why would you have riding boots ? It don't make sense to me .

Because I'd like to keep my ankle joint if I'm ever in a crash.  Saw my buddy who was wearing tennis shoes while have all the other gear have his ankle implode.  Him walking has never even been close to the same.

And back to Sidi.... they are just amazing.  If I could just wear them all day every day, I would. 

Hossamania

Are you seriously asking this, or just being sarcastic?

PoorUB

February 23, 2019, 09:07:32 AM #67 Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:27:23 AM by PoorUB

I wear flip flops and tennis shoes. Should I just wear them because they happen to be on my feet?

I buy boots geared towards riding, but I do wear them for everyday use too. On the other hand, if I didn't ride, I might not own boots, or there would be different considerations in what I buy.

sharkoilfield

SWAT 9" side zip boots; with composite toe cap I can also wear them at work

Moparnut72

I wear lace up work boots pretty much all the time. I am to ride at the drop of a hat. I do slip into sandals at bedtime though or when I am in a boat.
kk

Ironheadmike

Quote from: PoorUB on February 23, 2019, 09:07:32 AM

I wear flip flops and tennis shoes. Should I just wear them because they happen to be on my feet?

I buy boots geared towards riding, but I do wear them for everyday use too. On the other hand, if I didn't ride, I might not own boots, or there would be different considerations in what I buy.
I have three pair of shoes . Work boots, hikers and tennis shoes . And yes I'll ride in my tennis shoes . I don't ride my street bike like a dirt bike . I will not put my foot down on corners . I've seen too many ankles break .

PoorUB

Quote from: Ironheadmike on February 23, 2019, 04:14:46 PMI have three pair of shoes . Work boots, hikers and tennis shoes . And yes I'll ride in my tennis shoes . I don't ride my street bike like a dirt bike . I will not put my foot down on corners . I've seen too many ankles break .

Well, there you go! I might run a couple blocks to fill up on gas in tennis shoes, but pretty much 100% of the time I wear lace up boots. I don't  put my feet down either but that is not why I  wear boots. I wear them in case I get in a wreck.

Hossamania

Same here, I can go about two blocks riding in tennis shoes. I've done it maybe three times. Otherwise, always boots, even if it's 100 degrees out. I even rode in shorts once, wearing boots.

FXDBI

https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/shoes/jefferson-mid-4101000398.html?dwvar_4101000398_color=021#prefn1=collections&prefv1=Winterized&start=2

Been using skateboarder shoes and loving them. Kids got me wearing skateboard shoes 20 years ago, my feet love me for it.  Bob

smoserx1

How many of you folks who insist on wearing boots for safety reasons (and that is good IMO) will ride without a helmet?

skunk

February 24, 2019, 05:14:10 AM #75 Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:20:43 AM by skunk
Quote from: smoserx1 on February 24, 2019, 04:28:39 AM
How many of you folks who insist on wearing boots for safety reasons (and that is good IMO) will ride without a helmet?

Thats me, but then again I only wear boots. Might catch me on the treadmill in sneakers or flip flops going to the pool, other than that it's boots. I will be wearing one full time at retirement (14m 2wks) in Tennessee.

PoorUB

I will once in a while, not very often! A quick run the the hardware store is about the only time I go without a brain bucket.

rhuff

I wear a FF.  And reinforced boots.

That being said, I've ridden for 15 plus years and I am only in year 3 of wearing a helmet.  I like to think (I knew) I was an idiot for those first years.

Hossamania

I wear boots for safety, but also, and mainly, for the support they give me when stopping and moving the bike. I wear them for the function. Like Skunk, I wear boots 99% of the time, at work, casual wear, even church when I go.
I mostly ride without a helmet, though I'm getting better about using it.

PoorUB

It never fails, if I wear low top shoes, tennis shoes, I end up banging my ankles and/or scraping my ankles on foot boards or burning myself hot exhaust. Probably the biggest reason I wear boots.

My head? Rarely hit it on anything while riding so I could skip the helmet! :potstir: :hyst:

1workinman

Quote from: skunk on February 24, 2019, 05:14:10 AM

Thats me, but then again I only wear boots. Might catch me on the treadmill in sneakers or flip flops going to the pool, other than that it's boots. I will be wearing one full time at retirement (14m 2wks) in Tennessee.
:agree:

guppymech

Quote from: Paniolo on December 28, 2018, 08:33:43 AM
I know I asked earlier, but has anyone tried Corcoran boots? They make a set that is military and LEO grade. I'm looking for something that is long day wear with support and traction.  When riding cross country I like to stop at national parks and hike a bit. I'm not a big fan of the mesh outer and soft rubber soles. I prefer leather with a Vibram sole.
My brother gave me two sets of Corcoran/Matterhorn 10" boots.  They're very well built and have Vibram lug soles but they're kinda stiff for shifting the bike and with thinsulate lining they get hot.
I have some Chippewa Engineer boots but I hardly wear them for fear of them flying off in a crash.  A while back I got cocky with my ability to start my kick only FXE and went out in my Chuck Taylors, well wouldn't you know she acted up and my foot took a beating.  My go to boots are lace up unlined Red Wings that I've retired from my work.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

dogger

16 in. Wesco engineer boots, chaps, and a speedo.

calbyker69

Have been wearing "Original Swat" boots for 20 years now. Lightweight and functional. Learned a long time ago that most "riding" boots are awful "walking" boots. Have a pair of Danner insulated boots for cold weather. Just picked up a pair of Rocky Postal approved boots. Will see how they do this year.

Malazan

Got a pair of these, really nice

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AXDPRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the fact that I can lace them and not touch the laces again,just 7se the zippers to get in and out

Tynker

One of my riding buddy's bought a pair of those exact boots, before we left for a Texas hill country last year. Halfway through our trip, the left boot sole came unglued. We stopped at Walmart in Ft. Stockton and got some Gorilla superglue, and glued them back up. He rides with them all the time ,and they have never came unglued again.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

dirty jim

Quote from: calbyker69 on March 03, 2019, 10:40:12 AM
Have been wearing "Original Swat" boots for 20 years now. Lightweight and functional. Learned a long time ago that most "riding" boots are awful "walking" boots. Have a pair of Danner insulated boots for cold weather. Just picked up a pair of Rocky Postal approved boots. Will see how they do this year.

Just bought a pair at a local bike show, so far I love 'em.

smoserx1

I got a couple of pairs of Red Wings booth I took with me when I retired.  One pair is a pull on style and the other a lineman style lace-up (both steel toes).  One of the lace up shoes had some stitching that had come undone and had not been used for years so I took that one defective shoe and had it sewed up for 20 bucks.  I have started wearing the lace-ups all the time (this thread got me thinking) and I believe I like them the best.  One of the most uncomfortable pairs of boots I ever owned was a Harley-Davidson branded pair.  It is like they never broke in.

hattitude

Quote from: PoorUB on February 24, 2019, 12:23:49 PM
It never fails, if I wear low top shoes, tennis shoes, I end up banging my ankles and/or scraping my ankles on foot boards or burning myself hot exhaust. Probably the biggest reason I wear boots.

My head? Rarely hit it on anything while riding so I could skip the helmet! :potstir: :hyst:

Been riding since the '70s and have had the same experience.....

My feet, ankles, and shins have been hit by road debris, sliced by bike parts, and even an occasional burn by an exhaust.....

Other than taking one of those huge bumble bees to the forehead many years ago, my head has not been hit/bumped/scraped by anything.....

So yeah, I always wear boots, but only wear a helmet when the law requires....

To many I'm sure I look as ridiculous as those who wear a full face helmet with shorts and sneakers look to me.....