April 23, 2024, 05:52:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS Base map for cr575 cams in 2003 103

Started by Pop-pop2, May 01, 2019, 06:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pop-pop2

I could really use some help with this. The base map for my bike is with the HD 253 cam. It has 10.3:1 compression, have 210 psi ccp. Ran it long enough to check for leaks. Don't want to mess it up, but tuning on a dyno is not currently in the budget. This is not a closed loop system.
TIA

Mirrmu

kd

Quote from: Pop-pop2 on May 01, 2019, 06:55:30 PM
I could really use some help with this. The base map for my bike is with the HD 253 cam. It has 10.3:1 compression, have 210 psi ccp. Ran it long enough to check for leaks. Don't want to mess it up, but tuning on a dyno is not currently in the budget. This is not a closed loop system.
TIA

If a tune was not in the budget you probably should have waited to do the work.  Using a open loop map that hasn't been monitored to confirm the AFR and timing in a 220 ccp engine is asking for trouble.  Damage can occur in a VERY short period of running.  You could end up with the expense of redoing the engine.
KD

Pop-pop2

Kd
Thank you for the rebuke. A little back story, and I know this was mainly ignorance on my part. No, this is not a sob story, just what has happened.  Found a 2003 screamin eagle road king in 2007 that really tripped my trigger.  Did not have the funds at the time. Saved to buy one for the next 10 years. Still had to borrow some. Drove to TN to get it, from IN. It had 7k mi. on it. Put 3k on it from July to Nov. While doing the 10k service I decided to check the cam chain tensioners - toast. Pulled it apart to see what I needed and saved for another year. Had it bored, heads ported,  and went with porter's recommendations on cams. Started putting it together this spring,  then found out it was going to cost a grand to get it broke in and dyno tuned by a reputable tuner in IN. Can't afford that, so trying to do what I can, til I can have it done on a dyno properly.
Regards,
Pop

Hossamania

If you are going to all this trouble to build a nice motor, I personally would not run it without being able to do a proper break in by monitoring the heat, the afr, etc. It can be started to check for leaks and unusual sounds, but I would not just download a map that "should" be close and ride it. To me, that is just asking for trouble. Especially since the heads were ported, there is no "canned" map that I would trust to ride even short term. Talk to your head Porter.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pop-pop2

Head porter wanted me to go with a certain tuner. That tuner only uses power vision. Did not want to pay for a tune, only to be handed a thumb drive, and told have a nice day, so to speak. Already had the TTS, just not married to the bike. In all actuality,  I thought I was building a reliable touring bike with good bottom end power. I stressed greatly to my porter, that I didn't want to have to work on it, other than normal maintenance.  I work on everybody else's junk for a living, so coming home to fix my own stuff, instead of putting my knees in the breeze is not high on my list of to do's.

Coyote

Sell the TTS and buy a $200 PV license. TTS dongle or thumb drive, you're just gonna stick either of them into a drawer after the bike is tune correctly. JMO

Pop-pop2

I get what you are saying.  I got the TTS because I still need to do the exhaust.  I just need a starting point. Haven't messed with tuning a gas engine in 30 years.  Mainly worked with mechanical fuel system diesels. Gas stuff was automotive and the old Sun machines.
Besides TTS is supposed to be really good for tuning. Just was trying to go with the best products, so I didn't have to do it again. At least,  not for a long time.

Pop-pop2

Gentlemen,

Especially KD. I would like to apologize for my venting.  I was very frustrated when I previously replied.  I know you all were just trying to help. I hope you are able to forgive.

Pop