March 28, 2024, 03:50:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tour Pack and Saddle Bags

Started by Nooter99, June 12, 2019, 05:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nooter99

I've had my first touring bike for a couple of weeks now (2010 Ultra), so far, so good. But I'm not overly impressed with the locks on the tour pack and saddle bags. Seems like a good yank on either one would give a thief full access to whatever is inside.

Are there any aftermarket lock assembly options out there that would give me some peace of mind? Something substantially stronger and well made. I'm not storing solid gold bars in there, but I'm not real comfortable knowing that I probably shouldn't have anything in there worth more than $20. Hell, my leather cost $400, it's not unreasonable to think a tour pack or saddle bags could be used for safely storing that while I'm in a restaurant or walking around the swap meet.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!

chaos901

Actually, what is more likely to be stolen is the entire saddlebag.  A long flat blade screwdriver can pop it off quickly.  The market for stealing them seems to be for turning them into great big speakers. 

I have changed the way that mine attach to the bike but as far as being opened and the contents stolen, I've never had that happen.  Possibly they were opened and the thief just did not want the contents; but they stay full all the time.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

PoorUB

Nooter, seriously, don't worry about it. Not saying it won't happen,  but it is rare. I ride all over the country and I was concerned about it at first but not anymore. Many times I leave the bags and trunk unlocked!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

koko3052

I'm pretty much with PoorUB. Don't keep anything valuable & when the thief opens it , at least you won't have to repair the bags & locks. :wink:

Boe Cole

Quote from: koko3052 on June 12, 2019, 08:33:27 AM
I'm pretty much with PoorUB. Don't keep anything valuable & when the thief opens it , at least you won't have to repair the bags & locks. :wink:

:agree:
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Nooter99

Yeah, I'm gonna go with that. As usual, I'm over thinking it.

bobrk1

Are you  making  sure  that  the  back side  is under  the  clip  to  lock it? If so  shouldn't  be  able  to  open 

Hossamania

Quote from: bobrk1 on June 14, 2019, 03:38:33 AM
Are you  making  sure  that  the  back side  is under  the  clip  to  lock it? If so  shouldn't  be  able  to  open

Mine is the older style, I pryed it open with a butter knife when I forgot my key one time. Not sure if the new ones can be easily pryed open.
I agree with the don't worry too much about it advice. I've not had a problem, but I take the valuebles out overnight when traveling.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Jim Bronson

Mine is detachable on the docking mount. Even though I use a locking clamp, I worry about someone stealing the whole tour pack. It wouldn't be that hard.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Nooter99

Quote from: Jim Bronson on June 14, 2019, 09:26:15 AM
Mine is detachable on the docking mount. Even though I use a locking clamp, I worry about someone stealing the whole tour pack. It wouldn't be that hard.

That's a legitimate thing. There may not anything of value inside, but the tour pack itself is worth good money!

Sinker

Getting your stuff stolen sucks, but just do what you can to avoid it then don't worry about it. Riding bikes is about blowing off steam, not worrying about whatever could happen. Just my 2 cents

Jim Bronson

:agree: Installing some kind of visible extra lock will only serve to alert would-be thieves that there are valuables inside.

A cheap vibration alarm might not scare thieves, but if it is loud enough, the owner might hear it and spoil the thief's day.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

1workinman

:up:
Quote from: koko3052 on June 12, 2019, 08:33:27 AM
:up: Yea I don't leave any thing in the bike that I don't want taken an I park the bike by the window of motel bottom floor . I keep my little friend close as most do . Hope for the best

Fugawee

When I Ride I Always have My Saddle-Bags Locked.  Lost a Cover Many Moons Ago, and Learned a Lesson.  My Tour-Pak is Locked about 50% of the Time, until I Stop for the Night at a Hotel/Motel, it's Definitly Getting Locked.  I Too; Get a Ground Floor Room, and Have a 100% Legal "Friend" with Me at All Times, within the US Lower 48.  I am Usually Riding Solo, but with 1-2-3 Buddies of Mine on the Trip.  Sometimes I am Alone...Usually Not that Often, Though.  We Have All Been Riding Together Pretty Much Since We Were Kids  Everybody I Know Likes the Road, and Enjoys Getting Away from It All.  Being Retired/Semi-Retired Helps.  I Keep My Clothes/Essentials Bag bungied on the Passenger Seat, and Just Bring that In the Room.  I Went to a Good Sporting Goods Store, and Bought "Dry Bags" that are Used for Whitewater Rafting and Boating.  Work Great....Dry All the Time.  Guaranteed Dry, Except for Gun Shots, and Knifings.  I Check My Fairing Pouches, and Take that Stuff with Me to the Room, unless it's Gum or TicTac's.  Water Bottle on the HandleBars is Coming In with Me Also.  Something About Hotel Room Straight Tap Water that I Don't Care For.  I'll Drink It, if That's All That is Available.  I'll Make The Room Coffee with It, Shower With It, and That's It.  I Have a Tour-Pak, but not a Detachable.  Too Cheap to Buy the Kit, and I Use It All the Time Anyways.  A Couple Of My Buddies have the Detachable's.  They Will Bring Their Tour-Pak Right into Their Room.  I Keep My Registration/Insurance Card, etc. in My Wallet; on Me All the Time.  Pretty Much Anything With My Name and Address is with Me, on Me.  I Also Have on a Piece of Paper in My Wallet with Emergency Info...Wife's/Relative's Names, Blood Type, Allergies if Any, Meds that You Are, or Might Be Taking, Medical Insurance, and Policy #, Next of Kin/Friends, Religious Preference if any, My Plate and VIN #, just in Case I Spaz-Out because of a Problem, and Cant Think Right, and My Bikes Key #, My Credit and Debit Card Account #'s.  Just in Case of Whatever, etc.  On the Road with No Money, and No Credit=No Fun.  I Have Had That Same Piece of Paper for Years.  Nowadays, I Do the Same Thing, but on My Cell-Phone under I C E, (in case of Emergency) in My Contacts.  My Buddy is a Retired Professional Firefighter and EMT.  He Told Me, and Taught Me about That Awhile Back.  I Still Cant Part with that Piece of Paper Though. (If that paper could talk)  Everything Else Stays on The Bike.  I Have It All with Me All the Time Anyways, Local or Traveling. I Simply Lock My Ignition, and Use No Secondary Lock or Alarm.  I Do Have a Hidden Switch to Supply Power to the Ignition, that Only Myself, and My Riding Buddies Know About.  They Do the "Switch" As Well.  I Always Cover My Bike at Night, Rain or Shine with a Plain Rain Cover.  No H-D, or Other Manufacturer Logo on It.  No Braggin' or Chest Beatin' here, but I Have Traveled to All of the Lower 48, Eastern and Western Canada, and Mexico from Tijuana to Ensenada.  I Have Not had Any Problems with Bike Damage, Theft, or Any Other Stupid Sh@t, other than an Occasional Mechanical Mal-Function.  Few and Far Between.  Lets Change the Subject...The Only Issues I Have Encountered are The People Who Want to Talk to You, and Ask Where are You Going?, Where are You From?, Are You a Millionaire?, Are You Married?, the I "Used" to Have a Bike Story, Can We Take a Picture?, and All That.  I Don't Even Consider These To Be Issues...I Enjoy Talking and Learning about Other Peoples Ways of Life, as Well.  That's What Makes The Trip Interesting, in My Opinion.  I Also Think that Those People or Kids that Are Asking the Questions, or Telling You a Story...Get a Bit Less Intimidated Shooting the Breeze with Some Pony-Tailed, Bearded, Tattooed, Pierced Eared, Should Hit the Salad Bar More Often Bikers.  Sure Gives Them Something to Talk About Later on as Well.  I Don't Mind it at All, unless They are a Complete Drunken, Junkie, Sh@tHead Moron.  I Have Nothing to Say to Them, other than "Bye"'.

Like You Said, You are Probably Overthinking It.  I'm not Into Telling Anybody What to Do, or Think.  But;...Just Relax.  Enjoy Your Touring Bike.  Take Good Care of It.  Enjoy the Miles with the Smiles that You Put On It.  Plain and Simple...Relax and Enjoy!  Good Luck, and Maybe We Will Bump into Each Other On the "Road".     Take Care.

Hossamania

Good post Fugawee, I tend to agree with the whole thing.
You forgot the conversation with the person that insists on telling you a motorcycle crash story. I always counter with a story about a bunch of people killed in a minivan accident, and how dangerous they are.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.