April 17, 2024, 10:56:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wiring in handlebars

Started by IronButt70, October 11, 2019, 07:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

I'm trying to swap out the handlebars on my 2017 FLSTC. I cant' get the plugs to pass through the holes on the grip end to get the harnesses out. Is there some trick to this? Looks like the hole just aren't big enough.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Garry in AZ

You usually have to de-pin the plugs and then re-pin them after running the wires through the new bars.
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

IronButt70

Quote from: Garry in AZ on October 11, 2019, 07:28:19 AM
You usually have to de-pin the plugs and then re-pin them after running the wires through the new bars.
Thanks. Now I have to a tool to do that.

Billy

If they are the original bars, the plugs should pass through the holes in the bars with a little finesse.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

IronButt70

Quote from: Billy on October 12, 2019, 03:52:10 AM
If they are the original bars, the plugs should pass through the holes in the bars with a little finesse.
They are the originals. Guess I don't have any finesse. Tried several times to get them out and all I managed to do was partially mangle one of the plugs.  :banghead:

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Little spray silicone helps immensely to remove and install.
Tom

IronButt70

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on October 12, 2019, 08:06:37 AM
Little spray silicone helps immensely to remove and install.
Tried that. No luck. Did manage to skin the insulation off one of the wires.  :idunno:

Langwilliams

I dropped a ceiling fan chain through the bars with a long shoe string tied to it. I taped the wires to the shoestring an used it to pull them through no problem. the chain just added the weight to get the string through but the chain has too much resistance to pull the wires through.

IronButt70

Quote from: Langwilliams on October 13, 2019, 07:37:43 PM
I dropped a ceiling fan chain through the bars with a long shoe string tied to it. I taped the wires to the shoestring an used it to pull them through no problem. the chain just added the weight to get the string through but the chain has too much resistance to pull the wires through.
With or without the plugs on the wires. Once I depinned them the wires came out easily.

Hossamania

I feel your pain on the plugs and trying to pull them out without depinning them to save time. I have found that skipping a step to save time rarely does.
Good job on getting it done.
For any body doing bars, or any fishing of wires in the future, Klein makes a spray lube that looks like shaving cream, silicone based, that works like a dream. Comes with a long spray tube that you can insert to lube the bar or conduit well into the opening, leaves a dry film of silicone on the wires after install, doesn't gum up like traditional lubes do, doesn't stain. Works very well for those cool looking bars with the sharp bends in them that are nearly impossible to get a bundle of wires through.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

IronButt70

Quote from: Hossamania on October 14, 2019, 07:47:35 PM
I feel your pain on the plugs and trying to pull them out without depinning them to save time. I have found that skipping a step to save time rarely does.
Good job on getting it done.
For any body doing bars, or any fishing of wires in the future, Klein makes a spray lube that looks like shaving cream, silicone based, that works like a dream. Comes with a long spray tube that you can insert to lube the bar or conduit well into the opening, leaves a dry film of silicone on the wires after install, doesn't gum up like traditional lubes do, doesn't stain. Works very well for those cool looking bars with the sharp bends in them that are nearly impossible to get a bundle of wires through.
Thanks Hoss. Found a local store that carries it.  :smiled: