March 28, 2024, 09:32:26 AM

News:

Rough Idle /starting knock SESTP

Started by Timm Grimm, September 18, 2019, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timm Grimm

September 18, 2019, 10:38:32 AM Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:05:30 AM by Timm Grimm
Greetings. Looking for where to start addressing a hard start/idle fix.

Full backstory. Bought a 2014 FXDB (Stage I already complete.) used that came with an SESTP (The good one) in 2015. Figured it was dyno'd so I didn't touch the tuner for multiple years. Finally decided to try tuning this season, using mainly the Auto-tune feature. (Mistake #1) Dove in head first with only a basic understanding of the process.

(Mistake #2) I didn't save off the mapped tune and wrote over it with the base Stage I for my bike. 
Bike rode like "Potty mouth" and the Base tune had the timing too advanced and was causing pre-ignition during moderate acceleration. Did a few weeks of auto-tuning and elementary attempts at adjusting the timing, but never got rid of the pre-ignition. Purchased MyTune software later in this process.

Decided I was in over my head and found a Dyno/tuner. I fully discussed the pre-ignition I was experiencing prior to the tune. Tuner did his thing. After he was done, said everything went perfectly and that he didn't hear any issues with the bike. Drove the bike home, still popping with same horrific irregularity.

(Start to wonder if he did any timing adjustments.)
Call him up a week later and he sends me a new map with the timing retarded in the RPM range I'm getting pre-ignition. 2500-3500@RPM -2deg from base map: still igniting but better. I retard -2deg more (-4deg total): pre-ignition is gone.

Now I'm thinking about my Idle. My idle has been rough since my first flash. Some cold starts there's clank noise at start-up and it's rough even when it settles to temp. This was not the case before I flashed the bike. My thinking is that my timing is too advanced, but I'm not sure where I should start retarding it for just the idle. I'm also not sure if my overall timing should have been retarded from the start

How do I start smoothing my idle?

Also, I'm not sure if my timing is good overall. After retarding my timing in just the range for pre-ignition, there's a point in the RPM range that I hear my engine fire at a higher pitch (doesn't sound like a knock, but the engine sounds more metallic.) Is that the sound related to my timing. Happens at about 2500@RPM.

Ultimately I don't want to undo the dyno tuning I just paid for. Bike has steady power throughout. Just feeling a little rough around the edges. 

I'm not against bringing it back in, but I do have 2 reservations.
1. He's over an hour ride from my house, so I can only do that on weekends.
2. If he didn't adjust timing from the start, I'm concerned that I might be just spinning wheels going back if this is over his head. Hoping this can be fixed through basic modification. Maybe do a confirmation run on the dyno after.

Hossamania

September 18, 2019, 10:55:10 AM #1 Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:59:51 AM by Hossamania
I know you don't want to hear this, but I would consider going to a different tuner with a good reputation.
At the very least, your tuner should be willing to put it back on the Dyno and take a look at what's going on and then fix the problems, on his dime. You paid for a good tune, he should deliver one.
It's also my understanding that the SEPST can have some limitations regarding EPA in certain conditions, but I can't speak to specifics on that, something to do with the file date.
Hopefully others will join in here and help get you sorted.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Timm Grimm

He's willing to do that. I haven't brought up my idle issues, but he offered for the pre-ignition timing.

I'm more thinking that timing should have been looked at originally. Since it wasn't, I'm worried this will be a can of worms. Maybe unfounded fear.

SEPST may be the wrong acronym. It's the Super Tuner Pro. SESTP

Ohio HD

I'd post your tune in the forum, and maybe one of our knowledgeable SEPST guru's can assist with some advice.

Timm Grimm

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 18, 2019, 11:01:42 AM
I'd post your tune in the forum, and maybe one of our knowledgeable SEPST guru's can assist with some advice.

I will do. What's the basic's for posting the tune? VE Tables & Spark Advance?