April 18, 2024, 04:54:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl H.

Quote from: HOGMIKE on March 24, 2019, 06:54:44 PM
Very hard to see with the heat shield in place

This is the position of the vent hose bore imho

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

hd06

Bigs

I hope the vent works since I put one on my '17RK. I drilled and taped a 1/8 pipe thread and then screwed in the fitting.
   Bigs
[attach=0]
[attach=0]
[attach=0]
[attach=0]

Bigs

Don't know what happened. I put in 4 different pics.
   Bigs

hdrider

Where did you run the hose to?  And did you have enough room to tap the pipe thread without taking off the inner primary?

I'm assuming you had a transfer issue - let us know if it eliminated the issue.

Bigs

I ran the hose back and up along the frame and then down with some old foam filter on the end. This is a picture of where I drilled and tapped.
   Bigs [attach=0]

Bigs

Here's a picture of the fitting - a 1/8 close nipple, 90 el and 1/8 barbed fitting.
   Bigs [attach=0]

HogMike

Either before or after the starter hole, works the same to relieve the vacuum.
The factory fix is a lot harder to see, and it's got a little molded (shoe) to keep it from rotating and plug the hole.
I'm satisfied with the factory fix at this point, as I  got to put some miles on the bike and checked tonight, still have oil on my dipstick. That's a first for this bike, I just may keep it!!
If you paint the brass fittings black they blend right in.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

rudi_ufg

@hogmike: is it a really factory fix, done by your dealer or is it a dealer fix?

HogMike

Quote from: rudi_ufg on March 27, 2019, 03:24:37 AM
@hogmike: is it a really factory fix, done by your dealer or is it a dealer fix?

There is a TA about this issue with a procedure to check oil levels. The TA list of bikes that MAY be affected goes back a couple years.

The dealer calls the factory after following the test and check.
If it's determined that the oil transfer is "excessive" a factory tech will do the fix at the dealership.
This will keep a paper trail and warranty in place.

The root cause of the problem has not been made public yet, but I'll guess the factory is trying to figure out the cheapest way to fix it.
The various fixes on the web all seem to work in one way or another but none are "factory approved " and MAY void your warranty if there's a problem.

This information is what I've learned from our service manager, GM, factory tech and lead tech from history on some of the bikes that the TA references at the local dealership.

JMHO of course.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

oldbag

Quote from: HOGMIKE on March 21, 2019, 04:51:14 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on March 19, 2019, 04:47:40 PM
I always thought that venting the primary through the main shaft into the transmission was a strange way. Why not seal the main shaft to the pushrod and vent the primary.

Would seem logical to me also but for now we'll see if the cheap fix works.
:nix:

looks like harley has these hoses in production for this application...
2019 FLHXS
there is nothing like a good tune...

IronButt70

Quote from: Bigs on March 26, 2019, 06:29:00 PM
Here's a picture of the fitting - a 1/8 close nipple, 90 el and 1/8 barbed fitting.
   Bigs [attach=0,msg1289202]
A straight 90 el 1/8th barbed fitting would eliminate the need for a close nipple and 90 el or is there not enough distance from the case for that.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

hdrider

If Harley has a vent hose in production for this application,  does anyone have a part number or a way to order this?

oldbag

Maddo Snr I hope you are still reading. Thank you...with the vent and slotting my side cover I have no more transfer. Also I got a AIM...wow what a difference it makes...i appreciate the help. It's a pretty good bike now.
2019 FLHXS

HogMike

Quote from: oldbag on March 27, 2019, 01:38:26 PM
Maddo Snr I hope you are still reading. Thank you...with the vent and slotting my side cover I have no more transfer. Also I got a AIM...wow what a difference it makes...i appreciate the help. It's a pretty good bike now.

I agree
AIM is on my list also
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Quote from: hdrider on March 27, 2019, 10:08:00 AM
If Harley has a vent hose in production for this application,  does anyone have a part number or a way to order this
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Quote from: hdrider on March 27, 2019, 10:08:00 AM
If Harley has a vent hose in production for this application,  does anyone have a part number or a way to order this?

I don't believe that part is in production at this time
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Maddo Snr

You're welcome OB. We're up to 11 bikes done now. Milled cover, AIM, vent.

Cured every one of them.

Until such time as it doesn't work I'm not thinking about the issue any more.
We're lucky here in Australia, to void warranty the MoCo would need to prove in a court of law that the mod caused a failure. With the MoCo's track record they'd be struggling to prove the Earth is round.

Applying ourselves to sumping now, made some neat discoveries there too.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

oldbag

Quote from: Maddo Snr on March 27, 2019, 04:23:59 PM

Cured every one of them.

We're lucky here in Australia, to void warranty the MoCo would need to prove in a court of law that the mod caused a failure. With the MoCo's track record they'd be struggling to prove the Earth is round.

does MoCo have a warranty?!?! I thought they were sold as is!
2019 FLHXS

HogMike

March 27, 2019, 06:29:12 PM #1394 Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:49:03 PM by HOGMIKE
There is a 2 year unlimited mile warranty from bumper to bumper.
All inclusive unless.....

You start the engine or sit on the bike or move it more than 1 foot then the warranty is void.

:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Ozbob

Quote from: Maddo Snr on March 27, 2019, 04:23:59 PM

Cured every one of them.

Give it up cobber, you been eyeballin them lifter bores, I seen some picx n vids showing bad machining and excessive oil flow back to lifter blocks.
Do tell what's happening in your neck of the woods

Maddo Snr

Quote from: HOGMIKE on March 26, 2019, 07:18:01 PM

Vac, yes. But not oil-mist Mike.

If installed at the rearward side of the starter pinion, that section of the primary cover is loaded with oil picked up by the clutch basket and it mists a fair swag of oil out of the breather. If the vent is in front of the pinion that part of the primary cover is much drier and a smaller vent diameter can be used.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

HogMike

March 29, 2019, 03:36:38 PM #1397 Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:42:50 PM by HOGMIKE
Quote from: Maddo Snr on March 29, 2019, 03:07:05 PM
Quote from: HOGMIKE on March 26, 2019, 07:18:01 PM

Vac, yes. But not oil-mist Mike.

If installed at the rearward side of the starter pinion, that section of the primary cover is loaded with oil picked up by the clutch basket and it mists a fair swag of oil out of the breather. If the vent is in front of the pinion that part of the primary cover is much drier and a smaller vent diameter can be used.

I understand, never thought of the rotating mass with the oil flinging everywhere.
I'm doing a long ride tomorrow, some hiway some mountain roads and everything in between. I'll be curious if there's ANY signs of oil discharge at the hose opening.
You would think that if there WAS an excessive oil mist coming out the breather, it would coat the drive belt and surrounding area. I thought of that at the install that the hose had a loop back downwards right near the drive belt.
Since there is the vacuum (I'm told mine was excessive, whatever that means) I'm thinking any mist or vapor would be sucked in, not discharged.
I haven't any feedback from the others out here that had the same factory fix.

We shall see.  :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

One other thing: I'm not sure we have the same definition of "swag"
We may have a different meaning here!
:SM:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hilly13

Quote from: HOGMIKE on March 29, 2019, 04:17:58 PM
One other thing: I'm not sure we have the same definition of "swag"
We may have a different meaning here!
:SM:

Oz slang for a fair bit, it's also roll up camp bedding, what's it mean over there?
Just because its said don't make it so