April 18, 2024, 10:43:19 PM

News:

Setting Sag HD Hand Adjustable Shocks - Touring

Started by r0de_runr, September 29, 2019, 07:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0de_runr

I've been given a set of take off late model hand adjustable 12.5in LOW shocks for a Touring bike.  I think probably a 16 or newer but I don't know for sure.

I've installed them on my 14 Limited that I ride 90% as a Street Glide and 95% Solo. Also usually have empty saddle bags.  I'm about 270lbs.

I've set the Sag at 5 clicks which is 2.5 turns out from zero.  The zip tie in the photo (look at the top edge of the zip tie) looks to be about 1/3 of the total travel when I sat on the bike.  I did not bounce, just sat down.

Does it look like the right amount of sag?

Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

rhuff

Honestly, with these shocks, I wouldn't worry too much about the "sag."  Just set them up for the weight and see how they respond.  Adjust up or down a click or 2 at a time to fine tune. 

Rockout Rocker Products

I had those on my '15 Limited Low when new. The only setting that worked was full stiff. Anything else I was riding on the bump stops a lot. It confuses you 'cause the weaker you make them the harsher the ride feels because of this.
FYI I'm about 225.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Jim Bronson

Mine seem to work best when set to 0-1 on my RK solo. I weigh 180.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

PoorUB

I tried a pair on my 2016 Limited.  Too harsh even on the lowest setting. But then I am a 180 pound light weight. They might work better for you bigger guys.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Quote from: PoorUB on September 30, 2019, 03:48:15 PM
I tried a pair on my 2016 Limited.  Too harsh even on the lowest setting. But then I am a 180 pound light weight. They might work better for you bigger guys.
Just curious what you replaced them with.

PoorUB

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 30, 2019, 05:17:49 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on September 30, 2019, 03:48:15 PM
Just curious what you replaced them with.

Still running the stock air shocks. I have issues paying $1,000-$1,500 for shocks. Plus I am trying to decide if I am going it keep it, or sell it and ride the BMW. My wife says to keep it! Tough to argue with her.

Helmwurst

Try running them closer to 6-10 turns. Everyone complains that ride is too stiff, I have found about 4-6 turns solo for me (190ib) depending on how much stuff I am wearing and all the crap in the bags. Road Glide Spec. Just back from 700 mile trip with passenger and 2 small bags on the back. Had setting at 10 turns, very comfortable ride. Only hit bottom once, large dip in road at 65mph. Try setting them higher than what the book says.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Helmwurst on September 30, 2019, 07:04:20 PM
Try running them closer to 6-10 turns. Everyone complains that ride is too stiff, I have found about 4-6 turns solo for me (190ib) depending on how much stuff I am wearing and all the crap in the bags. Road Glide Spec. Just back from 700 mile trip with passenger and 2 small bags on the back. Had setting at 10 turns, very comfortable ride. Only hit bottom once, large dip in road at 65mph. Try setting them higher than what the book says.

:agree:

As I said.... it's deceptive & counter intuitive. You think they're too stiff so you lighten them up. What's really happening is you're riding on the bump stops a lot & need to stiffen them up. Try it.

Really.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

PoorUB

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 30, 2019, 08:34:24 PM

:agree:

As I said.... it's deceptive & counter intuitive. You think they're too stiff so you lighten them up. What's really happening is you're riding on the bump stops a lot & need to stiffen them up. Try it.

Really.

I donno, I could sit on the motorcycle and I know they barely sagged with my weight on them on the lowest settings.

r0de_runr

So here is what I did.  I took my stock air shocks and drained them, got nearly 12 oz out of each.  Then I replaced with 10 oz of 10 wt hyd oil.  Added 20lbs air with fittings on each shock (no air line) and reinstalled.  Will go for a ride tomorrow.

I want that other inch of travel the 13 inch air shock provide.

Hossamania

Don't be afraid to try more air as you go. I run up to 50lbs. when two up loaded, almost 40 often when solo. This on the Ultra. RoadKing is pretty close to those too.
But, I'm a big burly guy, your results may vary.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Hossamania on October 01, 2019, 05:58:54 PM
Don't be afraid to try more air as you go. I run up to 50lbs. when two up loaded, almost 40 often when solo. This on the Ultra. RoadKing is pretty close to those too.
But, I'm a big burly guy, your results may vary.

Same bike, I go 185.  Two up ( she goes about 150 but I ain't asking  :wink:) 50 psi works great. I have it at 45-50 if going on a trip solo.  Kinda stiff on the expansion joints but not enough to worry about.  Mostly I am lazy and don't want to adjust them when she wants to go for a putt. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Tail Ridr

Same here on the stock shocks, if its above 45, I leave it or add it to get there...but to lazy :kick: to let it out for a solo ride. But I keep reading to find the "magic" set of shocks that'll give the ride I'm looking for, without the kick back that causes my wife to sit in the same seat I am and have to keep shovin' herself back.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

r0de_runr

I was perfectly happy riding around o Harleys since my first 07 Ultra.  Had an 07, 09, a 12 CVO and a 13 RGU, then a 18 Heritage that really rode nice but sumped.  Then this 14 Limited.

Then I bought a used BMW R1200RT and found what a modern suspension was capable of.  Suddenly my Limited felt like I was riding around with solid drag racing struts on the back.  So I bought the take off hand adjustables and not any help.  I'm not ready to pony up $600 or more for shocks that might not fix my perception.

If anyone wants these hand adjustable make me an offer. 12.5 inch.

boggart

that was not enough sag for me when I had those shocks.  Topped out all the time.

Jim Bronson

Mine adjustables are set to between 0 and 1. I think if I set them to 6, my backbone would not be happy.

brokenwing

:agree: :agree: :agree:
Quote from: Jim Bronson on October 03, 2019, 01:15:34 PM
Mine adjustables are set to between 0 and 1. I think if I set them to 6, my backbone would not be happy.

PBSTN

I think Harley "upgraded" the hand adjustable shocks in 2017. I am running a set of 13"s on my 10 road king. They're from a 2018. Rides good.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

rhuff

Quote from: PBSTN on October 04, 2019, 06:43:07 PM
I think Harley "upgraded" the hand adjustable shocks in 2017. I am running a set of 13"s on my 10 road king. They're from a 2018. Rides good.

Thank you for putting "upgrade" in quotes.  Lord knows, the advertising went as they 2017's had "all new suspension."  Sure....virtually the same shock as the year before.

D.W.

The bike should have about 3/4 of an inch of sag. Best if measured from a point in the bike, and not your shock itself.

havenolife

I'm pretty sure the book said if your 200lbs or lees keep it on 0 clicks that was on the 12 lo pros that came stock on the 16 and down but the 12.5 shocks a don't know
Harley Davidson making mechanices out of riders since 1903