March 29, 2024, 08:28:13 AM

News:

Cam install help

Started by beasleyiv, February 20, 2019, 01:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beasleyiv

465C cam, Larry's 842SE lifters, SE adjustable pushrods, 2017 FLTRXS.  Did cams on my twin cam without issues before, so this was a familiar install. 

Put it all together, adjusted rods according to SE instructions, 2.5 turns. Spun the motor over on the starter (w/o spark plugs) to get some oil flowing.  Fired it up and have loud ticking up top that doesn't go away.  Tore it back down at the rods, confirmed oil flow up through rods, adjustment seemed fine. 

Is the 2.5 turns per the SE instructions not deep enough in the lifters?  I really don't want to go through the top and pull all that damn oil line off, that was the whole point of adjustable PRs. 

Any thoughts?

Billy

Are you sure the cam was on the base circle when you adjusted the pushrods?
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

beasleyiv

Pretty sure. I'll be going over them again though.

beasleyiv

Update, I tore it all down, back into the cam chest.  Forgot to mention I had also installed the latest HD oil pump, and the backing plate with the rubber seal.  Previously when I ran the bike and had the noise, I ran it upright on the bike lift and shut it down after 30 seconds or so.  Oil pressure idiot light said 'ok' during that run. 

When I took the cam chest cover off today, a lot of oil poured out of the chest.  The oil level was well above the bottom of the cam plate.  There was oil inside the gerotors on both the crankcase scavenge and on the pickup side.  There was oil on the critical surfaces, but it's not like there was oil all over everything in there.  Maybe that's normal.  Everything appears ok.  Not much difference in the pumps, maybe I'll just put the original back in.  I don't understand why the new pump would be an issue.

cmashark

2021 FLHXSE

beasleyiv

Nope. Both installed  from the S&S kit.

hogsty

Quote from: Billy on February 20, 2019, 03:05:49 PM
Are you sure the cam was on the base circle when you adjusted the pushrods?

For those who don't speak cam-enese, this means BDC for each piston?

That's a question, not a statement.

rigidthumper

Piston @ TDC during the compression stroke for that specific cylinder guarantees the lifters are on the cam base circle.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

codyshop

I had the exact same issue putting in a 475C and called S&S.  I was told the M8 oil pump tends to cavitate and will have lifter noise a little longer than previous HD engines each time it's taken apart.   It went away after ten minutes.   Ten long minutes.   

PoorUB

How long did you have it running? I have had twin Cams that took 10-15 minutes of running to quiet down. Once in a while they don't quiet down until I roll them out of the shop and go for a quick ride. It is a bit unnerving, but you just need to give it some time.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

beasleyiv

The other important point I failed to mention, I didn't prime the lifters.  This time I injected and soaked them and put it all back together again.  Fired it up and zero noise from the very start.  I'm a dumbass, the noise probably would have gone away eventually on the first time around once the air got out of the lifters but I panicked.  Lesson learned. 

Thanks for all the input!  :up:

Harley Pilot

Quote from: beasleyiv on February 23, 2019, 10:36:42 AM
The other important point I failed to mention, I didn't prime the lifters.  This time I injected and soaked them and put it all back together again.  Fired it up and zero noise from the very start.  I'm a dumbass, the noise probably would have gone away eventually on the first time around once the air got out of the lifters but I panicked.  Lesson learned. 

Doesn't make you dumb, it's called a learning curve for a reason!😉

IronButt70

Quote from: beasleyiv on February 23, 2019, 10:36:42 AM

I just did my first ever cam swap on a TC and the same thing happened to me. I even jumped the starter with the spark plugs out and cranked the engine until the gauge showed 20 PSI oil pressure and there was still noise after starting it up. I pulled the cam cover off to double check the snap ring and everything looked good. When I fired it up the second time the noise ticking was much quieter. After a short ride no more tick.  :baby:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Bpeer1

Just rebuilt cam chest on 08 FLHS with 60k miles. Replaced pushrods, tensioner shoes and lifters. Cams, chains, tensioners looked good. If I knew what it looked like in there I would not have taken it apart. Always change oil regularly and use Harley 20w-50 regular oil. I filled each new lifter with oil from an oil squirt can through the hole in the side. Pulled plugs and turned engine over a few times. Got no oil pressure but started anyway. Completely quiet when it started.