April 24, 2024, 10:11:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Brake pad seperation

Started by Hybredhog, October 03, 2019, 02:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

Kind of an odd one today. I'm changing out a set of tires on a '06 FLHT cop bike (27k), and the customer mentioned the front brakes were squealing. I took a quick look at them when he dropped it off, and there was plenty of lining left at a glance. But once I pulled off the wheel, the OEM linings were separating from the backing plate, On both side, all pads. Two out and out fell off & the other two you could peel off with your fingers. Now the bike was kind of ratty looking, like it sat out in the weather a lot, so maybe some moisture froze under the linings or something? I haven't seen OEM pads do this, and as far as I know this bike never seen cop duty. But anyways he got 2 new sets of pads.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hossamania

Were they really oem pads, or aftermarket?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hybredhog

I went out to my recycle bin to confirm, and looked at those, and OEM have HAYES**** stamped on them.

TXChop

Have seen that on pads for cars before but never on a bike set.

fleetmechanic

We've had that happen on some of our '00-'07 police models that ran in the snow with sidecars.  Seems like the adhesive just let go.  Haven't seen it on any of the OEM Brembo pads on '08-later.

Hybredhog

I can't confirm, but do they use a different part # on cop bikes? I would think a cop bike in service would go though pads many times over, and maybe those pads have different linings & glue ?  Up here they use magnesium  chloride for de-icing, that may eat the glue? 

fleetmechanic

The pads are all the same.  Mag Chloride is used down here too and it eats everything.