March 28, 2024, 10:50:32 AM

News:

Polishing the blacked out parts???

Started by sandrooney, February 10, 2019, 08:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

What is best way to polish the blacked out  motor parts on my 18 Heritage? I assume it powder coat.
Thanks
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

PoorUB

What are you trying to do? Remove the black, or just get it looking new again? S100 has a spray on product to get the black looking new.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

sandrooney

Just trying to shine up the black, not trying to remove it.. I will try both.
Thanks a lot
SR

phillyfan

Polishing powder coat is not impossible, but difficult to get any blemishes out. When I do customers bikes with powder coated black parts I use a all purpose cleaner thats safe for powder coating, Backfire, Poorboys, many others. Use a Boars hair brush to agitate  and rinse thoroughly.
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

Skin

Bug Slide works well, we used it at the Dealership to detail bikes.

phillyfan

Polishing involves using abrasives, reason I said polishing PC can be done but is very difficult to really get any blemishes out.
The pig stuff does not contain any abrasives so really no polishing going on there. Might clean and maybe, but highly doubt it, fill some small imperfections.
Too much $$ into audio

guppymech

Quote from: sandrooney on February 10, 2019, 03:37:59 PM
Thanks a lot
SR
Spray the black engine parts with Armor All and spread it around with a acid brush or similar, don't wipe it off, let it soak in. 
'84 FXE, '02 883R

sandrooney

phillyfan

Quote from: guppymech on February 12, 2019, 07:38:40 PM
Thanks a lot
SR
Spray the black engine parts with Armor All and spread it around with a acid brush or similar, don't wipe it off, let it soak in.

What??? AA is not going to smack into powder coat. It will burn off as soon as the engine gets warm
Please don't do this
Too much $$ into audio

dynabagger

S100 engine brightener. Silicone lubricant works too just not as good as S100.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

guppymech

Quote from: phillyfan on February 13, 2019, 09:44:01 AM
Quote from: guppymech on February 12, 2019, 07:38:40 PM
Thanks a lot
SR

What??? AA is not going to smack into powder coat. It will burn off as soon as the engine gets warm
Please don't do this
Been doing this since I bought my new FXLR 31 years ago, it works perfect.  To each his own.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Ironheadmike

boooby1744

I used original bike spirits Spray cleaner/ polish for years.

Kllongbrake

Are some of you talking about the engine wrinkle black and others talking about glosspowder coat? I can second that you're going to need abrasive to polish gloss PC. I have used Meguairs scratch X by hand to remove blemishes from gloss black powder coat without having to do the whole part. It works pretty damn good for small blems. I've heard WD-40 will bring back some black to faded or dirty wrinkle black engine paint but I wouldn't think armor all or WD-40 would do squat for gloss powder coat. Not saying it won't. Saying I don't think it will.

sandrooney

I am wanting to shine up the gloss powder coat, not the wrinkle black. Thanks.p

Kllongbrake

Quote from: sandrooney on February 17, 2019, 05:30:29 AM
I am wanting to shine up the gloss powder coat, not the wrinkle black. Thanks.p

Tried to PM you. Your box is full. I'd heed Phillyfan's advice. I know him from Roadglide.org and he knows his detailing. That's not to put anyone else down btw.