April 19, 2024, 12:32:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

fuel petcock

Started by rhino, September 21, 2019, 05:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino

2001flht-vacuum petcock. when I stop and shut off motor my fuel valve ( petcock) leaks a little fuel out. I replaced the o-ring and it still happens. would this be the diaphragm needing replaced? it does not leak while riding as I have felt down there while riding and don't have any leaking. the bike is running fine,but I want to get this fixed without having to buy the whole petcock.

smoserx1

61200-97      DIAPHRAM, FUEL VALVE

Tynker

Quote from: rhino on September 21, 2019, 05:48:27 PM
2001flht-vacuum petcock. when I stop and shut off motor my fuel valve ( petcock) leaks a little fuel out. I replaced the o-ring and it still happens. would this be the diaphragm needing replaced? it does not leak while riding as I have felt down there while riding and don't have any leaking. the bike is running fine,but I want to get this fixed without having to buy the whole petcock.

Why not replace with a earlier petcock that has no vacuum hose,and plug yours.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

PC_Hater

If the new petcock diaphragm is installed backwards it stops the vacuum 'feature' from working.
The petcock becomes a nice ordinary manually operated petcock.
Block off the vacuum connection on the tap and the inlet manifold - job done.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

smoserx1

If the leak is only occurring when the engine is shut off and not while riding you may have an issue of your tank not venting properly.  The first thing I would do is try loosening the gas cap when you finish riding and see if it still leaks.

rhino

thanks for the replies, I tried loosening the gas cap when I stopped and it still seeped out,thinking I will buy the diaphragm and flip it around and block the ports off,diaphragm is only 17.00 and I would'nt think the plugs to block vacuum ports would be that much. thanks for the tips !!!!

rhino

one more question- if I decide to flip the diaphragm , is there a spring inside that I need to leave out? also I found out the parts guy I first talked to misquoted the price and it runs 30.00, not bad compared to a 100.00 for the whole petcock. thanks in advance for any replies

smoserx1

I think in the mid 2000s they changed from a metal petcock body to a plastic one and that is probably the $30 vs $100 issue.  Still, haven't heard of any problems with the plastic ones.  I have a friend that had one on a superglide.

hogpipes1

the vac holds the dia- open against the spring pressure. once eng off no vac, spring pressure closes the fuel petcock off. Turn the dia around  and place the spring on the other side to hold the dia open  . Now  you have a manual valve. leaving vac line on is fine. or just dis and plug at  carb.

Tynker

December 28, 2019, 05:19:54 PM #9 Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:49:05 PM by FSG
Quote from: rhino on October 15, 2019, 03:46:20 PM
one more question- if I decide to flip the diaphragm , is there a spring inside that I need to leave out? also I found out the parts guy I first talked to misquoted the price and it runs 30.00, not bad compared to a 100.00 for the whole petcock. thanks in advance for any replies

Why not buy this/ 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Valve-Harley-Davidson-Chrome-Petcock-Right-Outlet-Spigot-Custom-Sportster/311667931712...5276
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Hossamania

December 28, 2019, 05:58:58 PM #10 Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:13:13 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: Tynker on December 28, 2019, 05:19:54 PM

Why not buy this/ 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Valve-Harley-Davidson-Chrome-Petcock-Right-Outlet-Spigot-Custom-Sportster/311667931712...5276

I've not heard of 2Fast petcocks before, I would tend not to trust it, being made in Taiwan doesn't help my conference. I would stick with an OEM Harley petcock for about $40, or a Pingel. I've had a trouble free Pingel for 19 years, so I have no problem recommending them.

Edit: it looks like the OEM petcocks have gone up, $80 now, but a new diaphragm assembly can be had for $22.

Re-edit: FSG's post made me look again, the OEM $80 price I quoted were for '01, the price for '03 petcock is $35.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

the Petcock actually changed internals from the Evo to the TC early in the start of the TC's

Now an Evo internal Petcock you can just flip the diaphragm BUT a true TC you CANNOT as the spring will impede fuel flow and the engine will suffer fuel starvation at above 60 mph

an 01 TC Petcock is probable OK to flip, an 03 TC Petcock IS NOT, I have the info and have posted it years ago, but no time to find it right now

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on December 28, 2019, 05:58:58 PM
Quote from: Tynker on December 28, 2019, 05:19:54 PM

Why not buy this/ 

I've not heard of 2Fast petcocks before, I would tend not to trust it, being made in Taiwan doesn't help my conference. I would stick with an OEM Harley petcock for about $40, or a Pingel. I've had a trouble free Pingel for 19 years, so I have no problem recommending them.

Edit: it looks like the OEM petcocks have gone up, $80 now, but a new diaphragm assembly can be had for $22.

Re-edit: FSG's post made me look again, the OEM $80 price I quoted were for '01, the price for '03 petcock is $35.

hogpipes1

Quote from: FSG on December 28, 2019, 06:07:40 PM

the Petcock actually changed internals from the Evo to the TC early in the start of the TC's

Now an Evo internal Petcock you can just flip the diaphragm BUT a true TC you CANNOT as the spring will impede fuel flow and the engine will suffer fuel starvation at above 60 mph

an 01 TC Petcock is probable OK to flip, an 03 TC Petcock IS NOT, I have the info and have posted it years ago, but no time to find it right now

I haven't had any issues with my 03  bagger  bought new . Did the flip  way back then and most of the rd's. i am on are 55-65 mph . I will pull it apart this spring and see what's up. Do recall there was some change from my evo  but it's been ok up to 80 + for short times. Radar cops are just ahead.

rhino

just an update, I ordered a new diaphragm from harley and it does'nt work.  I went back to the harley shop and showed them that the part is different than my original one, they were very helpful and called HD and found out the petcock had been updated 4 times since 2001 and nothing they could do as the newest version is for the newest petcock. they did offer to refund my 32.00 and give me 10 percent off a new one so that is the route I am going. kinda sucks since I took everything apart 2 times and it leaked both times worse than the original leak. I am pleased that they were willing to work with me on the price and they went out of their way to find out why the 2 diaphragms were different. I guess thats what I get for keeping my 2001 alive and running. thanks for all the replies,really love this site !!!!!

Hossamania

Nothing wrong with keeping that '01 running, you'll just have to keep educating the parts desk personnel at HD!

nosjunkie

01-02 are the best year bikes to own....
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

rhino

I got the new one installed and no leaks !!!! it does look better and has a larger lever to make it easier to find when riding, although I rarely hit reserve. now if the weather would cooperate I can add to my 115,000 miles !!!!!! thanks again for all your replies