April 18, 2024, 03:10:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Findings on Knock removal with SEPST

Started by jty, September 15, 2019, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jty

For background, I have been tinkering a custom electronic speedo and reverse engineered the details of the Harley Delphi J1850 protocol.
When street tuning with SEPST, the speedo displays TPS/RPM table hits as color hue in real time and when knock retard occurs, mark the cell red.
So, I got retard hits when opening throttle around 1300-1400 rpm, map 80-100.
However, when looking at the VCI log in SEPST Toolbox->Date, it shows way higher RPMs, like 3000.

My speedo logs the exact J1850 data that ECM reports and VCI records. When I analyse the logs, the data packet that tells current RPM, MAP and TPS% comes exactly 16ms after the knock indicator packet, thus the MAP and RPM around 1300-1400 are very exact and the one in the SEPST log is way off.

member ToBeFrank, I wonder if you have seen this?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office

rigidthumper

Not Frank, to be sure, but I believe it's because the SEPST views transient issues, such as things occurring during DE/AE activation, as irrelevant/not useful for VE table correction. It's really useful for steady state, closed loop, repetitive data.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jty

Well, turns out that I did not identify the knock packet correctly. Sorry for the confusion.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office