April 18, 2024, 08:40:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Softail battery power

Started by NCHeritage07, September 28, 2019, 07:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCHeritage07

What are you softail owners running for battery power.  I put whatever brand Lead/Acid battery Advance auto sells in mine last year and its getting a bit sluggish on starts.  If its just off the battery tender then it starts with some authority.  I have checked the voltage and it shows 14v at idle.  Before buying the tender it was always sluggish with cold starts then was OK for the rest of my rides.  Now, with the tender I have nice cold starts but even after a short ride(5 minute) to the nearest gas station I got the whole stop-on-compression moment of concern.

I don't typically put cheap batteries anything anymore and I usually go with Interstate.  I think I read here that Deka is their equal and I originally bought one of those for the bike but I ended up with a model that was too big.  Had to ship it back and wanted to ride so, thats why the adv auto battery is there now.

So, if I am looking at Deka or Interstate, is there anything short of lithium that I should consider?  Lithium needs a longer track record for me to take that plunge.
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

Leed

I put an X-Rated battery in my EG this summer and along with a more powerful starter by bike spins up great.
How long the battery lasts in this Houston heat I have no idea.  Since moving here I haven't had a battery last much more than 2 years.

borno

I have had a yuasa GYZ20HL in my 07 for a couple years and no problems. I don't use a tender, just give it a charge about once a month if I can't ride it in the winter. Made in the USA also.

kd

I get that you are not yet comfortable with the Lithium offerings.  They can be expensive to use but the technology is proven now.  Their life expectancy is double the acid based units so price becomes irrelevant considering what you get for that money.  I suggest you look over the various offerings from Antigravity.  They have a stellar / longer warranty and I will vouch for their client service.  I know others on this site will too.  I am now looking at their fob option restart and /or maybe their 990 cranking amp version for my 120. The restart fob when you leave your switch on or after extended storage is only offered by them AFAIK.
KD

NCHeritage07

My biggest concern about the Lithium battery is the fact that they strongly discourage the use of standard lead-acid chargers with them but my bike essentially has a lead-acid charger built in.  If a charger that charges to 14V is not good then how can the same voltage from the bike be OK?

Also, they don't list one for my year of softail.  I could be wrong but I think STs require a smaller batter than most.

I may reach out to Anti-G and see what they have to say.
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

Hossamania

Quote from: NCHeritage07 on September 29, 2019, 07:32:53 PM
My biggest concern about the Lithium battery is the fact that they strongly discourage the use of standard lead-acid chargers with them but my bike essentially has a lead-acid charger built in.  If a charger that charges to 14V is not good then how can the same voltage from the bike be OK?

Also, they don't list one for my year of softail.  I could be wrong but I think STs require a smaller batter than most.

I may reach out to Anti-G and see what they have to say.

Do some searches here, all kinds of info on lithium batteries and why your charging system works with them, and why standard maintainer chargers shouldn't be used. Many people here are using them with success.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

IronButt70

Look for a 500 CCA battery. Put one in mine last year. Spins the engine over with no hesitation hot or cold. I know many here swear by the new lithium batteries but I'm still wary of them on a hot bike. Seen 2 videos of bikes on fire started by lithium batteries.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

CndUltra88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YO9XO7qjXE
A Shorai Li battery came with the Fuggly when I bought it last year.
Bought the Shorai battery charger for over the winter ...
Bike flashes up all day every day for this years riding season.
Would I buy another ??
I dont know, but will wait and see how long this one lasts.
$$$ yup I agree and if it lasts longer than an OEM one I will have to consider the cost/time = value or not.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

tomcat64

my HD batteries seem to last at least 5 years,, I do use a tender (7 of them) for the winter..

1workinman

Quote from: kd on September 29, 2019, 08:10:42 AM
I get that you are not yet comfortable with the Lithium offerings.  They can be expensive to use but the technology is proven now.  Their life expectancy is double the acid based units so price becomes irrelevant considering what you get for that money.  I suggest you look over the various offerings from Antigravity.  They have a stellar / longer warranty and I will vouch for their client service.  I know others on this site will too.  I am now looking at their fob option restart and /or maybe their 990 cranking amp version for my 120. The restart fob when you leave your switch on or after extended storage is only offered by them AFAIK.
KD I installed a Twin power lithium ion or how ever is spelled on my 12 street glide with the 124 and I got a new lead acid battery on my 13 road glide that has the 145 , When I got it home it ate the starter clutch so I fixed that and then it had hot start problems , so I installed bigger cables and then swapped battery on bikes . That fixed the 145 starting and now the 124 is starting to have problems starting with the almost new battery . It use to start damn good with the Twin power damn Ray suggested to replace it with a Twin power and I was going to wait but there is no comparison between them for me . I never even had to use the tender last winter . I installed it and in less an a minuet or so it was full charged . There may be better battery but so far its done a good job 

Coff 06

I'm also having good luck with the X-Rated in my 06 FXSTSI.Had it for a while now.500 cca and it spins my 11.0/1 easily without using comp releases.Got mine off Amazon.  Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Pirsch Fire Wagon

If the new Branded Lithium Batteries are so good, why do we replace so many under Warranty?

The only + I see is their weight is just a few pounds.

In its basic form, they're just filled with Capacitors.

Like everything else Electrical in this Country, we are NOT prepared for the new age electrical introductions like Tesla, Live Wire, and on.
Tom

db13

I just bought https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SBEETX16  for my 102 in Shovelhead stroker  (in a softail frame ) and it turns it over like a honda 90  now we see how long it last (only got a year out of the wally world batteries) also its USA made which is also a plus keep the rubber side down...

Ironheadmike

I thought that they didn't recommend lithium batteries in softails because of the placement . The horseshoe oil bag gets the battery hot and kills it prematurely .

ThumperDeuce

I've been running Anti-Gravity batteries for 10 years now in my Deuce without any problems.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

a_disalvo

Battery sales guy told me Exide made the HD battery. If it lasts 5 years with a tender, no brainer!!! Frank

boooby1744

Almost all ATM batteries manufactured these days use recycled lead. You ain't getting 5 years out of them.

NCHeritage07

Well my trash battery finally failed to start the bike immediately off the tender.  Oddly enough, I was able to use an old charger for RC batteries (but also has a setting for lead-acid) to recharge it and it started,,, once.  I shut it off to get my helmet, jacket and glasses and it barely started back.  So, I went for a ride with plans to avoid shutting off the engine and rode for about 45 minutes.  Once I got back home I put the same charger on it and it immediately reported a full charge.  So, I think my charging system is OK.  It did restart at that point but it was very labored.  I went back a few hours later and it wouldn't push past the compression stroke.

I ordered an X-rated battery that claims 500CCA and still fits, should be here tomorrow.  I am keeping the Lithium batteries in mind for the next one...

I may try my current battery in my old 2-stroke SeaDoo.  It seems that the small battery compartment of the ST oil tank means that lead-acid/AGM batteries have to be in near perfect condition to operate.

pddredduece

I have a 2005 Deuce with a 107" stroker motor. I use wholesale batteries direct 500cca battery. $104.95 free shipping to your front door. (800) 790-8050

NCHeritage07

So far, so good.  Only 2 starts but it started before I could even notice a compression stroke.

The X-rated battery was ~$104 on Amazon.