March 28, 2024, 10:20:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question PowerVision versus power commander versus thunder max

Started by jagonza1, October 23, 2018, 09:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagonza1

Question PowerVision versus power commander versus thunder max.
So I am questioning which way to go if anybody could give me their take on it I would like to add oxygen sensors to my 2003 road glide that's been upgraded to 103 with performance has 50 mm throttlebody S&S exhaust system. So does anybody have any opinions I have is a power commander three but it was not able to net motor the last time there were issues on the low-end and I had a race tuner but Harley did enough play upload that ruined my my race tuner  my road ride has been to the dealer on the Dino at least six times and that particular area does not seem to clean up at all. It runs horribly rough around 2000 RPMs and it's got a bad spot around 3000 RPMs also they can't tune it out so I'm thinking it's time for either a power vision with an oxygen sensor or a power commander five with oxygen sensors or maybe the thunder max assist them. Does anybody have an opinion on this? I've heard  that the power commander's may may become a thing of the past now the power vision is there but I don't know. So any help that you can give I greatly appreciate
Thanks
John A. Gonzales
John A. Gonzales

rbabos

The issue is not so much what product but who tuned it. This ill running in that area can be had with any of the tuner products mentioned. Just going to O2 sensors won't solve it. A new person can, even with your existing equipment. Having a bad spot at 3k, now that's pretty sad when it comes to tuning.
Ron

Barrett

I would take a look at the local dyno tuners in your area and see what they use.
I have a T Max and like it but there isn't a dyno operator near me that will work with it.

jagonza1

Dealerships near me don't like anything but direct link and the street tuner. The other two dynos in New Mexico like V&h and power commander v but they don't appear to be as good as say speeds or some of the shops on this forum. I'm not looking to be outrageous in hp just want it to run rigjt
John A. Gonzales

HD/Wrench

Well If you want to do it yourself the  tmax might work With that said its not just install it load map go ride . That is just not how it works .  I am sure it will run but I am also sure that you will have a ton of questions and tech help on the older bikes base maps may prove to be a bit more difficult that you think .

To be honest I would tell you to leave the stock ECM in the bike install a good tuning device TTS or PV load the bike up and drive the needed amount of hours to have it correctly tuned .

I do not feel you need to add an 02 sensor .  Unless you have the sensor properly located you may just end up creating one more issue for your self there as well  head pipe with 18 MM bungs well some are in the right location and some are not .

Just my 2 cents 

jagonza1

Well thank you I appreciate that I have been lately leaning more towards the power vision but I kind of thought maybe the O2 sensors might be the way to go the S&S pipes have the 18 mm bones mounted in about the same location as they would be on the stock stock pipes on a newer model so I'm hoping that would be the right location I'm not dead sure I need to talk some more. Thank you once again.
John A. Gonzales

aswracing

A vote here for the Powervision + Autotune Pro kit.

The Autotune Pro kit includes a pair of wideband sensors and it does a good job. The Powervision's display lets you initiate logging, monitor the logging process while you're riding, and generate & apply the resulting tune without ever hooking up to a PC or laptop. It's just a few few taps of the screen, it greatly simplifies the whole log tuning process.

Plus, having the PV's display unit opens up a whole ton of features should you decide to leave it attached to your bike. Everything from reading and clearing codes to trip computers to configurable gauges that allow you to monitor practically anything going on with your EFI. It's really a remarkable device.

jagonza1

Well thanks very much I'm kind of leaning towards the power Vision myself it just seems simple I'm just afraid of having to lift my tank right now since I got the new LEDs attached to the attached to the bottom of the tank but yeah I'm feeling feeling like the power Vision might be the way to go
John A. Gonzales