April 24, 2024, 04:06:34 PM

News:

New Starter runs backwards

Started by 50Panhead, September 07, 2019, 09:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Panhead

Working on a 81 shovel head. Old starter shot craps. Ordered a new one and put it on. Simple yes?
Now it acted like the  starter clutch was bad and spinning. Turns out the New Starter is running backwards.

Anyone else came across this?

Going to send the starter back.  :angry:
What Do You Care What Other People Think

dirtymike

I've replaced alot of starters but never seen one run backwards. What brand is it.

Burnout

Brushes or field connected backwards.....

Reverse one of them and it will spin the right direction.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Mule

Most starter motors are series wound, which means reversing the connections reverses the field in both stator & rotor, resulting in no change of direction.

PoorUB

Is it possible you connected the battery backwards, or the battery is charged backwards?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

76shuvlinoff

You could probably fix it but I'd return it. Put a wrench to it and there's no going back. I might be worried about the next one coming from the same supplier though. Bench test it first.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

72fl

I would try to return it, but don't be surprised if they don't say " there's no return's on electrical parts" :idunno:

kd

Quote from: Burnout on September 07, 2019, 10:41:29 AM
Brushes or field connected backwards.....

Reverse one of them and it will spin the right direction.

^^^ this ^^^ 
KD

50Panhead

Brand is Drag Specialty. Bought through Local Harley Dealer.
I called them this morning and they said they had the same problem before with Drag Specialty starters.
they told me to bring it back and they would send it to a shop in town for it to be rewired.

By the Way I hold a Amateur Radio License also along with a BS degree in Math and Physics.

I know Positive and Negative.

Thanks everyone. Just beware Drag Specialty has a problem with their Starters.
What Do You Care What Other People Think

PoorUB

Quote from: 50Panhead on September 09, 2019, 09:18:31 AM

By the Way I hold a Amateur Radio License also along with a BS degree in Math and Physics.

I know Positive and Negative.

That is usually the guys the screw up, the guys that know better!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!