April 24, 2024, 10:13:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New again shovel

Started by 76shuvlinoff, July 09, 2019, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

I installed my 3rd new speedometer in the 25 years I've had the 76.   (This one was because I recently broke the sh*t out of the last one)

So once again I have a new bike. It's just that easy.  :teeth:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

thumpr54

The speedo on my 1980 Shovel hasn't worked for........decades.....unless I wind er up hard.... then she just kinda free-floats....        'I don't need no stinking speedo'....  :smiled:
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

a_disalvo

Maybe you need a speedo that goes up to 140 MPH!!!!!!

One4Tone

...don't forget to break it in...go easy for the first 500 miles... :baby:

Burnout

Quote from: One4Tone on July 10, 2019, 11:07:14 AM

Only necessary if you have tight piston/ring clearances.
Which is akin to tap dancing on a razors edge on an air/oil cooled motor.
The only reason for this is to get you past the 90 parts warranty.....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

Quote from: thumpr54 on July 09, 2019, 08:39:10 PM
The speedo on my 1980 Shovel hasn't worked for........decades.....unless I wind er up hard.... then she just kinda free-floats....        'I don't need no stinking speedo'....  :smiled:
no problem with the COPS?

david lee

Quote from: One4Tone on July 10, 2019, 11:07:14 AM
never thought of that you dont want to be stranded out the middle of nowhere with a busted speedo

76shuvlinoff

We are still talking about speedometers and not men's bathing suits .... right?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

thumpr54

I always try to blend in and ride the same speed as surrounding traffic.....only time I ever remember being pulled over was... I used to have a center stand on it...at Sturgis one year...on the road between town and BC....my center stand was hanging down......cop was very nice...checked me out...said he could give me a warning/repair order type ticket where most others he might pull over for something else he'd have to get a 'regular' ticket(spelled $$$).....sounded good to me.....
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Burnout

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on July 10, 2019, 06:16:41 PM

You shower in a suit???!!!    :scratch:

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Burnout on July 10, 2019, 08:43:41 PM

tuxedo
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on July 11, 2019, 12:52:17 PM
Quote from: Burnout on July 10, 2019, 08:43:41 PM

tuxedo

Tryin to impress the neighbors?

PoorUB

When I  want ti impress the neighbors I  run around  naked!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

david lee

Quote from: PoorUB on July 12, 2019, 11:35:37 AM
When I  want ti impress the neighbors I  run around  naked!
thated work

JW113

Speaking of speedometers....

Mark I think you mentioned that you have a speedo drive on the rear wheel, used a kit for a Softail, and had to snake the cable under the bike due to the length, right?

I had the same set up. Finally got sick of having to work around the speedo cable in order to get a lift table on the frame rails. So I carefully made up a dummy speedo cable jacket such that it would route on the left side, between frame and motor, and up to the speedo in a nice clean line. Then called Barnett and they made one up for me.

So, just in case you get the itch:

67" cable for FLH with rear speedo drive.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: JW113 on July 24, 2019, 06:23:47 PM
Speaking of speedometers....

Mark I think you mentioned that you have a speedo drive on the rear wheel, used a kit for a Softail, and had to snake the cable under the bike due to the length, right?

I had the same set up. Finally got sick of having to work around the speedo cable in order to get a lift table on the frame rails. So I carefully made up a dummy speedo cable jacket such that it would route on the left side, between frame and motor, and up to the speedo in a nice clean line. Then called Barnett and they made one up for me.

So, just in case you get the itch:

67" cable for FLH with rear speedo drive.

-JW

I might do that.  Mine runs up the left side behind the frame then crosses to the right downtube above the regulator.  I think that cable is 70-71". It would be cleaner if not crossing over.   Another issue I had with that rear drive is it wanted to cock and slip into the axle slot in the swingarm. I actually busted a brand new drive unit when torqing the axle nut.  I slipped a large washer in between the swingarm and the drive that is just big enough for the axle to slip through.

Thanks JW
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Me too! I noticed when putting the drive in that there was almost no surface area againt the frame slot, and used a washer as well. Anyway, 67" cable makes for a slick installtion. FYI.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber