March 29, 2024, 01:43:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1985 Wide Glide Tranny Leak

Started by dubepj, January 10, 2019, 09:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Just finished fixing oil leak on 4 speed on my old 1985 wide glide.  I'll explain what I did and ask if you folks think I missed something..
After I brought bike home in Winter I noticed oil leak.  Took off Inner and outer primary and found tranny and seal on inner primary had been leaking a long time.  The front pulley and rear pulley were badly worn since the oil on the belt had collected bits of gravel and chewed up the pulleys badly. I replaced front and rear pulleys.  Belt had bean replaced by PO and looks good.
Replaced the seals on inner primary and took tranny to a shop that I trust and he said main seal was not leaking.  Put it all back together, filled tranny Formula + and ATF in Primary case.  Next day a puddle of oil on the floor.  It was tranny oil since is it was clear, not red.
Took it all apart again and took tranny to a different shop and he said leak was from the small MAIN DRIVE GEAR Seal # 12013A.  This shop installed new seal.  I installed a new seal again in the inner primary and put it all back together again and filled with oil.
Now about 2 weeks later no oil on the floor but have not driven the bike yet ( WINTER in Canada) but started bike and run it in garage for 5 minutes or so.
Do you folks think my issues are resolved.
Sorry about the long note.  Thanks.

Hybredhog

Did the main seal spacer get replaced? That's usually the cause for the drive gear to wobble if it's just thrown together without replacing with a new spacer, I'd believe its a 35070-82A
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

dubepj

the tech who did the work told me the seal Bushing was good.  He tried to wiggle the shaft and said there was no movement.  Hope he know what he was talking about.  Very busy shop and guy is about 60 years old and i believe knows his stuff.

TexNorth

January 10, 2019, 01:13:14 PM #3 Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:46:08 PM by TexNorth
Maybe I didn't understand all the terms, but is that the tiny seal that is where the input shaft goes into the end of the output shaft?   I had a similar experience with my bike, leaked just sitting in my garage.  Riding you couldn't see anything, only when it was leaning that way on the kickstand.   Sounds like you might be good.

hdbikedoc

usually find the main drive gear bushing wear (running belts too tight 4 speed belts were very loose compared to 5 speeds ) the best fix was bore the gear out and fit latter style needle bearings would solve the problem also cut a grove in spacer and fit a quad seal helps lots
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

Ohio HD

+1 on the main drive gear bushing wearing. And once they start getting really worn, they can split.

[attach=0,msg1287528]