April 23, 2024, 01:56:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EVO cam choice help!

Started by kalmi, October 11, 2018, 01:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalmi

October 11, 2018, 01:14:00 PM Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:31:09 PM by kalmi
Hi everybody!

I'm new in the forum. I have an FLTC EVO 1992. Last winter I installed 10:1 wiseco domed pistons (80CI), Andrews EV27 cam, Mikuni HSR42 complete set (carb, air filter and intake manifold), Crane Hi-4 single fire ignition, and a DIY 2in1 exhaust. The stock heads with hand ported, and shorter valve guide, but the valves and springs are stock. The bike is go very well. Low end torque is fantastic. I really love that!
I am thinking next stage of modification. I would like to stay the 80 CI, but i need more power! (never enough) :)
I am thinking another cam, and a valve springs change to high lift cam. I am checking 3 cam: Andrews EV59, S&S 561 and S&S 585. What do you think, what is the best choice for this motor. I don't want to lose low end torque, but i want more power on mid and high rpms.
I would like to find the right cam for my engine, but I don't want to "overcam".

Thank you for the answers guys!

Deye76

October 11, 2018, 04:15:22 PM #1 Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:24:55 PM by Deye76
Dave Mackie .530 (best choice is always debatable)
https://www.davemackie.com/cams.html
scroll down to DME Evolutions cams.
Give Dave a call, he's very helpful.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Mark222

I have about the same setup on my '85 Evo SuperGlide

Wiseco 10:1
Mikuni HSR42 complete
Programable single fire iggy
and a bit more head work than you described (larger valves, hi lift springs, full porting)

Before I completed the head work I also ran the EV27, after head work i went to a crane H290-2 .581 lift cam. 

Changed the final drive ratio (chain rear 4 speed model) until I had the power on hand where I wanted it for the riding style I wanted.

The cam itself is also capable of adjustment +4* / -4* to further shift power band if desired.

Pulls like a freight train when you get into the sweet spot of the RPM band.

YMMV

Mark

kalmi

Mark!

Thanks! But I think the superglide is a lightweight bike. Need another method of cam. The FLTC is a heavy bike. I want to wide power band, and keep the torque monster at low RPM. :D

kalmi

Quote from: Deye76 on October 11, 2018, 04:15:22 PM
Dave Mackie .530 (best choice is always debatable)
scroll down to DME Evolutions cams.
Give Dave a call, he's very helpful.

THX. I live in europe but Andrews and S&S cams are easy available for me at very good price.

speed limit

EV 27 is about as good as it gets for a 80" motor try a 30 tooth front sprocket
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

dsvracer

it is time to think about getting a real port job for more power.  fact:  it is the heads that make the power and it is the cam that dictates where in the power band the power will be. you can change cams, pistons and other parts but you will get your greatest increase in power from the heads.  dsv

JamesButler

October 12, 2018, 07:23:09 AM #7 Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:35:32 AM by JamesButler
I haven't looked up the specs of the cams you are considering, but "generally" with 10.0: 1 c.r., you'd be looking for a cam with an intake closing angle of @ 45ยบ to "correct" the 10.0:1 c.r. down to @ 9.0: 1. 

Not sure about the specs of your other cam choices, but re Andrews it would seem that the EV-57, with an intake closing angle of 46, would be a good choice.  You could always contact Andrews with any questions.  My experience with them is that they have always been very helpful.

turboprop

Quote from: kalmi on October 11, 2018, 01:14:00 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm new in the forum. I have an FLTC EVO 1992. Last winter I installed 10:1 wiseco domed pistons (80CI), Andrews EV27 cam, Mikuni HSR42 complete set (carb, air filter and intake manifold), Crane Hi-4 single fire ignition, and a DIY 2in1 exhaust. The stock heads with hand ported, and shorter valve guide, but the valves and springs are stock. The bike is go very well. Low end torque is fantastic. I really love that!
I am thinking next stage of modification. I would like to stay the 80 CI, but i need more power! (never enough) :)
I am thinking another cam, and a valve springs change to high lift cam. I am checking 3 cam: Andrews EV59, S&S 561 and S&S 585. What do you think, what is the best choice for this motor. I don't want to lose low end torque, but i want more power on mid and high rpms.
I would like to find the right cam for my engine, but I don't want to "overcam".

80" 100hp recipe and dyno sheet here:
http://www.woodcarbs.com/images/evo80w6h-5.jpg

Look in the Evo section here for more: 
http://www.woodcarbs.com/dynoruns.htm
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

The dyno sheet from Doc's should be taken with a grain of salt. He has a habit of showing in STD or uncorrected.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

thumper 823

We all recommend what we have worked with.
A cam is part of the answer .
As stated the DM is a great cam !
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

apes

Hi everybody!

What do you recon the HP and Torque to be on this bike?

hbkeith

my 80" stock pistons , stock ignition , Cv carb , with a GOOD port job with bigger valves ,EV27, and good 2into1 runs pretty damn good , and that's its a RoadKing,how good are your Heads and DIY 2into1?

thumper 823

You can use OS valves (same seats )
And seat the valve way to the top of the margin narrow 3/32 or less .(seat)
Make sure there is nothing proud in the seat area where it is pressed in,  as there often is a margin.
Get rid of it.
There is a 1000 little tricks to up the performance.

Hossamania

Quote from: thumper 823 on October 31, 2018, 03:17:04 PM
There is a 1000 little tricks to up the performance.

Truer words were never spoken.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Evojoe

November 01, 2018, 10:48:29 AM #15 Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:53:17 AM by Evojoe
Lot to be said about over caming it.  Thinner base gaskets, thinner head gaskets, heads flowed with a Woods 6.
  The S&S 585 is in the S&S 111 engine and I dont think that would work in your 80"

thumper 823

Don't forget the squish...0.030  anything more you wasting a lot of power

Snowyone

My recipe for more power for the evo is a 4 5/8" stoke crank and head work.  I used Axtell ductile iron cylinders, Hemi Design heads, a Woods cam(don't remember which one), and one of his CV carb mods.  Spanked everyone in my area on our Thompson Pass dyno(tall mountain pass) and it's still a runner with it's new 450lb rider.  If I ever have another evo it will get the same recipe. 

turboprop

Hi everybody!

Seeing as you are limited to Andrews and S&S cams in addition to the EV59 you have listed, have you looked at the EV46 and EV51 grinds? Both of these will really turn on with 10.0 - 10.5 in an 80" engine. I like the S&S 561 cam at 80" and 10.0 it will run very well. I think S&S has a couple of newer grinds that may be better suited for your application.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

thumper 823

I am with you up to the stroke part as i dont want to go that route .
I would be Over Sq if posable.
I have 11.to one CR
double plug .
Recut chambers, sngle tops , valve and head work.
It does haul arse.
This round I am shooting for 1.35 per cube.
wish me luck!

RTMike

Wood W6H cam and head work should give you 90 hp with the parts you have and a good tune up

dave brode

I worked on a friend's 80" Evo. Hand ported, stock valves, dome KB pistons for 10-1, Comp [v-thunder] EVL-3030. 240/240, .530", 104/104. SE slip ons with stock head pipes.

It ran very well, nice flat torque, pulled to 6000.   http://nightrider.com/biketech/download/HDMasterCamSpecs.pdf

Dave

jsachs1

Quote from: dave brode on December 23, 2018, 01:41:50 PM
I worked on a friend's 80" Evo. Hand ported, stock valves, dome KB pistons for 10-1, Comp [v-thunder] EVL-3030. 240/240, .530", 104/104. SE slip ons with stock head pipes.

It ran very well, nice flat torque, pulled to 6000.   http://nightrider.com/biketech/download/HDMasterCamSpecs.pdf

Dave
That combo made 104 hp, and 104 torque ?

wfolarry

Hillside Motorcycle

Wood 8 at 10.75 cr, with good heads, and surrounded by a good carb/ignition/exhaust will show 95/95 most times, and more.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

dave brode

Quote from: jsachs1 on December 23, 2018, 02:37:16 PM
Quote from: dave brode on December 23, 2018, 01:41:50 PM

Dave
That combo made 104 hp, and 104 torque ?

Mr. Sachs,
Larry is correct, 104/104 centers. It's been many years, but iirc, it did make 80/94 in 5th [with a 21/36 primary and stock '98 softail belt cogs] on a DJ250 while running way lean. A number of locals had bikes on said travelling dyno that day, and it seemed realistic. 
Dave