Vulcan lifters/lifter blocks and pushrod problem?

Started by Julio, May 29, 2019, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julio

I just read through this thread at shovelhead.us and am wondering if anyone here had heard or had problems with them.

https://f88773fdccdd-004278.vbulletin.net/forum/general-discussion/bad-vendors/3442322-important-announcement

I've had a set on my shovel for 3k miles with no problems, but now I'm thinking of pulling them and going back to stock.

J

JW113

Hmmm. Me too. Frankly, I did not find they worked any better than the stock tappets, but then I have one of those stock 50HP motors that was mentioned. Guess I need to round up a set of pushrod tube clips, as I had to cut off about 1/8" or so to get them in, since the Vulcan blocks are taller than stock.

Damn.
:kick:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Julio

Same here.
She's grounded until I get to inspect and return to stock, clips and gaskets have been ordered.
If I see any anomalies, I'll post a pic.
I just had a lifter grenade itself in the evo, I'm not taking a chance to go through that crap again.

J

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

guppymech

'84 FXE, '02 883R

Julio

According to chopprs, the OP,  the machining of the lifter blocks is off.
The angle of the lifter in the block is off by as much as 10° either way. They can also be off inboard/outboard which can cause the block to crack and/or break. The OP is followed by several posts, including pictures, from people who have had problems, including cracked blocks.

Buglet

I put in a couple of set years back, still going strong. No problem so far.

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Snydcat

Quote from: Julio on May 29, 2019, 05:32:04 PM
I just read through this thread at shovelhead.us and am wondering if anyone here had heard or had problems with them.

https://f88773fdccdd-004278.vbulletin.net/forum/general-discussion/bad-vendors/3442322-important-announcement

I've had a set on my shovel for 3k miles with no problems, but now I'm thinking of pulling them and going back to stock.

J

I was one of the people in that thread...I had em in about 3 yrs.. 14,000 miles. I was lucky and knew what the sound was from a lifter going bad and I was only a couple miles from home. I would definitely get them out of there and go back to stock.

Reddog74usa

I ran a set of Vulcan lifters in my 77 FXE for 10K miles with no issues however Choppers on that site is a thorough dude so I would head his statements on this subject. Sure wish you could still get the Velva's for shovel or Panhead cams. Now they only come set up for Evo cams in Shovels and Pans.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Reddog74usa on July 31, 2019, 06:45:15 PM
I ran a set of Vulcan lifters in my 77 FXE for 10K miles with no issues however Choppers on that site is a thorough dude so I would head his statements on this subject. Sure wish you could still get the Velva's for shovel or Panhead cams. Now they only come set up for Evo cams in Shovels and Pans.

Been running the Jims top end oiling kit (up through the push rods) for almost 30K miles in my S&S 93.  I don't know if that even available anymore. I will probably have to figure out a stock configuration when the time comes.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway