Starting / cranking issues.

Started by FRANKIE THE FINGER, December 31, 2018, 06:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jls 64

I would like to now if you solved the problem.i've been followind this thread
js

Heatseeker

Update:

I finally found the time to work on my FXR last week. My issue has been mostly resolved by 1) changing to larger battery cables(from 6ga. to 4ga) and 2) changing the way the cables get to the starter and solenoid. My bike has a separate relay under the side cover that the positive cable ran through prior to continuing to the separate from the starter solenoid. That relay gets the start signal from the starter switch on the bars. Instead of running the cable through it, I ran the cable straight to the solenoid. I ran a 10ga. wire from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the start terminal on the solenoid.

I still get a starter buck on the first compression stroke, but after that, she cranks freely. I was able to take the bike for a ride Saturday for the first time in months. I forgot how fun it was to ride!

Thanks for all the input on this thread. It inspired me to get after this problem and finally(mostly) resolve it.
If it ain't broke, keep fixin' it 'til it is...

jls 64

js

John/1

You might want to check the ground strap. Clean all connections in a larger ground strap as well. Not all started are created equal, some are really strong but draw a lot.
John

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on January 02, 2019, 11:44:49 AM
You could try installing a direct button on the end of the starter, that would eliminate the wiring through the button and relay. It might give you a better idea if that is the problem, or if the starter itself is dragging.
i agree. it would eliminate a few theories

Burnout

Quote from: Heatseeker on January 21, 2019, 08:32:55 AM
Update:

My issue has been mostly resolved

I still get a starter buck on the first compression stroke, but after that, she cranks freely.
I was able to take the bike for a ride Saturday for the first time in months. I forgot how fun it was to ride!

Seems like all the old style starters do this, my 87, and the two shovelheads, I have right now all do the same.
I think it is because when they shut off they most of the time they bump back from the next compression stroke as it stops.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

rageglide

Quote from: david lee on February 14, 2019, 12:25:25 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 02, 2019, 11:44:49 AM
You could try installing a direct button on the end of the starter, that would eliminate the wiring through the button and relay. It might give you a better idea if that is the problem, or if the starter itself is dragging.
i agree. it would eliminate a few theories

'88 was last year of the external bendix starters.  No button.   I/we used a 1/2 or 9/16ths box end wrench to bridge the pull solenoid and +12 pole on the bendix.  These old starters have much less mechanical advantage than the Mitsubishi type.  Engines had less cranking compression too... Nice spark show though

Heatnbeat

I most always get a kick back on the old girl when she's warm. i've taken to just bumping the starter and if it starts fine, if it kicks back, that's fine too because the next hit she'll fire right off.

All of my other starting issues were solved by adding a relay that ran voltage from the battery straight to the solenoid.
my local indy( RIP Mike!) had a recurring problem with one and the added relay cured the problem with that one too.