April 26, 2024, 03:21:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2008 with ABS

Started by Tynker, October 05, 2019, 01:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

This is for all you folks in the know, with answers.
My friend has a 2008 Ultra Classic with ABS. He did not want ABS, after hearing about all the troubles people had with them, so he removed all the factory lines,replaced with standard SS brake lines. He pulled the ABS fuse, disconnected the sensor lines front and back.. Now the ABS light went out, but when he started riding it came back on and will not go out. How can he make the ABS light go out and stay out. Thanks for any help.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

FSG

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Norton Commando

Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Coyote

Pirsch Fire Wagon

My question is why? All he had to do was remove the fuse.  :wtf:
Tom

Tynker

Read the post. Fuse was removed, and it did not help.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Coyote

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on October 05, 2019, 04:29:41 PM

Once the speedo is expecting the ABS module, it will light the ABS lamp when it's missing.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Coyote on October 05, 2019, 04:37:01 PM

Once the speedo is expecting the ABS module, it will light the ABS lamp when it's missing.

He took the whole system off. If he didn't want ABS, just remove the fuse or cut a wire. F the lamp. I can turn the lamp off with Digital Technician II. Just remove the Option from the Drop-Down Menu and Push "Apply Changes" after the Bullet is removed from the Radio Button no more lamp.
Tom

Coyote

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on October 05, 2019, 04:44:32 PM

He took the whole system off.

Yeah, that's what I'd do to if I didn't want it. More crap left, more problems. I'd have to look to see if Centurion will let me turn off the lamp but I don't think so. I thought I remember them telling me once it's active, you can't. But I could be wrong as it's never come up for me.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Coyote on October 05, 2019, 05:02:02 PM
Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on October 05, 2019, 04:44:32 PM

He took the whole system off.

Yeah, that's what I'd do to if I didn't want it. More crap left, more problems. I'd have to look to see if Centurion will let me turn off the lamp but I don't think so. I thought I remember them telling me once it's active, you can't. But I could be wrong as it's never come up for me.

I don't know if Centenarian will or not. I was talking with Carlos last week about the "new featured" Systems coining in 2020 Mid Year ( so they probably won't come till 2021 if history repeats itself). 

The new TL3 VCM's will with DT-II will turn on/off everything.

If you don't like Crap being on the Motorcycle, you're going to love what's coming..

Rather than having to add items physically, they're moving to a Automotive Dealer Approach. "All the systems". i.e.: Nav, Stage I, II, Intuitive Breaking, a new Speaker Config (which is already there, they're adding a few additional like adjustable like an Equalizer (can't believe it took them this long) will already be loaded into the ECM and on the Motorcycle.

The Dealer will merely unlock that function for a "fee" as an "option" rather than downloading, waiting on parts and flashing. This should prove to be interesting.

"They're commitment to Dealerships and New Riders Initiative" will eventually package everything to generate sales. i.e. you want it, it can be added in a "Flash".
Tom

chaos901

To each his own, but I've got a 2008 with ABS and have not had any real issues.  May not have wanted it at first but I like it now.  Curious as to what his concerns were with ABS?
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

rbabos

Quote from: chaos901 on October 06, 2019, 05:06:51 AM
To each his own, but I've got a 2008 with ABS and have not had any real issues.  May not have wanted it at first but I like it now.  Curious as to what his concerns were with ABS?
Same reason people fight liquid cooled. While the ABS system in the HD isn't the industry standard for excellence it has saved my bacon the one and only time I needed it. Besides, the cost of a real replacement as in OEM non ABS lines to convert would be in the area of an HCU . If the bike was built with and without ABS, using OEM non ABS components would likely keep your insurance guy happy, should something happen. Using mickey mouse components is a red flag, especially if that model bike was never built with a non ABS option.
Ron

kd

Quote from: rbabos on October 06, 2019, 07:26:52 AM
Same reason people fight liquid cooled. While the ABS system in the HD isn't the industry standard for excellence it has saved my bacon the one and only time I needed it. Besides, the cost of a real replacement as in OEM non ABS lines to convert would be in the area of an HCU . If the bike was built with and without ABS, using OEM non ABS components would likely keep your insurance guy happy, should something happen. Using mickey mouse components is a red flag, especially if that model bike was never built with a non ABS option.
Ron

:agree:  Skid marks, oor lack of them are one of the first investigation points in a collision or other accident.
KD

Tynker

His front wheel was having the brake applied, when he was not doing it. Brake lever  was hard like he was using it but he was not. Removed the line from the ABS unit and pressure was removed from front master cylinder. Harley says if the ABS unit fails brakes will return to Non ABS function, this is BS !!
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

PoorUB

Ahh! So he had an ABS module failure, then stripped out the ABS. Your original post seemed to indicate he just did not want it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Tynker

He did not want it to start with, he bought the bike used, but when it failed, he said it had to go.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rbabos

Quote from: Tynker on October 06, 2019, 12:48:48 PM
His front wheel was having the brake applied, when he was not doing it. Brake lever  was hard like he was using it but he was not. Removed the line from the ABS unit and pressure was removed from front master cylinder. Harley says if the ABS unit fails brakes will return to Non ABS function, this is BS !!
Agree, BS. Either front or rear can go hard peddle and it will not function, period. Only morons like HD can come up with such a fkd up system and the NHTSA let's it slide, with only a stupid dealer brake fluid flush as the safe solution. Classic dumb and dumber situation.
Ron

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: rbabos on October 06, 2019, 03:45:10 PM
Quote from: Tynker on October 06, 2019, 12:48:48 PM
Agree, BS. Either front or rear can go hard peddle and it will not function, period. Only morons like HD can come up with such a fkd up system and the NHTSA let's it slide, with only a stupid dealer brake fluid flush as the safe solution. Classic dumb and dumber situation.
Ron

What the Motor Company missed was these were the EXACT same problems BMW and Honda had in the 1970' and 80' when they introduced ABS.

As with them both [BMW and Honda], improper Fluid caused contamination (synergism) resulting in the Modules becoming Blocked with sediment generated by moisture primarily due to the small size of the system and Heat Cycles.

This was not new. How they missed it? Who knows. Perhaps a rush to offer it to the Public. Like so many other things. Now, on P.D.I. if the Motorcycle has the REFLEX system on it, it has to receive a complete new flash because someone, somewhere, forgot to set it up. How do you miss that on your "Flag Ship" Braking System?

If you think it bad...... It's worse...... It really is.

We LITERALLY threw cases upon cases of Brake Fluid in the Dumpster when the communications came down.
Tom

D.W.

I removed mine because it often confused engine braking with the wheels locking up, so if you were feathering the brakes they would start to chatter in response. Very annoying. I did use black tape to get the abs light to "go away"

kd

DW, if the ABS is sensing one wheel slowing you may be downshifting to hard and skidding the rear tire.  That has been known to shift the flywheels.   :crook:   It's possible the ABS was doing what it was supposed to do.
KD

D.W.

I wasn't skidding the tire.

Ohio HD

I use the rear brake very sparingly , 95% of the time I'm leaning on the fronts.

kd

Quote from: kd on October 06, 2019, 08:58:00 PM
DW, if the ABS is sensing one wheel slowing you may be downshifting to hard and skidding the rear tire.  That has been known to shift the flywheels.   :crook:   It's possible the ABS was doing what it was supposed to do.

Quote from: D.W. on October 06, 2019, 09:04:24 PM
I wasn't skidding the tire.

Have you changed either of the tires from the OEM size?  The tire size is important so the ECM doesn't read the speeds from each wheel outside the pre-calculated norm.  IIRC 3% deviation from OEM is about the limit.
KD

D.W.

This happened with stock tires, and when I went to a slightly wider rear, circumference may have changed with that but no more than a 1/4 inch if I recall  the "true" circumferences between a 130 and 150. Either way the system has long been gutted from my bike.  I think the real problem with the system is that it only is using one point of information to make its decisions, and it isn't really built with any kind of "performance" in mind. I'm sure the newer systems are a bit more advanced and perhaps better thought out. I still prefer no ABS regardless, maybe in the future I'll change my mind but as someone who learned to ride on the track I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Thermodyne

That light is controlled by the serial data buss, light green/violet trace.  You could break the circuit on the circuit board, but that might cause some other issue, like a serial data code.