March 28, 2024, 06:06:20 AM

News:

Could this be the cause of sumping?

Started by r0de_runr, January 31, 2019, 01:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0de_runr

I read several boards an on a CVO board someone posted some video of a casting flaw between the two rear lifter bores that pumps oil.  I'll post a ling to the post and a nother link to the youtube video.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=117797.0;topicseen

https://youtu.be/tlxropf66SQ

Interesting.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

98fxstc

joe_lyons

So if enough oil get into the cam compartment it could drain over into the flywheel cavity causing sumping?  That is a good catch for sure on the problem with the casting but I don't know if it would cause sumping.  Good thing the Radio only displays pretty much a 5psi dummy light.  That is a lot of oil that not going to the lifters or the oilers,  probably drops overall pressure.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

DTTJGlide

It's a good find, but not sure how the addition of the plate & seal would correct that & you would think the added capacity of the dual scavenge S&S would do a better job & it doesn't.

rbabos

I bet someone at HD is sweating bullets now after seeing that. That can definitely overpower the scavenge side. Normally the feed side has all metered predictable leak rates to all components as in clearances or metered holes . This is a straight out heavy duty leak.
Ron

lickidysplit

That is not good! I don't know that it would cause sumping. but it would cause an overall pressure drop. That thing is bleeding internally. I sure hope this is just a one off deal ! Harley needs to get their "Potty mouth" together!

RoadGlideRob

would be really cool if some of the builders on here who have test mules that are not sumping could verify those bottom ends don't have this flaw and someone who has a sumping motor could verify theirs does.  would help put a lot of minds at ease for those of us who bought an M8. I could easily check mine once we had a little more evidence from those two groups

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

r0de_runr

Quote from: IronButt70 on February 01, 2019, 10:21:22 AM
What happened to the youtube video?
Wow, yes it's gone....there are still images in the ref posting on cvo
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

rbabos

DTTJGlide

Sorry to say, but technically what the poster is doing is illegal, it's the same thing MOCO got busted for. He may have had second thoughts about opening up that can of worms :idunno:

Geezer_Glider

That leak might not overwhelm the scavenge pump but sure could screw with breathing through the push-rod tubes for that cylinder and pressure balance in the engine. Maybe even flood the head up the tube?
Just saying,
R Meyer

Hilly13

40oz out of the sump, sure sounds like the scavenging was overwhelmed, it could well be a one off or just a really bad example of "the problem", time will tell.
Just because its said don't make it so

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Txwezl

Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 01, 2019, 11:23:16 AM
Sorry to say, but technically what the poster is doing is illegal, it's the same thing MOCO got busted for. He may have had second thoughts about opening up that can of worms :idunno:

Why is it illegal? Changing the oil pump has no effect on exhaust emissions.

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

turboprop

The video is still up on the CVO page.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

doubletrouble

This is exactly why we would x-ray all of our small g.m. blocks before we would sink a small fortune in them back in the early 90's when we were building flat crank 180 motors , primarly looking for core shift but occasionally we would encounter sand pockets , if that block had made in mexico on it , there was a very good chance we would just throw it out in the pile. Yup , they were that bad. Not sure if thats what we seen in this video.

BVHOG

WTF?  That's a lot of oil in a running engine when it pumps out like that with a small turn.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rockout Rocker Products

Maybe the OP had second thoughts about posting evidence of his breaking warranty coverage?  :nix:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: PoorUB on February 01, 2019, 06:24:00 PM
The YouTube video shows up for me.
That's odd. I checked this morning and it was definitely gone, now it's back  :scratch:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

IronButt70

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 01, 2019, 06:27:15 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on February 01, 2019, 06:24:00 PM
The YouTube video shows up for me.
That's odd. I checked this morning and it was definitely gone, now it's back  :scratch:
Same here. Said video not available this morning. :nix:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Hilly13

Quote from: BVHOG on February 01, 2019, 05:14:50 PM
WTF?  That's a lot of oil in a running engine when it pumps out like that with a small turn.
You had any sumpers through the shop Bob? That's got to worth a look if one pops up aye?
Just because its said don't make it so

Txwezl

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 01, 2019, 06:25:04 PM
Maybe the OP had second thoughts about posting evidence of his breaking warranty coverage?  :nix:

I see no VIN on the video. The OP was a shop. No way to prove the bike was "tampered with" if you put stock parts back on and it hasn't been tuned with a non compliant tuner.