April 26, 2024, 03:35:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Riding Boots

Started by hd06, December 24, 2018, 05:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skunk

February 24, 2019, 05:14:10 AM #75 Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:20:43 AM by skunk
Quote from: smoserx1 on February 24, 2019, 04:28:39 AM
How many of you folks who insist on wearing boots for safety reasons (and that is good IMO) will ride without a helmet?

Thats me, but then again I only wear boots. Might catch me on the treadmill in sneakers or flip flops going to the pool, other than that it's boots. I will be wearing one full time at retirement (14m 2wks) in Tennessee.

PoorUB

How many of you folks who insist on wearing boots for safety reasons (and that is good IMO) will ride without a helmet?

I will once in a while, not very often! A quick run the the hardware store is about the only time I go without a brain bucket.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rhuff

I wear a FF.  And reinforced boots.

That being said, I've ridden for 15 plus years and I am only in year 3 of wearing a helmet.  I like to think (I knew) I was an idiot for those first years.

Hossamania

I wear boots for safety, but also, and mainly, for the support they give me when stopping and moving the bike. I wear them for the function. Like Skunk, I wear boots 99% of the time, at work, casual wear, even church when I go.
I mostly ride without a helmet, though I'm getting better about using it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

It never fails, if I wear low top shoes, tennis shoes, I end up banging my ankles and/or scraping my ankles on foot boards or burning myself hot exhaust. Probably the biggest reason I wear boots.

My head? Rarely hit it on anything while riding so I could skip the helmet! :potstir: :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1workinman

Quote from: skunk on February 24, 2019, 05:14:10 AM

Thats me, but then again I only wear boots. Might catch me on the treadmill in sneakers or flip flops going to the pool, other than that it's boots. I will be wearing one full time at retirement (14m 2wks) in Tennessee.
:agree:

guppymech

Quote from: Paniolo on December 28, 2018, 08:33:43 AM
I know I asked earlier, but has anyone tried Corcoran boots? They make a set that is military and LEO grade. I'm looking for something that is long day wear with support and traction.  When riding cross country I like to stop at national parks and hike a bit. I'm not a big fan of the mesh outer and soft rubber soles. I prefer leather with a Vibram sole.
My brother gave me two sets of Corcoran/Matterhorn 10" boots.  They're very well built and have Vibram lug soles but they're kinda stiff for shifting the bike and with thinsulate lining they get hot.
I have some Chippewa Engineer boots but I hardly wear them for fear of them flying off in a crash.  A while back I got cocky with my ability to start my kick only FXE and went out in my Chuck Taylors, well wouldn't you know she acted up and my foot took a beating.  My go to boots are lace up unlined Red Wings that I've retired from my work.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

dogger

16 in. Wesco engineer boots, chaps, and a speedo.

calbyker69

Have been wearing "Original Swat" boots for 20 years now. Lightweight and functional. Learned a long time ago that most "riding" boots are awful "walking" boots. Have a pair of Danner insulated boots for cold weather. Just picked up a pair of Rocky Postal approved boots. Will see how they do this year.

Malazan

Got a pair of these, really nice

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AXDPRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the fact that I can lace them and not touch the laces again,just 7se the zippers to get in and out

Tynker

One of my riding buddy's bought a pair of those exact boots, before we left for a Texas hill country last year. Halfway through our trip, the left boot sole came unglued. We stopped at Walmart in Ft. Stockton and got some Gorilla superglue, and glued them back up. He rides with them all the time ,and they have never came unglued again.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

dirty jim

Quote from: calbyker69 on March 03, 2019, 10:40:12 AM
Have been wearing "Original Swat" boots for 20 years now. Lightweight and functional. Learned a long time ago that most "riding" boots are awful "walking" boots. Have a pair of Danner insulated boots for cold weather. Just picked up a pair of Rocky Postal approved boots. Will see how they do this year.

Just bought a pair at a local bike show, so far I love 'em.

smoserx1

I got a couple of pairs of Red Wings booth I took with me when I retired.  One pair is a pull on style and the other a lineman style lace-up (both steel toes).  One of the lace up shoes had some stitching that had come undone and had not been used for years so I took that one defective shoe and had it sewed up for 20 bucks.  I have started wearing the lace-ups all the time (this thread got me thinking) and I believe I like them the best.  One of the most uncomfortable pairs of boots I ever owned was a Harley-Davidson branded pair.  It is like they never broke in.

hattitude

Quote from: PoorUB on February 24, 2019, 12:23:49 PM
It never fails, if I wear low top shoes, tennis shoes, I end up banging my ankles and/or scraping my ankles on foot boards or burning myself hot exhaust. Probably the biggest reason I wear boots.

My head? Rarely hit it on anything while riding so I could skip the helmet! :potstir: :hyst:

Been riding since the '70s and have had the same experience.....

My feet, ankles, and shins have been hit by road debris, sliced by bike parts, and even an occasional burn by an exhaust.....

Other than taking one of those huge bumble bees to the forehead many years ago, my head has not been hit/bumped/scraped by anything.....

So yeah, I always wear boots, but only wear a helmet when the law requires....

To many I'm sure I look as ridiculous as those who wear a full face helmet with shorts and sneakers look to me.....