April 18, 2024, 03:23:51 PM

News:

CV Carb Conversion Cable Question

Started by egstandard, May 20, 2019, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

So will the early evo cables screw into my existing 1981 throttle housing? Gonna need the proper ends for fitment into the cv carb. My parts book for the 81 shows ball ends on the carb end of cables. Obviously that won't  work. My S&S cables have no ends at carb.

Breeze

My '87 Sportster and '92 Dyna throttle cables don't screw into the grip housing. They have a tiny spring clip, and push in. 
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

76shuvlinoff

It's been many years but I recall having to get a different throttle drive sleeve when I went to a CV. Sorry it's cloudy now but I went to my Indy and he got everything from a Drag catalog.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

96flhpi

The cables you need definitely exist, I had them on my '82 when I had the CV on it.  I believe they were EVO for whatever year the CV started on production bikes until some point in early '90's when the controls went to the press fit into the housings.  Unfortunately I can't remember but it was like 87-91 or 89-93.  When I get home I'll look through my old posts - someone else here gave me the info. 

Come to think of it I think the controls changed in '82.  If you have the old style with the 2 round buttons and 1 rocker in the squared off housings I may not be of help at all.

egstandard

Yep, 2 buttons and one rocker switch. But I unscrewed the cables today,  and they look like early evo. Has the two different size threaded fittings on the ends. Should be able to measure a cable length and size something up out of JP cycles or Kirk.

96flhpi

Don't know if it helps but just looked in catalog and the cables that worked for me are '88 thru '95.  I'd think it's a pretty safe bet that the screw holes in your housing are the same as mine, just from a manufacturing standpoint, since they were keeping the screw in attachment they'd probably wanna be able to continue to use same cables already in stock after the changeover in '82 but who knows.  I saw the hole sizes online just recently IIRC they were 5/16 and 1/4 don't remember the pitch though and can't say for sure whether that was for pre or post '82 or both.

96flhpi

And yes those 88-95 cables have the two different size attachments.  Measure what you have and I'm sure you can find info online about what they were using 88-95

egstandard

Yes, they measured 1/4  and the other 5/16. Thanks for all that info. It helped a bunch.

egstandard

Ok, so I got the cables all good to go. I have the drag specialities manifold adapter and stock shovel insulating block. The cable guides on the carb are right up against the rocker oil line. Might have to double up on the blocks? Any other suggestions?

76shuvlinoff

It's foggy now but I remember bending the cable mount a little and deleting the return cable.... but my kill switch is fully functional.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

egstandard

I took out the insulating block altogether.  Now it's a nice fit with both cables inside of the rocker box oil line.