March 29, 2024, 01:59:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin Cam Oil Filters

Started by twincam8888, July 21, 2019, 03:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincam8888

I service a lot of bikes for friends and friends of friends. I have been using the Custom Chrome Motor Factory oil filters but they are getting hard to find. Anybody have suggestions on a good aftermarket filter that costs less Harley's filter or is it time to start spending the $15 bucks for Harley's filter.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Ohio HD

I use WIX 57148 or S&S 31-4103. I've heard the S&S is made by Wix, but I don't know that to be true or not. I'd price around on them, but they can be had for less than $15 each. I bought the S&S in a case quantity, so the price was decent.

borno

I use the wix also and get them from rock auto $6.77 for the 57148 (black) :up:

Tail Ridr

I have been using the WIX filter, but find it to be too small in diameter for the Harley filter wrench.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Norton Commando

Quote from: Tail Ridr on July 22, 2019, 03:11:00 AM
I have been using the WIX filter, but find it to be too small in diameter for the Harley filter wrench.

I too use Wix, and bought a filter wrench at the auto-parts store, I forgot which store, that fits it perfectly.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

kcbike

Hiflo filtro black MSRP is $7.75 chrome $10.40 with 17MM nut

calif phil

The S&S is made by Wix and in the USA.   I like them and especially the very slightly smaller can outside diameter makes for easier on and off. 

koko3052

Quote from: borno on July 22, 2019, 02:10:45 AM

That's where I got mine from too, but don't really appreciate the "WIX" sticker on them that always seems to turn to the front where it's so visble. :emsad:

twincam8888

But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Hossamania

Quote from: koko3052 on July 22, 2019, 07:09:09 AM

That's where I got mine from too, but don't really appreciate the "WIX" sticker on them that always seems to turn to the front where it's so visble. :emsad:

Rough it up a bit and paint it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

hattitude

Quote from: kcbike on July 22, 2019, 04:49:34 AM

Hiflo filtro black MSRP is $7.75 chrome $10.40 with 17MM nut

I've been using the chrome Hiflo Filtro race filters, with the 17mm nut and "high performance tri-fiber filtration media",  #HF171CRC.

It is my understanding that Hiflo Filtro, while made in Thailand, is one of the few TUV approved motorcycle filters. They have been making OEM filters since the early 60's. They used to make the K&N filters, the original K&N filters with the nut on the end, prior to 2012ish, when K&N started having their oil filters made in Korea..

They seem to be made well, and I can get them on Amazon for about $11.00 each...

If I need one in a pinch, I go with WIX, but I've grown to like the convenience of that stupid nut on the end of the filter...

black

Well some on here don't like this company   But I use their brake pads(never a problem) and the oil filters are 3 for $18.99 with nut on filter D2Moto
send  lawyers guns and money

koko3052

Quote from: Hossamania on July 22, 2019, 07:54:22 AM

Rough it up a bit and paint it.

Then it ends up costing as much as brand X. OH WAIT!....maybe I can fashion a polished SS cover that snaps on & sell them for $39.95 and make my fortune?? :smiled: :scratch:

road-dawgs1

I use the Wix and can successfully peel off the sticker.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Dan89flstc

Quote from: koko3052 on July 22, 2019, 12:59:12 PM
  OH WAIT!....maybe I can fashion a polished SS cover that snaps on & sell them for $39.95 and make my fortune?? :smiled: :scratch:

Just put fins on it and claim it cools the oil, the customers will be pounding on your door... :potstir:
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Mirrmu

I run the filters out to double the recommended miles/kms but change oil at correct interval.

These filters can easily do that, 2 oil change per 1 filter

HarleyHiwayMan

Quote from: Mirrmu on July 22, 2019, 03:41:53 PM
I run the filters out to double the recommended miles/kms but change oil at correct interval.

I used to do that with my pickup, but not for several years now.
Filters are cheap, less then the price of a 4 gallon fuel fill up. The Custom Chrome can be bought off eBay.
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

FXDBI

I bought a K&P reusable 10 years ago never thought about filters again.   Bob

Norton Commando

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on July 22, 2019, 01:50:24 PM

I use the Wix and can successfully peel off the sticker.

Is the WIX label really that obtrusive?

Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

smoserx1

QuoteI run the filters out to double the recommended miles/kms but change oil at correct interval.

Sorry but I disagree with that logic.  If the filter gets too dirty it will by-pass and I don't know any way to tell if that happens.  I would be more inclined to go double the mileage on the oil and replace the filter half way, but I will keep doing 5000 mile intervals for both.

Ohio HD

Quote from: smoserx1 on July 22, 2019, 05:58:01 PM

Sorry but I disagree with that logic.  If the filter gets too dirty it will by-pass and I don't know any way to tell if that happens.  I would be more inclined to go double the mileage on the oil and replace the filter half way, but I will keep doing 5000 mile intervals for both.

:up:

Mirrmu

Great, yeah I do it for cars and bikes. No way a filter is at its expire date after 5000miles

FXDBI

Quote from: Mirrmu on July 22, 2019, 07:10:27 PM
Great, yeah I do it for cars and bikes. No way a filter is at its expire date after 5000miles

That's arse backwards keep the dirt and change the oil. 40+ years has a industrial millwright an that's a new one on me. The big turbines using thousands of gallons of oil with just filter changes for years on end must have it all wrong then.  Bob

Mirrmu

Cool, do it how you like

Cars and bike going fine

Scotty

Buy a $20,000 bike and bitch about $20 oil filters.
Go figure  :fish: