April 26, 2024, 06:31:19 AM

News:

Aftermarket shocks

Started by 89 fxrs, September 25, 2019, 09:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

Revo A coil Legends, Ohlins, or Fox shocks for a 2013 Road Glide Custom - heard good about all three - would like to hear some feedback on any or all three if you guys have any - thanks
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

rhuff

Ohlins.  They are good.  And known worldwide.  My next vote would be fox because everything they make is quality. 

guido4198

I went with Pro-Action shocks on my '85 FXRS.
http://street.pro-action.com/
Pulled the less than 2 yr old Progressives off to give Pro Action a try and never looked back.

Buglet

I have tried all three of those plus others not one of them impressed me. The sad part is I have a Ural that rides smoothed them most of my other bikes plus the new Harley street glides. I,am still trying different shocks.

Deye76

I installed Revo A's on my FXR a couple months ago, only slightly better than the $219.00 Hagons I removed. None of them worth what they cost IME. Many times when people spend a grand, they just can't admit the product is run of the mill. YMMV.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

rhuff

Quote from: BUGLET on September 26, 2019, 05:25:14 AM
    I have tried all three of those plus others not one of them impressed me. The sad part is I have a Ural that rides smoothed them most of my other bikes plus the new Harley street glides. I,am still trying different shocks.

If none of the three have impressed you, I'd be finding a person to help set your shocks up, not looking for another shock. 

Buglet

The first set were Ohlins and they set them they tried 4 time and they could not get it right. The first time the set them up I ended up with a knock in the front end, They got the knock out by redoing the shocks but it did not improved the ride that much over the stock shocks.  The second set was Revo on there demo bike not impressed. For the price difference between the low end shocks and the high end there is not enough difference in ride for what there cost. JMO

Deye76

If none of the three have impressed you, I'd be finding a person to help set your shocks up, not looking for another shock.
[/quote]

Once they are built and in your hands there isn't much left to do. The limited adjustments are not rocket science. Please tell us how you would "set them up"?

92flhtcu

I'm in with the "I'd like to see how they were set up" camp
I've ridden a lot of different set ups over the last two months, and all were an improvement over stock. Like cake, all good, some's just better than others
Need a bigger garage

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on September 26, 2019, 06:03:55 AM
I installed Revo A's on my FXR a couple months ago, only slightly better than the $219.00 Hagons I removed. None of them worth what they cost IME. Many times when people spend a grand, they just can't admit the product is run of the mill. YMMV.

You know, I had to have custom Racetech shocks made for my FXRs with the '02 bagger swingarms as the geometry, distances and moments were way out of the stock envelope. I went with their top of the line piggy back model with adjustable everything. I too was was sort of 'blah' about their performance and worth, until I rode a friends FXR with some off the rack mid grade shocks. Bike felt horrible. We are about the same size and weight and my friend had spent countless hours adjusting his stuff to get it perfect. I let him ride my red/white bike on the Dragon the last time you and I were at the Jam together. He purchased a set the following week. I don't know, I think there is something to high end shocks, but the don't really seem noticeable until you ride something less. Same thing with transmissions. Guys rave about the power of the engine and brakes after riding my bikes. When I ask them about ht transmission their response is usually along the lines of 'Yea, it shifted pretty good, never missed a shift, and the first and second gears were much better. What did you  do to it?'.

FYI - I have a reservation for MV. Looking forward to seeing you.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

scott7d

I just installed ProAction front and rear for $1025. Some rear shocks alone cost more than that.

They had them set up almost perfectly upon delivery. I made one minor adjustment to the preload. I used to cringe when I knew bumps were coming up. Now I have times where I hit them on purpose just because I can.

Very easy to dial in and prompt customer service if you have questions with any settings.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

rhuff

Once they are built and in your hands there isn't much left to do. The limited adjustments are not rocket science. Please tell us how you would "set them up"?
[/quote]

Setting sag?  Rebound?  Compression?  Most people don't get these set right.  I guess it's not rocket science, but anyone who tries 3 pairs of premium shocks and doesn't notice a difference either didn't set them up right or hasn't pushed the bike.  The difference in quality between and  ohlins shock and factory HD is significant.  JMHO.

That being said, I don't think the newer rear touring shocks on the harley are that bad, considering you only get 2 or 3 inches of travel.  Compared to the old air shocks, they are night and day better.  But still just okay. 

Deye76

September 28, 2019, 05:08:02 PM #12 Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:19:07 PM by Deye76
" I had to have custom Racetech shocks made"

Frankie Vidal suggested Race Tech, I should have listened to him. But I heard others ( 2 shop owners we both know) rave about Revo A, so when a friend had a brand new pair for $450.00 I bought them. Race Tech was 6 weeks out and I didn't want to wait. The Revo A's didn't come with correct spacers even though these shocks were ordered for a FXR. They leaked, and I had to spray dri-slide on them to set sag, could barely turn the springs up or down. As I stated already the ride wasn't $800 dollars better. When I took the bike on the Dragon with Revo's OK but again not 800 dollars better.  Glad I didn't pay full price. At some point I'll go with Race Tech. The RT springs and emulators in my forks are very good. Look forward to seeing you Turboprop.

rhuff, Ohlins doesn't have a shock for FXR's, they wanted me to use their Sportster shock.  :down:

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on September 28, 2019, 05:08:02 PM

Frankie Vidal suggested Race Tech, I should have listened to him. But I heard others ( 2 shop owners we both know) rave about Revo A, so when a friend had a brand new pair for $450.00 I bought them. Race Tech was 6 weeks out and I didn't want to wait. The Revo A's didn't come with correct spacers even though these shocks were ordered for a FXR. They leaked, and I had to spray dri-slide on them to set sag, could barely turn the springs up or down. As I stated already the ride wasn't $800 dollars better. When I took the bike on the Dragon with Revo's OK but again not 800 dollars better.  Glad I didn't pay full price. At some point I'll go with Race Tech. The RT springs and emulators in my forks are very good. Look forward to seeing you Turboprop.

rhuff, Ohlins doesn't have a shock for FXR's, they wanted me to use their Sportster shock.  :down:

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on September 28, 2019, 05:08:02 PM

Yea. IME many shops push what their Drag rep tells them to push and it is usually driven by profit margins. Not always, but too often. Then there is the 'What I have is the best and you should get that too'. I know the two guys you refer to and I hope more people from the community are seeing them for what they are.

FWIW, the RaceTech piggy backs on my red bike have been on for about four years. All of the adjustment points on them are just as smooth as when they came out of the box. I attribute that somewhat to the fact that RaceTech does not offer off the rack shocks. They are custom and built to order so when the customer gets them the various seals are fresh and have not been baked in a warehouse for a couple years.

I did the shocks on my blue/white FXR a little different than what I have done in the past. Instead of getting my tried and true piggy backs with adjustable everything I went with their top of the line non-piggyback but spec'd them a little longer and with 4.25" of travel. I did this because this bike will have bags that will hide the huge tire to fender gap and the bike is purpose built for high speed touring. My account rep at RT had an engineer call me to go over the specs. After we talked he agreed with my approach.

I saw one of the shop owners at the race track today. Not pleasant. The hate is mutual and runs deep.