March 29, 2024, 08:09:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust for 88” s&s in 87 tourglide

Started by Cvo15Glide, September 16, 2019, 08:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cvo15Glide

So I'm putting a s&s 88 evo engine in my 1987 tourglide.
The problem I'm trying to solve is the s&s has. 1 3/4 exhaust ports
So my old evo exhaust is 1 1/2.  Any Ideas for a 2 int 1 exhausts that would fit the newer engine in the old bike?

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

rigidthumper

Um- the exhaust gasket from 84 and newer big twins is the same part number, so any evo exhaust should fit/work. I like Supertrap for quiet, tunable, touring applications
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Burnout

September 17, 2019, 08:20:00 AM #3 Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:30:51 AM by Burnout
Be carefull in the exhaust tubing zone.

Exhaust tubing is measured by the OD not the ID.

If you can find an old White Bros pipe they were very good.
A Thunderheader with the long rear cylinder header pipe would be my next pick.
A Supertrapp with the long rear cylinder header pipe is also a very good performer.
The long rear cylinder header pipe makes a huge difference in low speed torque, smoothness, and idle quality.
The long rear cylinder pipe can be identified by its routing forward and then around the cone, down and back with the merge behind the trans.
This design is the most effective even though the pipes are not equal length, a short rear cylinder pipe is too short and kills power.
Many dislike this design because of heat and pushrod access and looks of course, but nothing works as well.

Most all of the other 2:1 pipes have compromises, short header pipes, large merges instead of a venturi, no cone to gradually slow the gases.
Be carefull of the primary tube diameters, a fat primary tube kills exhaust velocity and "free" scavenging energy is lost.
Also be carefull of short pipes they kill torque and low speed operation gets radical, easy to stall and misfires, harder starting.

Home made for big bore stroker motor

EVO Supertrapp converted for high compression Ironhead

Thunderheader for Dyna model on a stock FXR
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"