April 23, 2024, 05:57:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1985 Wide glide rear axel

Started by dubepj, January 24, 2019, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Slowly going through everything on this 1985 FXWG I recently acquired and found that on the rear axle there was only a flat washer and a fine thread nut.  looked at Ronnie's on line parts book and they show a lock-washer as well.  The newer bikes have a castellated nut and a cotter-pin.  Should I go with the lock washer or should I go for a Nylon Lock nut.  I guess I could drill the axel and get a castellated nut and cotter pin.  I appreciate you input.  Thanks.

guppymech

January 24, 2019, 05:53:56 PM #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:00:28 PM by guppymech
I'm going to give my opinion base on the info I have for my '84 Super Glide, it's frame and running gear is pretty similar to your EVO Wide Glide.  My bikes rear axle sounds like yours with fine threads, flat washer, lock washer(H-D 7022) and plain nut.  If your bike has a chain I think this setup is better than a cotter pin as the chain needs frequent adjustment.  The rear axle takes a torque of 60 ftlbs and mine has never loosened up.   
A nylon lock nut will work but over time the nylon will wear out and it's self locking ability will diminish.  A all metal lock nut has pretty aggressive self locking and will eventually  wear out the threads on your axle. My 02 883R has a belt and axle with a cotter pin as it hardly ever needs adjustment.

Tom
'84 FXE, '02 883R

guido4198

1985 FXRS (I bought new) with the same rear axle set-up you describe. In 34 yrs and 289,000 mi. It has never been a problem. Doesn't need to be re-thought. I've replaced the  washers whenever they looked like it would be a good idea but still running the original axle and nut.

JW113

Me too, never had one back off, but I also use a torque wrench. On the newer bike, which has a cotter pin, I kind of doubt I'd 'not' continue to use it just because the old ones don't. I think it's like a seat belt. 99.9% of the time, does nothing of valuve. But that last 0.1%.....
:crash:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Mark222

My 1985 FXEF (Chain Final Drive) I have a "King Nut" with a cotter pin, no lock washer, just flat washers.

147K and no issues.

Mark