April 19, 2024, 08:12:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1985 Wide Glide (FXWG)

Started by dubepj, December 31, 2018, 10:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Trying to get my old bike back to as close as possible to original looks.
When I acquired this bike it has the newer style oval Harley mirrors. Just bought a used set of Harley rectangular mirrors. Now I'm wondering if these are correct since they don't have the set screw on the back to move mirrors back and forth on the mirror stem.
What was correct in 1985 for a FXWG. I know some of you bought these bikes new so please let me know what they came with bran new. Thanks

Pete_Vit

all my factory mirrors had the Moco name I think on the back or somewhere.
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

hbkeith

find the oem part # on Ronnies , then do internet search of that part number

guppymech

Parts finder at St. Charles Mo. Harley shows the rectangular kind with pinch screw:
right, 91875-82
left, 91892-82
While not a '85 my '84 Super Glide has the same handlebars as your Wide Glide and has the rectangular pinch screw kind, they're original to the bike.  My factory brochures for the '84 models show the same mirrors.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

dubepj

Thanks a lot to everyone
guppymechm, you gave the best answer.  The ones i just picked up are correct.  Most people want to customize bikes.  I think this old one is best if kept original as much as possible

Hossamania

The most rare of all Harley Davidsons is a stock one.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

guppymech

December 31, 2018, 06:12:04 PM #6 Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:43:45 PM by guppymech
Quote from: dubepj on December 31, 2018, 05:02:37 PM
Thanks a lot to everyone
guppymechm, you gave the best answer.  The ones i just picked up are correct.  Most people want to customize bikes.  I think this old one is best if kept original as much as possible
You know I agree about originality but I have to draw the line with the stock mufflers and for the Shovelhead that huge aircleaner used on the later ones. 
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Hossamania

Quote from: guppymech on December 31, 2018, 06:12:04 PM
Quote from: dubepj on December 31, 2018, 05:02:37 PM
Thanks a lot to everyone
You know I agree about originality but I have to draw the line with the stock mufflers and for the Shovelhead that huge aircleaner used on the later ones.

The reason stock Harleys are so rare.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.