April 24, 2024, 03:28:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ohlins Dampening Adjustment

Started by Propflux01, September 26, 2019, 08:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

Have a pair of ohlins and just need to get clarified on which way to adjust. If my ride is rough, and I want to soften it up, do I increase dampening, or do I decrease the dampening adjustment?

Just need to know which direction to go.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

louloupa

To improve comfort, it is necessary to decrease the hydraulic braking in compression .There is a knob to set it .

Propflux01

So turn the knob to decrease dampening?

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Propflux01

harpwrench

Just depends, not enough dampening can feel rough too

dynabagger

And then there's rebound to consider. Too fast or too slow will feel off. Start with setting the sag, then rebound, then compression.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Propflux01

Sag is set, 1/3 stroke. Springs are set for my weight. just needed a fine adjustment to start at without getting too deep into straying from where I am now.

PoorUB

Change one thing at a time so you know what you did. You can adjust, ride, adjust and ride until you adjust too far, then go back a bit. Then do the other adjustment the same method.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rhuff

Quote from: dynabagger on September 26, 2019, 02:47:32 PM
And then there's rebound to consider. Too fast or too slow will feel off. Start with setting the sag, then rebound, then compression.

Follow this.  Sag, rebound, compression. 

boggart

Which Ohlins shocks do you have?  I struggled setting mine for quite a while.  Finally figured out I was loosening dampening when I needed to be firming it to make it feel smoother.  So, it depends on what shocks you have, what you're set at, and what you're feeling. 

My best advice is to turn it one click one way, then try a click the other way to determine which direction you need to go.  I'll say that both my compression and rebound need to be set tighter than the factory starting point.  Typically, when I think it needs to be softer, it really needs to be firmer, and vice versa.  Then, when you think you have it perfect, try one click each way on just one shock to see if you can make it even better.