March 28, 2024, 06:11:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

REgulator fried stater?

Started by Evojoe, December 03, 2018, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evojoe

Changed out my voltage regulator on my 97 wg. Now the regulator and stater is fried. Is it possible for a new reg to short out the stater?

Hossamania

Did you test the stator before installing the regulator?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Evojoe

No but I was having no problems with my electrical system till I changed the reg.  Only reason I changed the reg was it was old.

Hossamania

At this point it's hard to say which failed first, and took the other piece out. Once you get the stator out it might be obvious. All you can do is replace both pieces, and the rotor, and ride happily knowing that your system is up to date. Cycle Electric is a good manufacturer. California Phil can set you up.
Just out of curiosity, what brand of regulator did you use?

Evojoe

New Reg was Cycle electric. Old one was stock HD.

Evojoe

Thanks Hoss I respect your input. After talking to some of the best HD mechanics around,  I have no doubt what so ever the new Cycle Electric regulator smoked my elec system.  My stock system lasted 23 yrs without a problem till the new Cycle Electric regulator was installed. My friend still has his original stater in his 92 HD.
  I will be going back to the stock Hd Reg, Stater, Rotor.

Hossamania

I'm curious why you replaced your regulator in the first place if it wasn't failing?
Sorry to hear the new one wrecked your system, that's frustrating.

Flhfxd

You might want to give CE a call. They're a stand up outfit who will most likely help you to resolve your electrical issue.
Many of us here have CE components installed with great success.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Burnout

I seriously doubt that the CE regulator caused anything to fail.

This is simply a case of "Dont fix it if it aint broke"
combined with
Shotgun parts replacement.
The end result has left you with a bad taste.

A Harley has a very simple charging system and no special tools are required to test it.
A $10 meter and a test light and a manual are all that is needed.

I will add that there are those folks who should not attempt electrical repairs, it is possible that you fall into that category.
Blaming CE (a company who produces excellent products) for your trouble is not a check in the win box.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Coyote

Evojoe

Quote from: Burnout on December 05, 2018, 08:51:51 AM
I seriously doubt that the CE regulator caused anything to fail.

This is simply a case of "Dont fix it if it aint broke"
combined with
Shotgun parts replacement.
The end result has left you with a bad taste.

A Harley has a very simple charging system and no special tools are required to test it.
A $10 meter and a test light and a manual are all that is needed.

I will add that there are those folks who should not attempt electrical repairs, it is possible that you fall into that category.
Blaming CE (a company who produces excellent products) for your trouble is not a check in the win box.

Your doing a lot of assuming since you don't me from Adam.
  You say "shot gun parts" when it was a Cycle Elec regulator installed by a 40 yr mechanic/electrician.
You might use a $10 meter but a real mechanic don't, and you may fall into that category. It was actually a $120 digital meter.
  You are right, there are folks that should not attempt to play Electrician but thanks any way for what its worth.

Evojoe

Quote from: Flhfxd on December 04, 2018, 05:32:52 PM
You might want to give CE a call. They're a stand up outfit who will most likely help you to resolve your electrical issue.

I replaced the Reg because it was a 22 year old original equipment . I have had too many friends regulator go out because they were old and left them stranded many miles from home.

Evojoe

December 05, 2018, 10:32:44 AM #12 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:38:50 AM by Evojoe
Quote from: Flhfxd on December 04, 2018, 05:32:52 PM

Yes I did talk to CE a couple times and they are great people and I am not trash talking them but only stating the facts of what happened. They offered to replace it but so did the company I bought it from. Just easier to return it to the vendor with free shipping.

Also, I talked to some of best shop mechanics I know and they said "YES" regulators can smoke staters and other electrical equipment.

david lee

can you post the result. its good to know the facts.thanks

Evojoe

Quote from: david lee on December 05, 2018, 12:02:35 PM
can you post the result. its good to know the facts.thanks

Well the fact right now the regulator and stater are fried.  I have ordered the new kit and may be about a week before I can wrench it in.

jls 64

Are you goint to update wiht the 3 phase .systen.?.ce or hd one.
js

Evojoe

Since the last stock single phase lasted 22 years that's what is going back in it.

capn

Ive got the CE three phase but I will say those genuine HD ones do last a very long time.

Wicked

"Fried". Ok, but I'd like to know more....  Reguarding the stator - is it an open short? Short to ground? If so - where? dc volts and/or ohms out of range?
Yes - I have seen cases where a new or improperly mounted regulator will help in the ruining of a stator. An older stator could hasten its demise....

david lee