March 28, 2024, 04:23:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Idle Issue

Started by fleetmechanic, July 23, 2021, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

We bought a 2017 FLHTP that only had 1,300 miles on it and had been returned to a dealer since the purchasing officer decided not to pursue motors. Several of our riders have tried it including myself and it now probably has about 1,700 miles on it.
Yesterday, one of the riders was on a funeral with it and it quit when he stopped to control an intersection.  He said it wouldn't turn over or do anything until he pushed it to the side and waited awhile, then started OK.  Thought maybe it was the kickstand switch? Today I got called out to go help on a service and thought I would take that one to check the problem.  Topped off the fuel started it up cold and noticed that the idle was 1500rpm+ and didn't drop down unless the throttle was turned back past the stop position.
Took it outside running and noticed the idle was surging between about 1200-1600rpm. So I took a twincam.  Are there M8 quirks that we should be learning about?  I'll check for codes tomorrow.  A couple of years ago we bought a 2010 that had been parked for a couple of years and all the soft parts for the fuel system had rotted in the tank.  I'll look inside this one, too.

rigidthumper

Maybe the throttle was rolled forward when the kill switch was hit? If so, same reset procedure since 2008.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fleetmechanic

I remember having to do this on some of our '08s.  Was the drill just to cycle the ignition switch on and off about 5 times?

rigidthumper

Yes, with the run/stop switch in the run position, twist grip at it's neutral position.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fleetmechanic

That seems to have fixed it for now.  The cold idle starting up is about 1200 and will probably drop once it warms up.  I remember now that when the TBW throttles came out in '08 that we told the riders to use the ignition switch for routine shutoffs and save the kill switch for emergencies to avoid this problem.