April 25, 2024, 09:59:55 PM

News:

CV carb insulator block

Started by billbuilds, June 08, 2019, 04:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

Do you feel that it's necessary to use an insulator block between the CV carb body and the intake manifold? Ran an SU eliminator for a while w/o one and it worked fine. Not the same animal, I know. Your thoughts please. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

JW113

I use one, but mainly to get some clearance between the air cleaner backplate and the tank. I have a nice scar in the paint on the tank from not using one.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

billbuilds

Thanks JW.  I should have mentioned that it's going on a 73 FX with the stock turtle tank so clearing it should not be an issue. I guess I was thinking more in the realm of any benefit from the thermal insulation that your carb gets using the block versus not using it and just the gasket. .  Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

JW113

How are you mounting it? Rubber flange adapter or press on/JB Weld adapter from Killer? Also, is your intake manifold the compliance bands, or O-ring type?

-JW

billbuilds

Quote from: JW113 on June 08, 2019, 01:28:03 PM
How are you mounting it? Rubber flange adapter or press on/JB Weld adapter from Killer? Also, is your intake manifold the compliance bands, or O-ring type?

-JW

I've got one of the JB weld-on adapters. The motor is a 1980 80" so it's got the rubber band style intake seals. SE backing plate has a couple of holes already drilled; will be making brackets to attach to rocker boxes undersides. 

JW113

OK, cool. (no pun intended!) I think the main point of the insulator block is to keep the carb from boiling the gas in the bowl when you shut the motor down. If the carb/intake manifold is not in direct contact with the heads, then you don't get the heat transfer to the carb. Stock Evos have the carb isolated with that rubber O-ring spiggot mount. If you're using the compliance fittings on the intake manifold, probably be OK to not head soak the carb.

-JW

76shuvlinoff

Using the J&B CV adapter here too. I  do not have a block to speak of like the 3/8 I had with the S&S E, but I do have a thin homemade gasket in there so I guess there's some insulation going on.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

I think the insulation block is more for when you park the bike, than running.....

That would slow down heat transfer on a hot soak.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dirtymike

Isolation or insulation, Which one. 

Burnout

I think we are talking about the 3/8" insulator that is often found with an S&S carb
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Yep, for parked after riding so it is easier to start again (prevent flooding).

-JW

76shuvlinoff

Kinda OT but insulating the fuel line, and/or being very specific with routing, matters on my 76.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway