March 28, 2024, 02:19:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1985 Wide glide tranny

Started by dubepj, November 12, 2018, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

1985 FXWG with evo engine, 4 speed, Belt drive.

Just got this bike and of course has a major leak on the tranny main seal.
When i drained the Primary I was surprised that there was way too much oil in there. (about 3 liters).  The tranny was just about empty.  I filled the tranny and took off the outer Primary cover and the clutch assembly.  Found that oil was coming out of the main shaft where the Clutch push rod is. 
Is this Normal??? I may have overfilled tranny.  Mine has a small plug on the side to show full level.  I filled to bottom of fill plug threads. Or do I have other tranny issues allowing oil to go there.
Please help.  Yes I have the shop manual. So far I have the tranny on the bench and cleaned.  Must have leaked a long time was very dirty.  Thanks everyone.

Wicked

Correct to fill to the bottom of the threads with the bike upright. Should be a seal inside the clutch hub nut to seal against the pushrod. Early long nusts had room for 2 seals....   Maybe yours doesnt have room for any if it has stock short nut. Then it relies on the fit of the pushrod to the mainshaft internal bushings. But of course - a good chance the mainshaft seal and the little MDG seals are leaking as well....

dubepj

My bike has the wet clutch. Oil in Primary.  My clutch hub nut has no seals in it at all.  So not sure what keeps oil form tranny form going down the main shaft where the push rod is located.   

Burnout

Very little trans oil will migrate through the mainshaft because the shaft is below the oil level.

On a primary connected to the motor oiling system it might suck oil through due to a slightly negative pressure, however again the shaft is below the oil level.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Julio

There's a reason why Harley put that overflow screw on the kicker cover.
The older electric start cover was filled to the bottom of the fill cap thread. Kicker covers are filled to the level screw.
You can see what the difference in fluid would be if you filled the kicker to the bottom of the fill cap.

dubepj

Thanks Julio:
Your answer is right on correct.  Took my tranny to a shop I trust and he said exactly what you said.  "Did you overfill this tranny."  Your pictures tell a good story.
i got it on the bench now filled to proper level and will let it sit a couple days to confirm this.