March 28, 2024, 04:30:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Venting fix?

Started by cmashark, February 26, 2019, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: Vision on March 10, 2019, 08:34:23 AM
Quote from: cheech on March 09, 2019, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: Billy on March 09, 2019, 02:49:03 PM

That water comes from moisture inside the engine drawn in through the head breathers, TR is plumbing the heads back to the oil tank and allowing the engine to breathe only through the vent back at the fender. The crankcase has to be vented to the atmosphere somewhere and it will allow moist air in condensing inside the engine. When the engine is at full operating temperature it will turn the water back into vapor and expel it back out the vent wherever it is.
By design the head breathers have the Umbrella valve which only allows crankcase pressure to be expelled, nothing drawn back in. If it is working as designed. At least on the twin cam. Which the video was shot on. Did a double take because though whoa isn't this in the M8 forum,.

The umbrella valves in the stock M8 breathers are not very good.  I've watched a builder first-hand show me how air can and will go in both directions.  The umbrella valves are flimsy and about the size of your pinky nail and not very reliable.  For that reason,  I use and external engine breather with a Hayden valve that will only allow air and oil/mist out...  The twin cam design is more solid from what I understand.  T-Man's to mods working together seem like a more set it and forget it solution with the exception of cleaning the catch can by the fender periodically.
Non sealing breathers can cause a whole shitload of problems. You'd think they could at least get them right. Not rocket science. If these things are indeed crap, rerouting the vent system to a good known one way valve(s) can have benifits. A leaky umbrella will cause a big fail in how the system should work.
Ron

yobtaf103

To save drilling, vented dipsticks coming to market by Fueling & A1 cycles

turboprop

Quote from: yobtaf103 on March 13, 2019, 09:43:52 AM

A1 Cycles is a reseller/distributor. The manufacture and brand is M3, totally different company.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: turboprop on March 13, 2019, 11:02:22 AM
Quote from: yobtaf103 on March 13, 2019, 09:43:52 AM

A1 Cycles is a reseller/distributor. The manufacture and brand is M3, totally different company.

Ed, you beat me to the punch. :up:
Mike Beland, A1 Cycles, has a unit the screws directly into the oil bag, and installation takes about 15 seconds.
We placed a nice order with Mike this morning.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

March 13, 2019, 11:58:40 AM #54 Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:15:15 PM by BUGLET
   JMO   I like T MANS  set up a lot better it looks a lot more professional and don't stick out like a sore thumb. Plus it wouldn't be that hard to put one together. How long can it take to drill and tap a hole.   

Hammerhandle

March 13, 2019, 04:14:59 PM #55 Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:30:48 PM by Hammerhandle
Quote from: yobtaf103 on March 13, 2019, 09:43:52 AMTo save drilling, vented dipsticks coming to market by Fueling & A1 cycles

I dont wanna sound like a dick, but that A1 (Mad Monkey) product solves a problem, while creating another. Thats not how making (or reselling) a product should work IMO.

So now i gotta bring the OE dipstick, and a rag if I wanna check my oil level on a trip, and hope that I dont forget it or lose it, nah thats ****in' amateur hour right there.  :wtf:

2019 Wicked Red Denim FLTRXS

Ken R

Quote from: Thermodyne on February 27, 2019, 10:19:31 AM
I'll stick with venting it from the breather bosses in the air cleaner backing plate.

Motors that are vented to the atmosphere stink.  I mean, they really have a foul odor after sitting in an enclosed garage or shop overnight.  Reminds me of my old 57 Chevy many decades ago.

FSG

turboprop

This product is manufactured by Mad Monkey Motorsports not A1 Cycles.

https://www.facebook.com/m3madmonkeymotorsports/

Hillside Motorcycle

Mike Beland sure as hell, is not "amateur" hour...... :hyst: :hyst:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

I see on his F B page it says it gains HP and runs cooler. I wonder how much power you gain and how much cooler it will run.

rbabos

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on March 14, 2019, 05:15:41 AM
Mike Beland sure as hell, is not "amateur" hour...... :hyst: :hyst:
True. Based on this and the trans transfer, that amateur hour title is best left to HD.
Ron

BVHOG

Quote from: Hammerhandle on March 13, 2019, 04:14:59 PM
Quote from: yobtaf103 on March 13, 2019, 09:43:52 AMTo save drilling, vented dipsticks coming to market by Fueling & A1 cycles

I dont wanna sound like a dick, but that A1 (Mad Monkey) product solves a problem, while creating another. Thats not how making (or reselling) a product should work IMO.

So now i gotta bring the OE dipstick, and a rag if I wanna check my oil level on a trip, and hope that I dont forget it or lose it, nah thats ****in' amateur hour right there.  :wtf:
I wouldn't go as far as to call it amateur hour but for 99 bucks I would think it could have a stick incorporated.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

rbabos

Quote from: BUGLET on March 14, 2019, 07:02:56 AM
  I see on his F B page it says it gains HP and runs cooler. I wonder how much power you gain and how much cooler it will run.
You dare question that claim? :hyst:
Ron

Mopower

rbabos

turboprop

Quote from: Mopower on March 14, 2019, 08:23:33 AM
Quote from: FSG on March 13, 2019, 08:03:35 PM
99 skins   :scratch:

Fueling = $279.00  :idunno:

The Fueling website does not show a picture of their offering. Have you seen the Fueling product?

Coyote

Hillside Motorcycle

$99 is the introductory price.
Those will be $129 as told.

Buglet

Does it come with a check valve and dip stick for $99.

turboprop

Quote from: Coyote on March 14, 2019, 10:04:06 AM
Quote from: turboprop on March 14, 2019, 09:57:33 AM
Have you seen the Fueling product?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrXTZvAWAk

Ok, so Fueling's is a bit more developed than the Mad Monkey unit. Appears to be three companies offering trans vent kits for the M8, each sort of different.

TR Performance - Requires drilling. Retains OEM dipstick. Does not have a one-way valve. $-???
Mad Monkey (M3) - Does not require drilling. No dipstick functionality. Does not have a one-way valve. $129
Fueling - Does not require drilling. Retains OEM like dipstick. Has a one-way valve. $279

Is this it or is there something else?

If I had an M8 powered bike and thought this was needed, I would probably opt for the Fueling stuff as the price difference between the M3 and the Fueling unit is really minimal in the grand scheme of these this. Having a dipstick and not having to drill are huge. The value of the one-way valve could be a subject for extensive debate.

FSG

FSG

if I was needing one of these things I think I'd make my own,
actually what I'd made is a screw in bush that went away to a vent/filter
and allowed the OEM Dipstick to screw back into it
I'd also lengthen the OEM Dipstick so that it would still read correct

NOTE: I also cut the dipsticks on the 5 speeds   :SM:

Buglet

If you take a close look at T MAN'S line it looks like he has a valve in there, half way up the line.

Hillside Motorcycle

All but 1 point of purchase display model we had ordered, for the retail counter, are already sold.