April 25, 2024, 07:17:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wheel Weights

Started by Blazing Saddles, September 27, 2019, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazing Saddles

Wheel weights - just a thought. :idea:..I expect I am not the only rider who has heard a "ting" from the front of the bike while riding.  I have learned that the 'ting" is the sound of a wheel weight departing from the front wheel and hitting the inside of the fender.   I have adopted the practice of taking a photograph of the placement of the wheel weights in order to replace any that are lost.  Simply recording the weights and locations for future reference and I carry replacements with me on long rides.  :up:

Hybredhog

Good idea on taking pictures, at least your ready. Road racers put a piece of duct tape over them for insurance, but I don't see the Harley crowd doing that, and the racing tires are only on a short while. Its been discussed here about various methods of retention, but surface cleanliness is paramount for tape weights. I use a contact cleaner (some brake cleaners can leave a residue), for wiping, and even give it a few minutes to dry, hopefully the weight/tape has some time also to set up before use. I think sometimes the people are washing the bike to much or using degreasers that can weaken the grip have a lot to do with weight loss.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Rusticwater

The last time that happened I switched to Dyna Beads, never going back to adhesive weights...
Support the Maine lobster industry

smoserx1

AFAIK never had one come off.  As mentioned the surface needs to be clean and dry prior to application.  That tape adhesive is tough stuff if used properly.

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: Rusticwater on September 27, 2019, 09:33:16 AM
The last time that happened I switched to Dyna Beads, never going back to adhesive weights...

Same here.  I was constantly throwing off wheel weights.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

chaos901

I've had them come off, went to RIDE-ON inside the tire.  Works great.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

IronButt70

:agree:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

koko3052

I use the same "powder" balancer that I use in my rig trucks tires, adjusted amounts to tire size, and all is good! Way cheaper than dyna beads. :up:

PoorUB

I have never lost a weight.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Carl 1969

Had a local indy put a new Avon Cobra Chrome on my rear wheel & he used stick-on weights. No problem, except that they were too wide to sit correctly & make full contact with the rim & one fell off while reinstalling the wheel. Didn't full like pulling it back down, taking it back to the shop (I know now not to do anymore business with them) & all that mess. Did some digging online & ordered a few cans of Ride-On. Gonna pitch the rear weights & figure I may as well do the front while I'm at it.

Side note- I'm so over paying someone to mount & balance tires & gonna just start doing it myself.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

Panzer

I had a couple of screws loose  :crook:  but never lost a weight.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Nastytls

Quote from: PoorUB on September 27, 2019, 01:15:59 PM
I have never lost a weight.

Neither have I, on any of my bikes... always used stick on type.

Skin

If anything besides air comes out of a tire when I break the bead, I charge extra for the clean up. As was stated before, surface prep is paramount.

chaos901

FWIW, Ride-On does not make a mess and is not loose, it stays around the inside of the tire.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Preparation by cleaning the area where the weights are attached is key and essential - They won't come off if installed correctly.

I used Dyn-Beads in my Shop. But, noticed when changing tires about two years or older, it was merely dust found when breaking the down. The idea is not a bad one. however, how does one know unless they're on a Balance Machine for certain?
Tom

YPD485

Quote from: chaos901 on September 28, 2019, 04:58:27 AM
FWIW, Ride-On does not make a mess and is not loose, it stays around the inside of the tire.

I now have a CVO with the Harley TPMS. I wonder if it's ok to use ride-on with these sensors? I called ride-on and spoke with an engineer and he said as long as the sensors are hermetically sealed, it will be fine. Problem is I can't find anyone at Harley HQ's that knows the answer.

chaos901

QuoteI now have a CVO with the Harley TPMS. I wonder if it's ok to use ride-on with these sensors? I called ride-on and spoke with an engineer and he said as long as the sensors are hermetically sealed, it will be fine. Problem is I can't find anyone at Harley HQ's that knows the answer.

I have a different brand of TPMS and the Ride-On does not affect them.  The product basically coats the inside of the tread part of the tire and stays there, even when the tire is removed. 

rbabos

The tapes for weights are not all equal. The paper types suck at lasting in wet conditions. The 3m foam tapes are the best. Clean and dry prior to stick on , should long out last the tire.
Ron

fbn ent

Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol works real well.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Slider1950

I like the idea of ride on but I would be concerned about corrosion to the wheel inside the tire.

Jim Bronson

I've never had one come off. I mark the wheel with a fine point sharpie just in case.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: chaos901 on September 28, 2019, 04:58:27 AM

:up: it's not Slime.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

92flhtcu

Ride-On is not corrosive, however, if the tire is run low on air, say a bead leak or or valve leak, and the tire gets over 400f inside, the Ride-On will thin out and turn a brownish color. That being said, I've been running it in all my bikes for over 5 years now.
As stated, it is not like Slime which we all hate
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

I will admit that I had to use Slime one time out on a ride, picked up a nail and used it to get home. Got a new tire a few days later, but I forgot to tell the shop about the Slime, he said it went everywhere when they dismounted the tire. I felt terrible when he mentioned it, and promised it would never happen again. I also gave an extra $10 on the bill.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rob L

I've been using Ride-On for the past several years and it works great for me. Like previously mentioned, it does not make a mess inside the tire like the green slime stuff does. Ride-On adheres to the inside of the contact patch but it still can be wiped out with a rag if need be. There are some great videos on YouTube showing what Ride-On does. Its worth checking them out online