March 28, 2024, 02:41:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary oil

Started by DresserDan, June 12, 2019, 05:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DresserDan

My buddy just had his Shovel primary changed over to wet. He is using the stock clutch. I know these clutch's are what they call wet/dry. So what weight of oil should he be using with this clutch? Or does he need to get some plates made for wet in a shovel?

Ohio HD

I'd just run enough ATF to cover touch the ring gear with the bike upright, assuming it's electric start. I'd try running what's in it, see how it holds up. There are some decent Kevlar clutch plates that will work well wet or dry.

guppymech

I've been using 8 oz. of ATF type F, it works good with the Alto Red Eagle friction plates in my clutch.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

JW113

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Mule

I use 15 oz of B&M trick shift in the primary, with a Rivera pro clutch.

Hossamania

Quote from: Mule on June 13, 2019, 10:26:38 AM
I use 15 oz of B&M trick shift in the primary, with a Rivera pro clutch.

I've used Trick Shift before, but it's not always readily available (I'm not an Amazon order guy, I'm more spontaneous when it comes to service), so I mostly run cheap O'Reilly's ATF with my pro clutch.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Mule

B&M trick shift is available at my O'reilly's  off the shelf, auto zone as well...?

Hossamania

My local doesn't always have it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

After I isolated the shovel primary I ran ATF for the stock clutch.  Later I put in a Rivera pro and threw anything at it, even the 10W60 Liquid Moly.  It's been strictly Redline MTL for a long time. Same for the primary in my 12 EG.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

KatalogKarl

Have not tried moly yet? Most Fiber mfg#s state not to use any moly products? In my experience when using stock plates regular primary or (20w) was used. Went over to Barnett's Kevlar clutches and ran them both ways (dry and wet) over the years. But having a issue with clutch plates slipping/glazing after a season led me to think otherwise. All adjustments correct but when looking at clutch plates it was like fibers held oil. Years ago sanded a bit and baked the plates to try to get rid of oil and reuse plates. Changed disc fiber brands and like many here ATF Ford seems to bet its best match. Cheap too.

RTMike

B&M Quick shift is the best,I'm trying Beltayray 75 gear saver so far real good