April 25, 2024, 10:02:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Softail and trailer

Started by IronButt70, September 27, 2019, 12:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

I'm looking at a small travel trailer to tow with my 17 FLSTC. The trailer weighs in at 350 pounds. Throw in maybe another 50-75 lbs. of travel gear. My question is will a softail frame be able to handle the weight and strain for long distance towing? I'm also considering a smaller comp sprocket to lower the gearing. TIA
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

JW113

I don't the frame is of any concern. What's going to take the burnt of it is the clutch, and the brakes. So if you're taking a maximum of ~400-ish pounds, go easy on the launches and panic stops, I think you'll be fine. What might help a little is converting the front forks to dual disk.

Just my 2cents!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FSG

I agree with the launches and stops ......

I know all about upgrading to Dual Discs on the front, did it on my 03 Fatty and I'd not go that route again

Braking is all about swept area, increase it will improve braking without a doubt,

a larger diameter rotor, 13 Inch and bracket to relocate the caliper is probably all you'd need

[attach=0]

PoorUB

350+ pound trailer? Pretty heavy for a 700 pound motorcycle. The drive line and frame will be fine. It is just a bit more than I would want to pull.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PC_Hater

I take it there are no US regulations on bikes towing trailers?
FYI the UK regs are below , and you'll see what you propose would be illegal here, equally you would probably never got stopped and checked by the police!
150kg is 330lbs max laden weight of the trailer with all your junk in it. You will be something like one third over that.
I realise 'lightness' is anathema in the US, but if you could find a lighter trailer it might be best!
I suppose a Harley is somewhat bigger and heftier than the average bike the regs were written for.
I usually only see Goldwings with a trailer.

Towing with a motorbike

You can use motorbikes with an engine size of 125cc or more to tow small trailers.
Your motorbike has to be clearly and permanently marked with its 'kerbside weight'.
Kerbside weight is the weight of the vehicle without passengers or any load but with a full tank of fuel and filled up with the necessary oils, water and fluids.
The trailer must be no more than 1 metre wide and must be clearly and permanently marked with its unladen weight.
When the trailer is loaded it must weigh no more than 150 kilograms or 2/3 of the kerbside weight of the motorbike - whichever is lighter.
When hitched, the distance between the end of the trailer and the rear axle of the motorbike must be no more than 2.5 metres.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

koko3052

Glad that you posted that, it gives some guidelines to think about. :up:

IronButt70

Thanks for all the advice. Here is the camper I'm considering but haven't made any final decision yet. Any other recommendations on a trailer would be much appreciated.
https://theusatrailerstore.com/solace-motorcycle-camping-trailer/?msclkid=74153825a3331f08deb2652d5454e9e5

hbkeith

guy down the street has one of those trailers for sale right now , well , all summer

IronButt70

Quote from: hbkeith on September 29, 2019, 05:16:41 AM
guy down the street has one of those trailers for sale right now , well , all summer
Where is down the street and do you know the asking price?

PC_Hater

Quote from: koko3052 on September 29, 2019, 04:12:16 AM
Glad that you posted that, it gives some guidelines to think about. :up:

Yes, being government rules they are bound to be conservative...
I would happily ignore them to tow a short distance where it is flat.
For long distance on the motorway I would be more inclined to try and stay within the rules!

lilchief

Having a trailer to tow behind my bike, I know that it's easy to overload it, since you'll see all the extra space you'll have. I always fall into the old "I might need this, & this, & that" routine. Whatever you do, make sure your load is balanced, it makes life much easier when pulling a trailer.

Lil Chief

JW113

So you think is "safer". A 200lb dude pulling a 400lb trailer, or two 350lb passengers on a fully loaded up Ultra (bags and tour pack)?

-JW

PC_Hater

Quote from: JW113 on September 29, 2019, 10:24:03 AM
So you think is "safer". A 200lb dude pulling a 400lb trailer, or two 350lb passengers on a fully loaded up Ultra (bags and tour pack)?

-JW

The overloaded Ultra of course! It is doing what it is designed to do.

Have you seen trailers snaking around when being towed by cars? Nasty, wouldn't want that behind my bike!

lilchief

Fortunately, I've never had my trailer start slithering on me. I did have an instance once coming down off of a mountain and was coming into a curve a little too hot, and the trailer felt like it was pushing me. It defintiely let me know it was back there. It was an oh "Potty mouth" moment, but I was able to get it under control. A trailer definitely takes some getting used to, no doubt.

Lil Chief

ViseGrips

September 30, 2019, 04:08:28 AM #14 Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 04:22:17 AM by ViseGrips
Quote from: IronButt70 on September 29, 2019, 05:04:48 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Here is the camper I'm considering but haven't made any final decision yet. Any other recommendations on a trailer would be much appreciated.
https://theusatrailerstore.com/solace-motorcycle-camping-trailer/?msclkid=74153825a3331f08deb2652d5454e9e5

..that's like the Time Out /Deluxe that I just had since 99 and just sold ...same weight.. it was a bit heavy for both my 99 and 05 stock FLHTCs....a 95ci with an Andrews 26 or something similar would have been better on the hills etc....you currently have more cubic inches..:up:... a quicker set up and lighter weight trailer by 100 lbs >>> Lees-ure lite .. 2 different models and weight   http://www.leesurelite.com/tent-trailers.asp 

kd

Quote from: ViseGrips on September 30, 2019, 04:08:28 AM

..that's like the Time Out /Deluxe that I just had since 99 and just sold ...same weight.. it was a bit heavy for both my 99 and 05 stock FLHTCs....a 95ci with an Andrews 26 or something similar would have been better on the hills etc....you currently have more cubic inches..:up:... a quicker set up and lighter weight trailer by 100 lbs >>> Lees-ure lite .. 2 different models and weight   http://www.leesurelite.com/tent-trailers.asp 

My buddy has one of these.  Canadian money (@ 35% less than US), can be picked up and fit to the bike and your first trip is the ride home if you like.  That's what my buddy did.
KD

IronButt70

Quote from: ViseGrips on September 30, 2019, 04:08:28 AM

Nice trailers but they're $2k more than the solace.

tomcat64

350#'s is heavy, as stated above towing isn't the problem, stopping is, ABS breaks are helpful, but I'd look for a trailer that is half that weight..

IronButt70

September 30, 2019, 06:27:59 AM #18 Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:46:59 PM by IronButt70
Quote from: tomcat64 on September 30, 2019, 05:57:42 AM
350#'s is heavy, as stated above towing isn't the problem, stopping is, ABS breaks are helpful, but I'd look for a trailer that is half that weight..
I will be looking and I may drive up to see one of the solace trailers in person. I'm sure there are ways to reduce weight. Air mattress instead of bed is one that comes to mind. Doubt there are any campers at 175#s

tomcat64

I pull a cyclemate, works great for what we do with it. BTW all these people that tell you "ya can't even tell it's back there" are lying! You always know it is there and you have to ride accordingly.

JW113

Yes, ride accordingly is the key. An acquaintance of ours actually makes motorcycle camping trailers, out of wood no doubt! Like a little teardrop cabin on wheels. Have to imagine those are not very lightweight, but then I don't really know. He shared a story once, was pulled over by a cop for speeding. He said he was doing the speed limit (70mph), but the cop quickly pointed out: Vehicles with Trailers 55mph! He didn't think they meant motorcycles too, but clearly the cop disagreed.

:doh:

-JW

Tollbooth

Great trailer, 2 big people sleep well. Fun to watch all that tent come out of such a small trailer.

IronButt70

Quote from: Tollbooth on September 30, 2019, 06:00:09 PM
Great trailer, 2 big people sleep well. Fun to watch all that tent come out of such a small trailer.
Which one?