April 17, 2024, 09:51:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust leak on the dyno.

Started by 838, September 01, 2019, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My 117" had an exhaust leak we didn't catch before going in for the tune and it was tuned with the leak. Only reason I found the leak was because bike was throwing a lean code. I fixed the leak. Now I feel like the bike is running a little hotter and it doesn't like to sit at a stop light as much, couple instances of ping when hot. Could I be tricking myself or could a small leak like that change the tune enough to make this happen? Should I get it back up to the dyno to clean it up?

1workinman

Quote from: 838 on September 01, 2019, 10:15:21 AM
My 117" had an exhaust leak we didn't catch before going in for the tune and it was tuned with the leak. Only reason I found the leak was because bike was throwing a lean code. I fixed the leak. Now I feel like the bike is running a little hotter and it doesn't like to sit at a stop light as much, couple instances of ping when hot. Could I be tricking myself or could a small leak like that change the tune enough to make this happen? Should I get it back up to the dyno to clean it up?
Yea I would , I never tuned a bike ever . I watched this done a few times and the oil level was checked and brought down to acceptable levels . New plugs installed , and the exhaust gaskets were checked at the head apparently for a good reason .  I would not think about riding with a lean condition or excessive rich either . Like I said I never tuned a bike . I heard of lets install a base map and ride it for 500 miles and come back then an a final tune  Not for me that is not going to work 

kjd

Yes, it should be checked out. With an exhaust leak, the sensors were given false information will affect the tuning.