April 24, 2024, 09:15:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS question, please.

Started by Paniolo, October 27, 2018, 04:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

Tomorrow I plan on using the flight recorder with the hopes of catching spark knock so it can be tuned out. I plan to ride inland where hopefully temps will be in the 80s and up inclines.

I understand that when hooking up the dongle, as soon as you turn the ignition on, it begins a new recording session. My questions are:

1. Does it save all previous recordings?
2. If so how many recordings will it save?
3. Does it record on clock time? In other words, if I get spark knock at 12:45pm, can I tell the tuner, "go to 12:45pm and you will see the knock"?

Any other suggestions are great.

Mark
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

rigidthumper

1.  Yes, within reason. Flight recorder can store up to 10 hours of data. 
2.  The limits are time, not # of recordings.
3.  Yes- it also shows all the other data, so you can see RPM/TP/VE/etc to isolate whether it's too much advance, too little fuel, whatever.
looks like this:

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

1FSTRK

The nice thing with TTS is you can stop and start multiple times and it will keep adding new recordings,
then just load them all and look at the whole ride. An easy way to local knock quickly when looking at
the file is to select only Knock retard to be graphed, once you have located some then add the other things
like MAP and RPM to the graph.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Paniolo

Well guys thanks for all the detailed help. I wish i could say it helped, but I just couldn't get the bike to knock yesterday. The outside temps were too cool. Even splitting lanes on the 101 made no difference. I might have to wait for next year when the temps climb up again. Hopefully there will be a hot spell coming up.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

PoorUB

Mark, once you set up the TTS dongle to record it clears out any earlier recordings. As far was time it really doesn't matter, just run through the recording and look for spark retard, it will be obvious. You need to select what parameters you wish to see on the chart. After you do a run you can open it in Datamaster and in the lower right click on on of the points of data and awindow will pop up and you can select front retard, or rear retard.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!